Windows tinted....slight problem... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
inxsary
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97854
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 inxsary Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Windows tinted....slight problem...

If this is too OT for this forum, mods please move to a more appropriate place! :)

This weekend I got the windows on my new 2012 SE hatch tinted. An associate of mine did it, as she runs a small at-home tinting business. She had previously tinted my husband's 2008 Focus sedan and did a great job. She is putting herself through EMT/Fire school and I like to send business her way. She also gave me a discount on both jobs.

Anyway, the tint job was almost complete and everything was looking excellent when she somehow got black paint (from a touch-up paint pen) on my light grey headliner, near the passenger side sun visor. It's a spot about 1/2" long and 1/4" wide, not very big. You don't really notice it from the driver's side but you definitely see it from the passenger seat.

We tried to get it out using everything available to us at the time- kaboom, hydrogen peroxide, acetone, rubbing alcohol, graffiti remover, laundry detergent, tuff stuff, etc. It faded a little, but it's still there.

While I'm a little upset at it (if this is the biggest problem of my week, then my life is pretty swell)...I mean, the car has less than 3000 miles on it and now I've got a paint splotch on my interior.... my friend is aghast. She apologized over and over, did not charge me for the tint job, and won't even take money for the materials, which I offered. She now says she owes me for a headliner.....

....which according to the fordparts.com site is going to run around $800-900 just for the headliner, never mind the labor.

I really can't do that to her. She doesn't have the $$ to pay for something like that. On the other hand, she did make a mistake in the course of business.

So, what would you all do in my situation?

My options seem to be:
1. Let her pay for a new headliner and installation.
2. Do nothing, put something over the mark (a button or pin?) and take the free tint job as compensation.
3. Ease my conscience and pay for the materials and live with the mark.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!
-Karen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
dirtbrown
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: ganjabus

FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
you were already doing this at someones home so too me the most logical and moral way to go about this is just go with number 2 and buy her some lunch.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbrown View Post
you were already doing this at someones home so too me the most logical and moral way to go about this is just go with number 2 and buy her some lunch.
This

Start looking for headliners from a wreck if it really bothers.

I had an aftermarket moonroof put in my 95 Tbird. As I am a incorrigible tinkerer, I wanted to wire a LED into the rocker switch to light up at night. I did that, but in the process put an X-Acto knife slice in the headliner

I got used to it for the next 3 years I owned that car...
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
swfst

Fan#: 95922
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 swfst Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How did a black touch up paint pen come in contact with your headliner; during a tint install?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
goingFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75386
What I Drive: 2005 CD silver ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 goingFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
#2, and get on w/ life.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfst View Post
How did a black touch up paint pen come in contact with your headliner; during a tint install?

Posted via FF Mobile Agreed....
Old 05-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I had a similar experience. My daughter's Accord needed a new water pump and timing belt replacement. This is a major repair ($$$$) on her car. I saved around $200-300 by having someone do it as a side job. There were a few things that were damaged when the car was worked on. Some scuff marks, front lip damaged, a few marks on some fresh paint. I could have demanded he fix them, but I just paid him off and let the other stuff go. It'll cost me some time and money, I can live with it.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
inxsary
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfst View Post
I *think* the touch-up pen is used if the edge of the tint film chips or peels away during install. you put a dab of paint on the edge and smear it across so there's no clear film. Please don't quote me on that. This was just my understanding at the time.

-K
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
inxsary
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
I had a similar experience. My daughter's Accord needed a new water pump and timing belt replacement. This is a major repair ($$$$) on her car. I saved around $200-300 by having someone do it as a side job. There were a few things that were damaged when the car was worked on. Some scuff marks, front lip damaged, a few marks on some fresh paint. I could have demanded he fix them, but I just paid him off and let the other stuff go. It'll cost me some time and money, I can live with it.
Was the accord new?
I think the difficulty I'm having is that this is a brand new car with less than 3000 miles on it and I've been keeping it immaculate. If my car was 5 years old and this happened, I'd probably just shrug it off.

Also, if this was a storefront kind of place, I'd have them replace the headliner in a second. But it being a friend has complicated the matter.

-K
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
One of the best quotes from Jerry Maguire is "It's not show friends, it's show business"

Sometimes you get what you pay for. Pay a friend, get friend work at friend rate. Pay a professional, get professional work at a professional rate.

Sorry you got a paint mark. You can either save the friend or the interior, but I doubt you'll get both.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks