Adding in Navigation? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
lol what? No they offered it in the MFT.
Most of the times a dealer tries to add in an option after the fact it usually ends up being a hacked up mess, at least from what I've heard. Besides every official source says that unless the car was specifically ordered/ built with the navigation enabled its unlikely that it would be as easy as flashing the module and adding the sd card, or else it wouldn't be worth nearly as much.

When I went to look at a few cars, I found one that was close, but it didn't have the winter package, so they were trying to tell me they could get the mats from the service department and add in heated seats, but they were cagey about how they would accomplish this. Besides if they did manage to make it work it wouldn't match the build configuration in Oasis, so if you ever had a warranty concern with MFT and they checked to see that the car was built without navigation but you were having issues with navigation or as a result of having it installed they might invalidate any claims for service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I understand why they don't allow adding nav after purchase. They need to protect their ability to sell nav up front.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
jmiller72
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96814
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SEL / 2009 F150

FF Reputation: 1 jmiller72 Good Standing Member
They can do it, they just don't want to. FORD that is...
2009 F-150 XL RC 4x2 8' Bed (son)
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
My Focus has the Ford Sync and not the Touch. I've used the Services Nav a couple of times and it works great. It uses your synced cell phone GPS for those that aren't familiar. The biggest reason I would want fullblown nav over a cell phone is I'm often in areas that have spotty cell coverage. The other reason is the obvious lack of clutter. I don't like dangling wires or a GPS stuck up on top of the dash but will live with it over being lost :) I keep the Garmin Nuvi in the console in case it's needed.
The Sync Services uses the GPS receiver that is part of all cars equipped with Sync. It uses your cell phone for the data link to Sync services to download the driving instructions but doesn't use the phone after that unless you miss a turn and it needs to recalculate.

If you down load a GPS navigation app to your smart phone it does not require a cell connection to work, it uses the GPS receiver in the phone. I use GPSDrive on my iPhone and have been in areas with no cell coverage and it works just fine.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
TdK71
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85480
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Blue Candy Metallic Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TdK71 Good Standing Member
In a few years as MFT becomes more prevalent, my thought is that Ford will probably relax the restrictions on when Nav can be added post sales.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
Then why did my dealer offer to put the navigation in my Focus when I bought it? We're they trying to rip me off?!
It's possible that the dealer was misinformed and thought adding nav was as simple as popping in an SD card, but that's not the case.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99623
What I Drive: 2012 focus titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Mrlandy Good Standing Member
I added oem nav to non nav sync services titanium

I just finished installing a nav mft sync unit in my 2012 titanium. I bought the full nav unit from a wrecked car on ebay for $500, i took a chance. It works like it was factory oem. I thought the unit might be tied to the vin, but there are no issues, even the nav sync voice commands work. Very easy to disassemble center console, short wires to disconnect hazard/ door lock ( careful disconnecting this one) and one for the sony cd. Then 4 torx 20 screws and straight swapped units, all connectors look the same. I just dont have/see the usb extension for the backup camera. Both units look identical in every way, so it must just be a software update to enable the feature on the non nav units. Now i have a extra new center bezel and non nav mft sync services / sony cd unit. The bezel would work great for double din aftermarket installs.

I got full oem nav for $500, sweet.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #28
sonyes
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100385
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 sonyes Good Standing Member
Mrlandy, congrats on your frankenstein install. Be careful though, if you ever need to have your sync updated from a dealer you'll most likely lose the navigation application. The ability for a module to be programmed with the nav app is based on pcm data that is coded from the factory.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyes View Post
Be careful though, if you ever need to have your sync updated from a dealer you'll most likely lose the navigation application. The ability for a module to be programmed with the nav app is based on pcm data that is coded from the factory.
I don't doubt the accuracy of this statement, but if it's possible to lose NAV via a software update, I don't see why it can't be added via a software update.

EDIT: Also Kudos to Mrlandy for checking into this for us!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #30
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99623
What I Drive: 2012 focus titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Mrlandy Good Standing Member
I updated with the a3 fully expecting a vin issue, but all worked well. I even did the service report and it now shows my car with nav on myfordsync site. I have zuric and it says they support all upgrades unlike the ford warranty. If a tech can erase the nav ( which i doubt, id have something to say about it). My install is essentially factory, no wires cut, hardly frankenstein.

Bookmarks & Social Networks