Weird issue with 2012 SE 5 speed, no power - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #31
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sounds like my issue, jdcgmcse, though it is not related (for me) to cruise control, as I don't have it.

I spoke to the dealer about this issue, but they tried to deflect it (as usual). I tried to convey to them that there is next to no acceleration (regardless of gear, throttle position (even WOT)) until the car is restarted.

This indicates to me that it is an electronic gremlin. I plan on discussing this forcefully when it goes in for the wiper recall. A sudden power loss could be a safety issue if it happened at the wrong time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #32
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
From the descriptions, it sounds like maybe something is forcing the PCM into a "limp" mode. Well, except for the TC light coming on.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #33
djcgmcse
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84437
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE 5-Speed

FF Reputation: 1 djcgmcse Good Standing Member
Unfortunately the only way to get the dealership to understand the problem would be to get the car to the dealer while it's happening without turning off the car.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
...unless codes are being stored in memory when this happens.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #35
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrud View Post
I think that the issue I experienced is due to a traction control malfunction (~ECU software)...
Last week, I was surprised when the wheels started to break loose from a stop sign (in the wet) and the TC indicator did not come on.
I'll bring this up when it goes in for the windshield wiper recall.
Quote:
...I spoke to the dealer about this issue, but they tried to deflect it (as usual). I tried to convey to them that there is next to no acceleration (regardless of gear, throttle position (even WOT)) until the car is restarted.
This indicates to me that it is an electronic gremlin. I plan on discussing this forcefully when it goes in for the wiper recall. A sudden power loss could be a safety issue if it happened at the wrong time.
Hey unclebrud,

Well, try not to throw water on that gremlin; might do some serious damage to the Focus.

Drop me a line via PM with your your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN. I'll escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcesala View Post
I've been experiencing something similar in mine. the only way I can describe it like going in a car with lean ecu maps. it sounds like going faster but nothing happens. car doesn't accelerate until you change gear or rev up before releasing the clutch...
I'm just waiting for my first guarantee check at the dealer to ask about this cause it doesn't make sense to me that a new car has those kind of issues...
Welcome arcesala,

I love meeting new peeps from different parts of the world!

Hopefully, that guarantee check is not too far in the future. If it is, give the dealership a call, and set up an appointment. You can also speak to a representative at the local Customer Relationship Center, and have them document the concern. Give them a call at +1 (1) 313 594 4857.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcgmcse View Post
Just had this happen to me again today. Of the 3 times it's happened to me, it's always happened after dis-engaging the cruise control. Car had trouble getting above 65 no matter how much I floored it, in any gear....
Turning car off and back on always resolves so, so if I find myself at a stop I restart the car. Very annoying problem.
djcgmcse,

Sounds annoying.

I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. Shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN to begin the escalation process.

Take care!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #36
JayhawkDuke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98913
What I Drive: 2012 Focus, Black SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JayhawkDuke Good Standing Member
Does anybody with this problem have the My Key set up? That will limit your top speed...
Old 05-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #37
djcgmcse
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84437
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE 5-Speed

FF Reputation: 1 djcgmcse Good Standing Member
I thought about MyKey, but I checked and it's not setup at all. Also it's not really a rev limiter because you can very slowly gain speed. Also its slow from 0 too, so doesn't matter the speed.

I will PM my info to FordCustomerService.

Thanks, and everyone please update with anything new if something is discovered.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
I PM'd Naomi. I think it could be with the ECU (it's happening on the S, too, which doesn't have MyKey).
Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #39
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkDuke View Post
Does anybody with this problem have the My Key set up? That will limit your top speed...
Hey JayhawkDuke,

Hmmm...that's a thought; however, the MyKey system needs to be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcgmcse View Post
I thought about MyKey, but I checked and it's not setup at all. Also it's not really a rev limiter because you can very slowly gain speed. Also its slow from 0 too, so doesn't matter the speed.
I will PM my info to FordCustomerService...
Hi djcgmcse,

I don't see a message from you.

Quote:
I PM'd Naomi. I think it could be with the ECU (it's happening on the S, too, which doesn't have MyKey).
unclebrud,

I received yours! I'll be working on escalating the concern early next week

Take care, and have a GREAT holiday!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #40
mike_s_82
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96343
What I Drive: 2013 Rubu Red, SE, Manual, Sync

FF Reputation: 1 mike_s_82 Good Standing Member
This is the second time it's happened to me. Both times it happened, it was on rainy days. Anyone else note the weather when it happens? I thought it was bad gas since I did fill up this morning, but it goes away on a restart.
Power Moonroof

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->