Replace Sony Sub - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
aaron.b
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98162
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti

FF Reputation: 1 aaron.b Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Installed the Rc punch sub referenced above tonight using a 3/4" spacer. Simply cut the stock wires and plugged them in to the rf sub connectors. Pretty straight forward using me myths instructions. It's not easy to get the bottom screws in to the sub....kinda butchered the spacer so it may not be air tight.....good thing I ordered 2! Once I take it back out to swap out the spacer I will also paint the next spacer I put in black for that factory look. Now to sound....I'm no audiophile but it's not a drastic change in my eyes (ears). It hits harder and puts out a tighter and lower bass. Definately more rattles. Worth $100? Maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #32
Fuzzygreen
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112148
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Fuzzygreen Good Standing Member
i decided to order the kicker 40cwrt82 instead, its a lot more expensive than the rockford one but i guess we'll see. i should have just ordered both of them and see wihch is better
Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #33
aaron.b
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98162
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti

FF Reputation: 1 aaron.b Good Standing Member
I have a feeling it won't make much of a difference. I don't know what the Sony amps wattage is but it is very low. I think to really get more bass, you'd need a bigger amp to power the sub.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #34
Fuzzygreen
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

the kicker one is about 3db more sensitive and that probably was the only reason i purchased it.

i'll report back once its working. perhaps i'll buy the RF too to compare.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #35
MrMyth
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106845
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus

FF Reputation: 2 MrMyth Good Standing Member
Bumping this to update my current setup. Once you go bass heavy you're always looking for more. I stuck with the Punch for about a month before I came across a great deal on a 2012 model Alpine Type R SWR-823D. In my old car I ran a sealed 10" Type R hooked to a Pioneer deck and loved the sound. I've been trying to get the Focus there and felt the Punch was good, but not quite at that level.
The 8" Type R fit in the stock box with the spacer, and it did sound better than the Punch. It blended into the system better, and its louder than the Punch. I was happy.

Then tracks from the Tron soundtrack came up in shuffle mode and the bottom end was still missing something. Dammit.

Looking into more options, Alpine makes a box for the 8" Type R. Its vented, but you can only get it loaded with a DVC 4 ohm sub. Finally found a deal bringing the box closer to $100 (again 2012 model- WTH are speakers doing with yearly models now?!?). Got the box, yanked out the 4ohm and replaced it with the 2ohm. Mounted it where the stock sub was with velcro on its back and bottom. Hasn't moved in three weeks of driving.

Got my low end back. The 8" Type R ported sounds like the sealed 10", all on stock amplification. No longer afraid to play any kind of music, been reliving my high school days with all the retrowave synthpop and house music that's out these days. Just wish I had gotten here sooner, instead of going through the 4ohm MB Quart, 2ohm RF Punch, and now 4ohm Type R sitting in my garage gathering dust. Could've had new headlights by now.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #36
Fuzzygreen
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

i thought i would unplug the rear speakers and just leave the sub running. i did that and did't bother to test it thinking it would be all be fine. boy was I wrong. unplugging the rear speakers disables the sub AND it seems to disable the parking assist beeping sounds too.

how odd??
Old 12-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
MrsRiot
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 127346
What I Drive: 2011 Ingot Silver SES Focus

FF Reputation: 1 MrsRiot Good Standing Member
Ok everyone, this is my first post and I'm sure the answer is obvious but how to I get the stock sub out of the box? After having tint put on my 2011 SES Focus, the sub is rattling big time, so I'm assuming they were listening to music pretty loudly in my car. Either way, I'd like to replace the stock sub and can't figure out how to get it out. Hope I don't come across as stupid! lol
Old 12-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #38
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRiot View Post
Ok everyone, this is my first post and I'm sure the answer is obvious but how to I get the stock sub out of the box? After having tint put on my 2011 SES Focus, the sub is rattling big time, so I'm assuming they were listening to music pretty loudly in my car. Either way, I'd like to replace the stock sub and can't figure out how to get it out. Hope I don't come across as stupid! lol
Hi, and welcome. The 2011 focus does not have the sony system, they were not available until the new 2012 focus came out. I don't know what your 11 has.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #39
MrsRiot
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
Hi, and welcome. The 2011 focus does not have the sony system, they were not available until the new 2012 focus came out. I don't know what your 11 has.
Hi and thank you!! It's just a cheap black plastic box, with an 8" sub in it. I can get you a pic of the box real quick. I took the screws out of the speaker cover, which those screws SHOULD be what's holding the speaker in, but the cover seems like it's really in there and isn't budging.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #40
MrsRiot
Focus Rookie

Bookmarks & Social Networks