Adding in Navigation? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #11
ResJudicata
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94971
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 ResJudicata Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got it in my Titanium and use it often enough that I'm glad I did. It works well and doesn't seem to distress the system any more than anything else. I just take a pause between button pushes to let the system keep up and all seems good. The only time I've really had trouble is when I tried to use a thumbdrive with music and it made me pull the fuse to reset. I hope the upgrade corrects that problem.

I needed an integrated Nav since I already have phone and radar detector plugged into the car I didn't want to plug anything else in. And my phone doesn't have Nav.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
Sargetalon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95695
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Sargetalon Good Standing Member
I personally did not get the nav, not because I didn't want it but because the vehicle I fell in love with just didn't have it. It's not as simple as just plugging an SD card in and from what I've read, nobody has been successful yet at reprogramming the APIM. I'm hopeful that it will be offered at a later date as an add-on since it seems all the hardware is in place.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Fringe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95955
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5DR Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Fringe Good Standing Member
My Focus has the Ford Sync and not the Touch. I've used the Services Nav a couple of times and it works great. It uses your synced cell phone GPS for those that aren't familiar. The biggest reason I would want fullblown nav over a cell phone is I'm often in areas that have spotty cell coverage. The other reason is the obvious lack of clutter. I don't like dangling wires or a GPS stuck up on top of the dash but will live with it over being lost :) I keep the Garmin Nuvi in the console in case it's needed.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfitzp View Post
So I've seen threads about people adding in the navigation after they bought their cars but wouldnt want to spend the extra money on getting a dealer to install it.

Is it more than just an sd card?
Could someone just upload an image from the SD card let everyone download it and let it work?

is there more to it than just the SD card?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyPlanet View Post
You cannot just use a SD card. It is also enabled via hardware.
Hey, brfitzp! I just wanted to confirm, DailyPlanet is spot-on. It cannot be added after the fact.

For those of you without navigation, the Performance Upgrade software is available for download on SyncMyRide.com.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. :)

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Dunka
ɔıʇɐuɐɟ snɔoɟ

Fan#: 94911
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Dunka Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Hey, brfitzp! I just wanted to confirm, DailyPlanet is spot-on. It cannot be added after the fact.

For those of you without navigation, the Performance Upgrade software is available for download on SyncMyRide.com.

Jaclyn
I know this is dated information but according to this article from PC Magazine:

"Navigation Capabilities on All MyFord Touch Cars - But It Ships Disabled
Ford explains: When you take delivery of a Ford with MyFord Touch or Lincoln with MyLincoln Touch, you get a vehicle with an 8-inch touchscreen and you also get the navigation application embedded in the car. But it's no good without the navigation SD card, for which you pay $795, and then Ford activates the car and enables navigation. That apparently means you can choose to have factory onboard navigation the day you take delivery. Or, later on, you can choose between factory navigation or a third-party portable GPS system that will be clunky, take up space on the windshield, and cost half what Ford charges."

Will Ford Sync's New Navigation Card Tempt Thieves?
HatchNation #51
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunka View Post
I know this is dated information but according to this article from PC Magazine:

Ford explains: When you take delivery of a Ford with MyFord Touch or Lincoln with MyLincoln Touch, you get a vehicle with an 8-inch touchscreen and you also get the navigation application embedded in the car. But it's no good without the navigation SD card, for which you pay $795, and then Ford activates the car and enables navigation. That apparently means you can choose to have factory onboard navigation the day you take delivery. Or, later on, you can choose between factory navigation or a third-party portable GPS system that will be clunky, take up space on the windshield, and cost half what Ford charges."
Vehicles with nav. have the SD card and and different APIM firmware.
There is no hardware difference between nav. and non nav. vehicles.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunka View Post

Will Ford Sync's New Navigation Card Tempt Thieves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Vehicles with nav. have the SD card and and different APIM firmware.
There is no hardware difference between nav. and non nav. vehicles.
That's how it appears Dunka, but if you read further into the article, you'll see a response from our PR spokesman, Alan Hall who better explains:

"We're not creating a market for stolen SD cards," said Ford spokesman Alan Hall, "because they only work in vehicles that originally ordered the capability in the first place."

"The SD cards are not locked to individual VINs, so technically it is possible to switch from MyFord Touch-equipped vehicle to vehicle," said Ford spokesman Alan Hall. "But, the navigation capability will only work if that vehicle was originally ordered with the navigation option, and therefore received a SD card upon purchase."

Therefore, you can switch SD cards between MFT/MLT vehicles that are both equipped with navigation, but that wouldn't make any sense to do that.

If you have additional questions, let me know.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post

Jaclyn
Then why did my dealer offer to put the navigation in my Focus when I bought it? We're they trying to rip me off?!

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
Then why did my dealer offer to put the navigation in my Focus when I bought it? We're they trying to rip me off?!
They would likely probably just "install" a garmin or tom tom portable unit, although they might hard wire it, unless they were going to try and hack the mf/mft unit to add in nav after the fact via a software flash, but its likely that it wouldn't be covered under the factory warranty should any issues arise due to their mucking around with wiring or the mf/sync control units.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
They would likely probably just "install" a garmin or tom tom portable unit, although they might hard wire it, unless they were going to try and hack the mf/mft unit to add in nav after the fact via a software flash, but its likely that it wouldn't be covered under the factory warranty should any issues arise due to their mucking around with wiring or the mf/sync control units.
lol what? No they offered it in the MFT.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992

Bookmarks & Social Networks