anyone NOT like the stock tires? - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #61
ResJudicata
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94971
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 ResJudicata Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
We got a slushy wet snow here the week I bought my Focus. The stock Continentals were great and have been through several rains. Mine has the 17" wheels so maybe they are a different model than others here. I think the tires have great traction in snow/wet/dry but are a bit noisy at 70-80 mph.

Chris
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #62
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
What's with all the Conti hate?? Are some people really that butthurt and blind about specific brands that they can't be a little more open-minded? For their price point they're really not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonous View Post
The DWS are quiet IMO compared to the stock Bridgestone Potenza's that came on the Saabaru (WRX). The DWS is awesome in snow with the Subaru AWD powertrain. I only put 900 miles on the Focus Contis before putting Bridgestone Blizzaks on it which are coming off this weekend. But they seemed quiet to me iirc.
Cacophonous, I'm with ya. Another happy Conti DWS owner here too, but running 16's on a VW Rabbit. I regularly "abuse" the hell out of my car with spirited driving and I can honestly say that these are easily the best tires I've ever had, period. What I like most about them is that they're very predictable when pushed to their limits, and offer surprisingly good wet traction to boot. Little known fact is that many local police departments use this tire too. I can definitely see why after I took my first spin on 'em.

If anyone wants real POS tires for comparison, try a set of Cooper CS4's. Those things hydroplane at the very sight of a puddle on the road. Their sidewalls also have a nasty tendency to flex badly under heavy cornering, leading to boatloads of mushy understeer. It effectively turned my compact hatchback into handling like a '72 Cadillac Deville. Granted it's a "touring" tire built for comfort, but still I wasn't expecting it to be so unsafe for such a premium price!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #63
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 14,429, Level 77
Points: 14,429, Level: 77 Points: 14,429, Level: 77 Points: 14,429, Level: 77
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
But on some good dry pavement, they stick real well in the corners
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #64
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102640
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
ContiProContact OE Tires

Hi,
Sorry for beating a dead ... thread(?) .... but my Focus was built in July, and came with the ContiProContact tires that this thread was started over, and I dislike them to the point that I plan on replacing them within the week!

I have three complaints about the tires:

1. They are quiet on smooth roads, but on older pavement they roar loudly (especially at hwy speeds), and they BOOM when going over bumps.

2. Big bumps and broken pavement feel VERY rough, and the noise from the tires doesn't help. I have read reviews from other owners that share this opinion about the roughness with these tires.

3. The ride quality feels numb on smooth roads. When driving newer cars, I normally feel a glass-smooth quality to the ride, as if you can tell that the new wheel bearings are perfectly lubricated and have zero play. I'm sure that's the case with my Focus' bearings, but it feels like the tires are adding some 'squishy' quality to the road feel - sort of like if there was 1/2 inch of foam everywhere on the road. I have tried different tire pressures - both above and below the recommended 35 psi - but it hasn't helped.

I know others have complained about the noise and the roughness with the ContiProContact, but I was wondering if anyone else has felt this 'numb' quality on their Foci with these tires?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #65
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,260, Level 28
Points: 2,260, Level: 28 Points: 2,260, Level: 28 Points: 2,260, Level: 28
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
I have begun to not like them in the rain after 15,000 miles.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #66
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,723, Level 58
Points: 7,723, Level: 58 Points: 7,723, Level: 58 Points: 7,723, Level: 58
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I have begun to not like them in the rain after 15,000 miles.
They are pretty awful in the wet, especially after being worn a bit.

Can't wait to replace mine.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #67
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 335, Level 6
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
My complaint against the Contis is that they are a bit noisy. Much quieter than the P6s on my 2006 ZX3, but still noisy. Not enough to replace them early, but enough to be noticeable.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #68
lscrx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
I can't wait to get back to South Carolina, all you are UHP summer tires all year long! Here in Germany you have to run snow rated all-seasons or dedicated snow tires through the winter.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #69
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

Points 532, Level 10
Points: 532, Level: 10 Points: 532, Level: 10 Points: 532, Level: 10
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutinyofthemind View Post
16" Continental ContiProContacts here. Less then 7,500 miles on the fronts and they're almost to the wear bar, rears are about 3/4ths there. Haven't had any hydroplane issues, but it's almost not worth it to bother with getting them swapped out with the tire warranty if it just needs to be done again in less then 6 months. Heavy stop-go traffic, and I tend to be a bit quick in the corners... but that's a lot of wear over a little time.

Tempted to just buy some Falken ZE-512s (do hydroplane like hell when you have 1/4th tread left). Lasted about 14K on my Cobalt, but they had great grip, and didn't feel so... squirrely.

I have around 3500 miles on my factory tires ; almost no wear at all.

Maybe I just got a better batch............
Old 09-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #70
ross smith
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93060
What I Drive: 2012, SilverFord Focus Hatch 1.6L

FF Reputation: 2 ross smith Good Standing Member
My Focus has 20,000 klm on it now and I have been plagued with vibration problems coming through the steering also the cabin.
I thought I had the problem solved when one tire company said that one of the Conti contact tires was out of round. I had that replaced and the car was better but I could still fill this slight vibration through the car.
I finally took the car to another tire company and they took the tires off the rim and then refitted them and rebalanced them. The car at last is smooth and only a slight vibration, the guy that balanced the tires said that all my tires had high and low spots on them every where.
At least I know what the problem is now and soon as the tires wear out a bit I will be eagerly replacing them with tires that are not out of round and better quality

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.