anyone NOT like the stock tires? - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #71
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I ran the stock Contis for about 1000 miles (sold 'em for $300) and they weren't too bad and while dry grip breakaway was predictable there simply wasn't enough of it but that was fixed with the DWS I upgraded too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #72
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102640
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
I ran the stock Contis for about 1000 miles (sold 'em for $300) and they weren't too bad and while dry grip breakaway was predictable there simply wasn't enough of it but that was fixed with the DWS I upgraded too.
Do you notice a difference in ride quality (e.g. smoothness, noise) when you got the DWS? ...
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #73
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
My complaint against the Contis is that they are a bit noisy. Much quieter than the P6s on my 2006 ZX3, but still noisy. Not enough to replace them early, but enough to be noticeable.
When the pavement is smooth they seem fairly quiet, but there is very little in the way of smooth pavement around here, especially on the interstate/freeway system, and at 55-60 the tires are dreadfully loud, some how they almost seem happier at 70+.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #74
lookin4trouble
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101921
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 lookin4trouble Good Standing Member
I had 3 sets of DWS's on my previous car (MKV GTI) and I loved them so much that I just kept buying them. I can't wait for my OE Conti's to wear out so I can replace them.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #75
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1 View Post
Do you notice a difference in ride quality (e.g. smoothness, noise) when you got the DWS? ...
The ride quality is a tad stiffer with the DWS but in a good way and feel more connected to the road than the ProContact and their dry grip is significantly improved. The ProContact is a good tire but when pushed hard it shows it's limitations but even the DWS has it's shortcomings when it comes to dry grip (still has good breakwaway predictability) but still quite good for something that's an all season tire.
I have zero regrets with the DWS and don't miss the OEM tires one bit.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #76
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102640
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
The ride quality is a tad stiffer with the DWS but in a good way and feel more connected to the road than the ProContact and their dry grip is significantly improved. The ProContact is a good tire but when pushed hard it shows it's limitations but even the DWS has it's shortcomings when it comes to dry grip (still has good breakwaway predictability) but still quite good for something that's an all season tire.
I have zero regrets with the DWS and don't miss the OEM tires one bit.
What I don't like about the ContiProContact is that it feels as if there is a half inch of foam on the road everywhere, whereas with other new cars I've driven, it's a more like a glass-smooth sensation driving down the road. Maybe that's what you mean by "more connected to the road" ... Anyone else know what I mean? ...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #77
engine ear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5447
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 engine ear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
PS3's on the 5 spoke 18's and corner/handle great in Phx. and are fine in the rain. They will never see snow. Been there done that...never again.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #78
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1 View Post
Hi,
Sorry for beating a dead ... thread(?) .... but my Focus was built in July, and came with the ContiProContact tires that this thread was started over, and I dislike them to the point that I plan on replacing them within the week!

I have three complaints about the tires:

1. They are quiet on smooth roads, but on older pavement they roar loudly (especially at hwy speeds), and they BOOM when going over bumps.

2. Big bumps and broken pavement feel VERY rough, and the noise from the tires doesn't help. I have read reviews from other owners that share this opinion about the roughness with these tires.

3. The ride quality feels numb on smooth roads. When driving newer cars, I normally feel a glass-smooth quality to the ride, as if you can tell that the new wheel bearings are perfectly lubricated and have zero play. I'm sure that's the case with my Focus' bearings, but it feels like the tires are adding some 'squishy' quality to the road feel - sort of like if there was 1/2 inch of foam everywhere on the road. I have tried different tire pressures - both above and below the recommended 35 psi - but it hasn't helped.

I know others have complained about the noise and the roughness with the ContiProContact, but I was wondering if anyone else has felt this 'numb' quality on their Foci with these tires?
Yes, I see what you're saying. They have lots of grip in the corners, but turn-in feels numb and there is an over all softness to them. They are wearing pretty well, though. Can't wait to replace them with something more aggressive.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #79
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey everyone!

If you're looking at new tires and you want to save a little green, these coupons can help you out with that: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage

-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #80
pjart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99244
What I Drive: 2012 SE Red Candy Metallic CC hatch

FF Reputation: 1 pjart Good Standing Member
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97fZYABklg

I belong to the USW. Here's a good reason not to keep those crappy conti Tires one minute longer than necessary. Hate 'em, they hydroplane in 1/2 inch of water.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->