Adding in Navigation? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #41
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
LOL....... Lockpick has been doing fine so far without issue, as long as the aftermarket company does nothing to infringe any copyrighted software, there is no legal concern. Its no different than a home computer..... I own the car and MFT that is in it, if I want to add a piece of software or hardware that changes how I use the device, it is no ones business but mine.... Try thinking outside of the box Kabigon.
Why do you think that there is no copyrighted software (app or database) for the navigation? Isn't the IP of a software (or navigation database) company usually protected by some kind of legal agreement?

On MFT:
Settings -> Installed Apps -> View Software Licenses
If you have navigation, you will see "Navigation North America".

In any case, it's not possible to enable software (in this case, the navigation software in the APIM) that doesn't exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #42
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96686
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
What did I miss?
The point was to make them answer. Not you. I know the answer, or at least we all think we do. I want to hear it from the horses mouth...

"Yes it is simply a firmware difference that could be changed with an update or dealer reprogramming and no we can't offer it because of a licensing issue, or dealer agreements, or because we don't want your money."

I don't care what the answer is, I just want more than a "no."
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #43
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyes View Post
The option for navigation is programed to the pcm when the vehicle is built. Find a dealer to program your pcm with data from an identical navigation equipped vehicle, load the navigation software and add the nav data card. In the end it would leave you with a bill from the dealer for about $600 and a vehicle out of warranty. Along with a dealership who would be in very hot water from ford.
Umm, no.

A swapped APIM has already worked, the PCM had no bearing or effect.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #44
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Well, I agree with you, BUT, it is quite easy to understand why... MONEY. They want to sell it on the front end and make a larger profit, but, really, you can't expect a Ford employee on this forum to give an answer other than what their customer help files are giving them. And I don't blame them one bit, even if they were to "speculate" themselves, they would be risking their job, and over what? A bunch of us "whining" on an internet forum about how easy it "should" be to do something....
I'm sure aftermarket companies will have solutions for us in do time (Lockpick comes to mind since the MFT/MLT is basically the same in all models now)...

Money? Shit they could make more selling it after the fact.

They invoice nav at $695 from the factory. Instead they could invoice the update at $750, still sell it for $795 at the dealer, but allow dealers to charge a $75 upgrade fee.

Everyone makes more money.

I do understand that Jaclyn's cue cards say one thing but there are people above her that can make decisions on how to better appease customers with information. I am not calling out Jaclyn individually but Ford as an entity.

Sure they could construe it as a bunch of whiny people on some Internet forum, or they could interpret it as a segment of their market who happen to be willing to interact with Ford reps rather than just settle for less and who may just have ideas that are worth discussing internally.

In any event, I'll continue using my Droid for nav on the rare occasion I actually need it and wait for some more folks to total their nav enabled Foci.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #45
dalbeck
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98629
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 dalbeck Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrlandy View Post
I just finished installing a nav mft sync unit in my 2012 titanium. I bought the full nav unit from a wrecked car on ebay for $500, i took a chance. It works like it was factory oem. I thought the unit might be tied to the vin, but there are no issues, even the nav sync voice commands work. Very easy to disassemble center console, short wires to disconnect hazard/ door lock ( careful disconnecting this one) and one for the sony cd. Then 4 torx 20 screws and straight swapped units, all connectors look the same. I just dont have/see the usb extension for the backup camera. Both units look identical in every way, so it must just be a software update to enable the feature on the non nav units. Now i have a extra new center bezel and non nav mft sync services / sony cd unit. The bezel would work great for double din aftermarket installs.

I got full oem nav for $500, sweet.
Was this the one you purchased: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...c#ht_500wt_922

I was watching this and was very close to bidding but wasn't sure if it would work out =|
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #46
Tyson
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99177
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Tyson Good Standing Member
Quote:
I just finished installing a nav mft sync unit in my 2012 titanium. I bought the full nav unit from a wrecked car on ebay for $500, i took a chance. It works like it was factory oem. I thought the unit might be tied to the vin, but there are no issues, even the nav sync voice commands work. Very easy to disassemble center console, short wires to disconnect hazard/ door lock ( careful disconnecting this one) and one for the sony cd. Then 4 torx 20 screws and straight swapped units, all connectors look the same. I just dont have/see the usb extension for the backup camera. Both units look identical in every way, so it must just be a software update to enable the feature on the non nav units. Now i have a extra new center bezel and non nav mft sync services / sony cd unit. The bezel would work great for double din aftermarket installs.

I got full oem nav for $500, sweet.

Totally amazing thanks for guinea piggin the swap. Totally the best news ever and one giant leap in non nav enabled MFT peeps wanting nav.

APIM module attached to MFT another interesting point. I wonder if a APIM swap is possible.

One other note in the APIM diagnostics screen I find a lot of errors relating to what my car contains ie. off the top of my head it states I don't have heated seats when I clearly do also says my body is a sedan when its clearly a hatch uhhh I think something about not having rear climate (not sure about this one but under the front seats are a bunch of vents) there are more just cant think of them anyone else notice options not matching?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #47
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Totally amazing thanks for guinea piggin the swap. Totally the best news ever and one giant leap in non nav enabled MFT peeps wanting nav.

APIM module attached to MFT another interesting point. I wonder if a APIM swap is possible.

One other note in the APIM diagnostics screen I find a lot of errors relating to what my car contains ie. off the top of my head it states I don't have heated seats when I clearly do also says my body is a sedan when its clearly a hatch uhhh I think something about not having rear climate (not sure about this one but under the front seats are a bunch of vents) there are more just cant think of them anyone else notice options not matching?
While you have floor ducts going to the rear you don't have the rear as a seperate zone which is probably what the "rear climate" is referring to. Since there is no way of seperately controlling the temperature of the rear of the vehicle, it is a function of the flow through ventilation from the front vents and the floor ducts, where as on some of the SUVs such as the Explorer has seperate rear vents and hvac controls for rear seat passengers.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #48
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99623
What I Drive: 2012 focus titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Mrlandy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post

Yes, I am extremly happy after my 3rd day of using hte nav. Does anyone know how to assign the seering wheel star 1&2 buttons? On mine, button 1 doesn't so anything and button 2 launches sync services. I would like to assign a button to the nav screen since I have to select that view everytime I get into my car, kind of a pain.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #49
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yes, I am extremly happy after my 3rd day of using hte nav. Does anyone know how to assign the seering wheel star 1&2 buttons? On mine, button 1 doesn't so anything and button 2 launches sync services. I would like to assign a button to the nav screen since I have to select that view everytime I get into my car, kind of a pain.
I know how you USED to be able to assign them. Ford took that ability away and called it an "upgrade". You can't do it anymore. Know what you mean though because the Nav screen was one of the screens I had programmed to one of the buttons and it was (WAS) convenient. Not so convenient anymore.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #50
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
[...]the Nav screen was one of the screens I had programmed to one of the buttons and it was (WAS) convenient.
Good call. Probably nifty if you're gonna get lost - plus, you won't have to lean over to get to the top right most corner of the screen either.

Bookmarks & Social Networks