2003 SVT has problems help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Svtfocus0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 170689
What I Drive: 2003 focus svt red

FF Reputation: 1 Svtfocus0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 SVT has problems help

I have read a lot of threads about this problem but I am still not figuring out my problem.
My car is overheating and the fans are not working.
I have tried a few things to try and figure it out.
1. Replaced thermostat and housing, tube for coolant, and coolant reservoir, and one relay and one fuse.
2. Test and put power to the fans at the connectors which I believe is before the resistor. When I put power from battery to the connectors only the driver side fan turns on. The other one does not turn on at all.
Also a side note the coolant will spray out of the reservoir when it gets hot and it will fill the reservoir even with little coolant in reservoir.
Please help I am just confused. Any advise I will try and greatly appreciate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat".
Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtfocus0 View Post
Also a side note the coolant will spray out of the reservoir when it gets hot and it will fill the reservoir even with little coolant in reservoir.
Forget about the fans not working for a minute.

First fix the leak at the reservoir. Those plastic canisters do crack with age. I had to replace mine. It might be your turn.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Fans should turn on if the AC is on. If they don't, start troubleshooting.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Svtfocus0
Focus Rookie

I bought a new reservoir and the only place it leaks at is the cap. The reservoir will fill all the way and then smoke causing cooking to spew out of the cap area. Reservoir has no cracks it's brand new.
Fan will not turn on unless I add 12 volts from battery straight to the connector.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Marde
Focus Addict

Quote:
I bought a new reservoir and the only place it leaks at is the cap. The reservoir will fill all the way and then smoke causing cooking to spew out of the cap area. Reservoir has no cracks it's brand new.
There are some aftermarket cheapos that have bad caps that vent prematurely. Did you replace it with a Ford brand?

Quote:
Fan will not turn on unless I add 12 volts from battery straight to the connector.
Should be somewhat easy to find the problem if you have the right wire diagram and are comfy using a multimeter. My 2004 wire diagram shows 3 different setups based on car model, and the SVT is not clearly communicated in the book. All others, no problem, but the SVT and my book and my eyeballs do not jive. With ZERO hands-on experience on an SVT, I always end up learning something the hard way here at FF.

1 - Without Second Engine Cooling Fan Motor
A single fan with high and low speed control. Controlled by a circuit that includes 1 relay.

2 - ZETEC-E, SPI, with, Dual Engine Cooling Fan
Two fans, always run together at either low or high speeds. Controlled by a circuit that includes 4 different relays.

3 - PZEV, with, Dual Engine Cooling Fan
Two fans, always run together at either low or high speeds. Controlled by a circuit that includes 2 different relays.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Svtfocus0
Focus Rookie

I did not buy a cheap one I believe. I had bought one from oreilys an I even kept other cap and have switched them and they both do it.
I have the svt motor and I believe it is ran off of two relays and two fuses. Replaced one relay and one fuse but it did not solve anything.
I'm really stumped and just want it fixed so I don't have to worry about cracking heads or cracking block etc
Old 06-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Svtfocus0
Focus Rookie

Does anyone have any idea on what to try next.
Replaced: tube for coolant to return, thermostat and housing, r16 relay(low speed fan relay), fuse #2 (engine cooling fan relay a/c), fuse #5 cooling fan 2, I have a new double set fans coming in,
Tested for power straight to the connector around 12 inches from fan wen I put power to fans only driver side fan turns on(passenger doesn't turn on even at connector.
Test light also shows no light when engine on and operating temp at the connector for the passenger cooling fan,(would this be a fuse box wiring problem or what other option do I have to check on?)
Help me please
Old 06-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Marde
Focus Addict

Quote:

Pic by TerryB

Do you have both of these connectors at the top of the fans C133 and C134? If you apply battery power directly to each of these (fan motor side) connectors does each fan run? I am guessing you have both connectors, and during testing only one of the fans work, so you likely have a dead fan motor.

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea on what to try next.
I have a new double set fans coming in,
Tested for power straight to the connector around 12 inches from fan wen I put power to fans only driver side fan turns on(passenger doesn't turn on even at connector.
Test light also shows no light when engine on and operating temp at the connector for the passenger cooling fan,(would this be a fuse box wiring problem or what other option do I have to check on?)
Help me please
I am so close to understanding what you have done, but still somewhat confused because of how you described your work. Either way, sounds like you have a dead fan motor and you have a new set of fans already ordered and on the way to your home. If your fan resistor & resistor connector are messed up or corroded you will likely not have any Low Speed fans, but will have High Speed fans when commanded on. Have you checked the health of your fan resistor and its' connection? -see highlighted section in pic above.

Are you sure connectors C1048 and C1406 are secure and wiring there is OK?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Fans on the SVT wont come on till 228 deg , you should see water spraying out of the cap till about 240-250 if you see it before this then you could have a blown HG or cracked head

I would find a scan tool and see what the water temps are and if the fans do come on at high 220 then see what the problem is going off the water temps

You have fuses , wiring , relays , head gasket , cracked head etc that could be bad

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks