Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Adding in Navigation?

141K views 170 replies 57 participants last post by  dbsimms63 
#1 ·
So I've seen threads about people adding in the navigation after they bought their cars but wouldnt want to spend the extra money on getting a dealer to install it.

Is it more than just an sd card?
Could someone just upload an image from the SD card let everyone download it and let it work?

is there more to it than just the SD card?

#4 ·
I have an iPhone, and a TomTom GPS with lifetime maps and traffic. I find the GPS built in to MyFord Touch to be just as accurate as either of these.

P.S. Why a salesman would say that is incomprehensible, as his commission would only go up for selling a car with nav. Unless he was trying to get rid of a car sitting in the lot without nav.

#11 ·
I got it in my Titanium and use it often enough that I'm glad I did. It works well and doesn't seem to distress the system any more than anything else. I just take a pause between button pushes to let the system keep up and all seems good. The only time I've really had trouble is when I tried to use a thumbdrive with music and it made me pull the fuse to reset. I hope the upgrade corrects that problem.

I needed an integrated Nav since I already have phone and radar detector plugged into the car I didn't want to plug anything else in. And my phone doesn't have Nav.

Chris

#12 ·
I personally did not get the nav, not because I didn't want it but because the vehicle I fell in love with just didn't have it. It's not as simple as just plugging an SD card in and from what I've read, nobody has been successful yet at reprogramming the APIM. I'm hopeful that it will be offered at a later date as an add-on since it seems all the hardware is in place.

#13 ·
My Focus has the Ford Sync and not the Touch. I've used the Services Nav a couple of times and it works great. It uses your synced cell phone GPS for those that aren't familiar. The biggest reason I would want fullblown nav over a cell phone is I'm often in areas that have spotty cell coverage. The other reason is the obvious lack of clutter. I don't like dangling wires or a GPS stuck up on top of the dash but will live with it over being lost :) I keep the Garmin Nuvi in the console in case it's needed.

#24 ·
The Sync Services uses the GPS receiver that is part of all cars equipped with Sync. It uses your cell phone for the data link to Sync services to download the driving instructions but doesn't use the phone after that unless you miss a turn and it needs to recalculate.

If you down load a GPS navigation app to your smart phone it does not require a cell connection to work, it uses the GPS receiver in the phone. I use GPSDrive on my iPhone and have been in areas with no cell coverage and it works just fine.

#14 ·
You cannot just use a SD card. It is also enabled via hardware.
Hey, brfitzp! I just wanted to confirm, DailyPlanet is spot-on. It cannot be added after the fact.

For those of you without navigation, the Performance Upgrade software is available for download on SyncMyRide.com.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. :)

Jaclyn

#15 ·
I know this is dated information but according to this article from PC Magazine:

"Navigation Capabilities on All MyFord Touch Cars - But It Ships Disabled
Ford explains: When you take delivery of a Ford with MyFord Touch or Lincoln with MyLincoln Touch, you get a vehicle with an 8-inch touchscreen and you also get the navigation application embedded in the car. But it's no good without the navigation SD card, for which you pay $795, and then Ford activates the car and enables navigation. That apparently means you can choose to have factory onboard navigation the day you take delivery. Or, later on, you can choose between factory navigation or a third-party portable GPS system that will be clunky, take up space on the windshield, and cost half what Ford charges."

Will Ford Sync's New Navigation Card Tempt Thieves?

#27 ·
I added oem nav to non nav sync services titanium

I just finished installing a nav mft sync unit in my 2012 titanium. I bought the full nav unit from a wrecked car on ebay for $500, i took a chance. It works like it was factory oem. I thought the unit might be tied to the vin, but there are no issues, even the nav sync voice commands work. Very easy to disassemble center console, short wires to disconnect hazard/ door lock ( careful disconnecting this one) and one for the sony cd. Then 4 torx 20 screws and straight swapped units, all connectors look the same. I just dont have/see the usb extension for the backup camera. Both units look identical in every way, so it must just be a software update to enable the feature on the non nav units. Now i have a extra new center bezel and non nav mft sync services / sony cd unit. The bezel would work great for double din aftermarket installs.

I got full oem nav for $500, sweet.

#45 ·
I just finished installing a nav mft sync unit in my 2012 titanium. I bought the full nav unit from a wrecked car on ebay for $500, i took a chance. It works like it was factory oem. I thought the unit might be tied to the vin, but there are no issues, even the nav sync voice commands work. Very easy to disassemble center console, short wires to disconnect hazard/ door lock ( careful disconnecting this one) and one for the sony cd. Then 4 torx 20 screws and straight swapped units, all connectors look the same. I just dont have/see the usb extension for the backup camera. Both units look identical in every way, so it must just be a software update to enable the feature on the non nav units. Now i have a extra new center bezel and non nav mft sync services / sony cd unit. The bezel would work great for double din aftermarket installs.

I got full oem nav for $500, sweet.
Was this the one you purchased: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...RK:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_922

I was watching this and was very close to bidding but wasn't sure if it would work out =|

#28 ·
Mrlandy, congrats on your frankenstein install. Be careful though, if you ever need to have your sync updated from a dealer you'll most likely lose the navigation application. The ability for a module to be programmed with the nav app is based on pcm data that is coded from the factory.

#29 ·
Be careful though, if you ever need to have your sync updated from a dealer you'll most likely lose the navigation application. The ability for a module to be programmed with the nav app is based on pcm data that is coded from the factory.
I don't doubt the accuracy of this statement, but if it's possible to lose NAV via a software update, I don't see why it can't be added via a software update.

EDIT: Also Kudos to Mrlandy for checking into this for us!

#30 ·
I updated with the a3 fully expecting a vin issue, but all worked well. I even did the service report and it now shows my car with nav on myfordsync site. I have zuric and it says they support all upgrades unlike the ford warranty. If a tech can erase the nav ( which i doubt, id have something to say about it). My install is essentially factory, no wires cut, hardly frankenstein.

#39 ·
The option for navigation is programed to the pcm when the vehicle is built. Find a dealer to program your pcm with data from an identical navigation equipped vehicle, load the navigation software and add the nav data card. In the end it would leave you with a bill from the dealer for about $600 and a vehicle out of warranty. Along with a dealership who would be in very hot water from ford.

#40 ·
Very happy

I would reccomend this upgrade to anyone with the sync services turn by turn navigation. The entire install took less than 1.5 hours, Including one hour for the a3 update. The focus center bezel is only held on by 2 torx 20 screws. The units were physically the same and the same connections made to the factory wiring. I have an open (grey) usb port that must be for the camera, but i don't see the lead. I may try a camera install in the future.

#57 ·
Ordered a BOSS backup camera and a fuji camera, rca to usb mini b adapter. I will try to install the backup camera from the hatch, down the driver side and under the dash to the grey open usb port on the rear of the unit. I will splice the power off of the reverse lights. I'll post pics when the install is complete. I hope it works.

#62 ·
Mine were programmed and I lost those settings after update. I've seen others on here that were able to keep theirs as well and some that were not able to. Some got lucky and some did not apparently.

#67 ·
I have been looking for a 2012 focus wiring diagram. I thought the camera would pug into the oprn grey usb b type port on the sync unit. Anyone know where the camera is spliced? I have seen a few diagrams for sync with nav that show where the pins need to be placed into the stock harness on a 2011 f150 diagram for the connection, but i would want to verify this with a 2012 focus wiring diagram. Anyone have a drawing?

#68 ·
APIM connector C2383 (54 pins):

pin 14 - REAR VIEW CAMERA SIGNAL
pin 15 - REAR VIEW CAMERA RETURN

The camera (video) signal is analog, not digital (USB).

There is also another module IPM-B (Image Processing Module). The system operation is as follows:

All of the video camera features are enabled and disabled within the FDIM menu screen. The video camera system has 5 video features:
•Fixed guidelines — this feature assists the driver with aligning the vehicle with an object.
•Active guidelines — this feature projects the intended path of the vehicle based upon steering wheel input.
•Visual park aid alert — this feature assists the driver to visually see the object causing the parking aid system to sound.
•Manual zoom — this feature assists the driver with connecting or towing a trailer allowing the driver to manually zoom closer to an object behind the vehicle.
•Video camera delay — this feature allows the driver to see the image behind the vehicle after the vehicle is shifted out of REVERSE. The image will not be displayed if the vehicle is shifted into PARK.

For each one of these system features except the camera delay feature, the APIM receives the FDIM touch inputs and sends backup camera commands to the IPM-B. The IPM-B then sends the command to the video camera. The video camera outputs the video signal to the APIM which in turn displays the video on the FDIM.

The video camera delay feature is controlled within the APIM.

The IPM-B and the video camera communicate on a LIN which is a dedicated single wire communication network.

The messages sent from the IPM-B to the video camera are:
•transmission selector (PRNDL) status
•liftgate ajar status
•camera configuration data
•display manual zoom request
•parking aid audible warning status
•parking aid sensor distance to object data

The messages sent from the video camera to the IPM-B are:
•camera status
•display zoom status
•camera part number data
•visual park aid alert status
•fixed guideline status

#69 ·
This is great. I am unsure of where to connect video +, Video -, 12v and reverse wire. It is only a 4 wire install. Can someone list color wire codes for the above pinouts. I can also add the pins to the stock harness, but it would be great to be able to see a diagram of the pinouts before I start guessing. I'll send pics of the process.

#71 ·
Hey guys, I am currently in the same situation as the OP in that I love my new car and it is loaded with every option I could want, except the navigation. I have been searching all over for a solution that will allow me to have it added in, but it seems that this is still not allowed by Ford at this time. The good news is that us with an iPhone are going to be getting turn by turn navigation in upcoming IOS 6 which seems like it will play nice with My Ford Touch.

#72 ·
Hey, Mooch -

Are you familiar with SYNC Services? If you're the original owner, you should have received a complimentary 3-year subscription. SYNC Services allows you to access turn-by-turn directions, news, traffic, weather, sports, and my personal favorite, a daily horoscopes. :)

For an overview, check out:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync

Another option is our Send to SYNC feature. This lets you find businesses and addresses from MapQuest and sends the directions to your vehicle through SYNC!

For instructions, see:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technology/send-to-sync

Let me know if you have any questions. [driving]

Jaclyn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.