2013 rumbling and shaking on acceleration - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
peterj1994
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114517
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 peterj1994 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 rumbling and shaking on acceleration

About 8 months ago I bought my first brand new car, a 2013 ford focus. For about the first 7k miles everything has been fine, but in the last week and half or so I have noticed a problem that has me fairly worried.

On acceleration from a stop, right as the rpm's top and the gear is about to shift I hear a clanking noise coming from the front of the car. It sounds like someone rattling marbles in a tin can or dragging a shovel across pavement. Sometimes, this rumbling is accompanied by a mild shaking of the car. When it does happen, it feels like something is grinding together and vibrating the car. This only happens for the first two gear shifts, after which the car runs fine.

I've watched the RPM meter, and as the rumbling happens it seems to stall, then jumps up once it's complete.

I've done a little research, and found people claiming something similar. It seems most were told by the dealer that this is normal, and due to the way the automatic transmission is made. My problem with this is; if that's the case why has it taken over 7k miles for it to act up?

If anyone could give me their opinions or advice I would really appreciate it. I plan to take it to the dealer here soon and hope for the best, but with work and school finishing up I can't really afford to be out of a car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
vegachicago
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

Points 1,004, Level 17
Points: 1,004, Level: 17 Points: 1,004, Level: 17 Points: 1,004, Level: 17
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
I'm in Chicago and have a 2012 SEL. The same happened to me around 6-7 thousand and I took the car in and they looked it over and said all OK. It went away at around 10,000 miles. Does the studdering once in a while with the noise but less loud now. But, she still hums along. Get use to it, its almost permanent. I don't think it hurts or is going to leave you stranded. Good luck with the School stuff.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
RetiredSoon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114525
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 RetiredSoon Good Standing Member
Clutch Problems

I just hit 30,000 kms and car was shuddering on 1st and 2nd gear acceleration, but only noticeable after the car had been warmed up and driven for at least 1/2 hour. I have had this shudder since 20,000 kms but could not get it to my dealership during business hours, since I had to be driving for at least 1/2 hr to make it shudder, and they would not even look at it until I could bring it in while it was shuddering. They have had my car for 1 week now and said they are waiting for a dual clutch assembly from Ford to replace the original. When the tech took it for a test drive, he said immediately it was transmission shudder and was going to reprogram the transmision. When they dug a bit deeper, they discovered the clutch problem. The Ford dealership originally told me back when the car only had 20,000 kms that they had not heard of any 2012 focus transmission issues but when the technician took the car for a drive at 30,000 kms, he seemed to know right away what the problem was. So I think that they are well aware of this issue.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Oh believe me they know there are problems but by repairing it basically means they are standing behind their warranty which they know legally they have to. If everyone is satisfied that the repairs are being done most won't take the issue further. BUTwhat do owners do after the warranty expires?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj1994 View Post
About 8 months ago I bought my first brand new car, a 2013 ford focus. For about the first 7k miles everything has been fine, but in the last week and half or so I have noticed a problem that has me fairly worried.

On acceleration from a stop, right as the rpm's top and the gear is about to shift I hear a clanking noise coming from the front of the car. It sounds like someone rattling marbles in a tin can or dragging a shovel across pavement. Sometimes, this rumbling is accompanied by a mild shaking of the car. When it does happen, it feels like something is grinding together and vibrating the car. This only happens for the first two gear shifts, after which the car runs fine.

I've watched the RPM meter, and as the rumbling happens it seems to stall, then jumps up once it's complete.

I've done a little research, and found people claiming something similar. It seems most were told by the dealer that this is normal, and due to the way the automatic transmission is made. My problem with this is; if that's the case why has it taken over 7k miles for it to act up?

If anyone could give me their opinions or advice I would really appreciate it. I plan to take it to the dealer here soon and hope for the best, but with work and school finishing up I can't really afford to be out of a car.
Fellow worker/student!! I don't know you personally, but in principle.

I bought a 2012 Focus SEL last year. "The noise" started for me at ~600 miles. I now have 5500 miles on mine. "The noise" is pretty much normal, especially after the car is in use. Despite "the noise" the transmission is fluid in feel (more than every other automatic I've ever owned). I can definitely feel your apprehension as I've been there too, but you'll be okay.

No shuddering or shaking for me yet, though... actually, the car had that problem until firmware 12B37 was applied. But your car, being newer, would have that revision already. If not a newer one tuned to the transmission, which was slightly revised from the '12 model as I recall.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostinger View Post
Oh believe me they know there are problems but by repairing it basically means they are standing behind their warranty which they know legally they have to. If everyone is satisfied that the repairs are being done most won't take the issue further. BUTwhat do owners do after the warranty expires?
Given the amount of people involved, and the long history that might invariably come about when everybody stands up in unison, there are possible options... if it comes to pass...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

Points 13,894, Level 76
Points: 13,894, Level: 76 Points: 13,894, Level: 76 Points: 13,894, Level: 76
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
Woah, I've never heard Of a DCT shuddering when you slowly pull out. Weird.

Please use the search function
Old 05-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
skramblr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86363
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL & 2012 Mustang GT

Points 292, Level 5
Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 skramblr Good Standing Member
Ours developed the noise after about 6 months. Makes the sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Not too bad with the windows closed but now that the weather is better it's a bit annoying. The dealer says it is normal and that other cars brought in for service also have this noise.

But... this is going to kill the resell value on these cars. I know if the focus made this noise when I test drove it, I would have never purchased it. I'm thinking any perspective buyer is going to walk away when they hear that sound and feel the slight hesitation.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,469, Level 36
Points: 3,469, Level: 36 Points: 3,469, Level: 36 Points: 3,469, Level: 36
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone,

If you're experiencing this rumbling or shaking, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so a tech can perform an inspection. I'm also here to assist in any way I can; send me your details in a PM and I'll check out some options. Please include your name, phone number, preferred servicing dealership, current mileage, and VIN. If you live in Canada, I suggest that you call my colleagues at Ford Canada so they can help. They can be contacted at 1-800-565-3673.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 05-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
If you're experiencing this rumbling or shaking, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so a tech can perform an inspection.
Crystal,

I think everyone here appreciates your good intentions with this. However, Ford Motor Corporation doesn't seem to understand the perspective of a customer very well. I'm very tired of being told to lose a half day of work so I can sit around a dealership while the service tech doesn't bother to seriously attempt to repeat a problem and just sends a "hotline request"... and makes me wait hours for the response - which usually amounts to "No service action."

(I also really like the ones where they tell customers that in order for the transmission to act properly, they have to drive like a maniac.)

Perhaps if Ford was actually more interested in solving the problem and less interested in insulting the intelligence of it's customers, it would be a different story.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.