anyone NOT like the stock tires? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #51
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I saw no discernible difference in cornering, braking etc. in my everyday driving. Lesson I took away from that was any slight improvement in handling - in everyday driving mind you - is generally not worth the cost of upgrading the stock tires. That's just me.
I’d like to point out that Kam is in Florida while Joey is in Michigan. The necessity for two sets of tires is obviously more dependent on where you live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #52
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91108
What I Drive: 2012 Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Creamsicle Good Standing Member
I love the stock Michelins that came on my Titanium with the sport package and 18" rims. But I swapped them out for all-seasons b/c they are strictly summer tires.

The Michelins are for sale, BTW.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #53
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I’d like to point out that Kam is in Florida while Joey is in Michigan. The necessity for two sets of tires is obviously more dependent on where you live.
True, but I was I was in Hoboken New Jersey for 13 years, which was the setting for my tire swap story.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #54
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
You do realize that summer tires improve braking ability. Also if you are in an emergency situation where you need to swerve quickly, they provide more grip. So it's more than just a track where summer tires would make a difference. They also provide more stability at highway speeds, which is never a bad thing either and if you get the right summer tires for the street, they will provide better wet traction too.

All-season tires just make zero sense on any car if you truly enjoy driving and care about your car at all. Tires are the most important safety feature on a car since it's the only thing that actually touches the road, to me it makes sense to make sure I have the best I can get.

It also puzzles me why people think that putting an intake and an exhaust on their car is actually going to do anything, but neglect the tires completely. (not saying you said this mind you)

You are aware that Ford sells the Focus with summer tires, right? And if it is a "$hitbox" why on Earth did you buy it?
Drive defensively when traffic and obsticles may be about, and any tire is adequate, but I understand what you are saying...I maintain my view however that the Focus doesnt require stickier summer rubber on the street. I drive it quick, and I cant imagine what folks are doing to demand a better tire on the street in this car, capable as it is.

And yeah, I cant help but laugh at someone calling their new car a shitbox. I might buy a 1990 Tempo thats half in the ground and call it that!

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #55
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
I personally have a huge issue with the stock tires for a very specific reason and these are the only tires I have ever had with this issue. The treads catch rocks like there is no tomorrow. I have to pull a minimum of 3 rocks out of the treads each week. It is unbelievably annoying. As soon as these meet the end of their usable life or one of them needs replacing, I am going to grab some 17" wheel/tires off of tirerack to replace them. Does anyone else have this problem? I've never driven a car that grabbed so many.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #56
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
True, but I was I was in Hoboken New Jersey for 13 years, which was the setting for my tire swap story.
I sit corrected.

But for what it's worth, I think they're more important on this car than my last car. My 2002 Escape (which is only a little bit heavier than this car) never had any issues in the snow, but it also had 4x4. I once took a turn in my parents’ 2003 Focus with all-seasons going about 5 mph and I did a 180. That has yet to happen in my car with my current winter tires.

I pretty much HAD to get a second set of tires because the 18s came with summer tires - if I had gotten an SE, I'd probably still only have the stock tires. At least I won’t have to buy tires any time soon because they’ll last twice as long.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #57
NRG_Zeal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95088
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 1 NRG_Zeal Good Standing Member
Oh sweet a tire complaint thread.

Got my SEL last september and the Conti's an I never really got along. Before 100 miles I got a sidewall bump in the front-right tire. I got it replaced fairly quickly and thats when I found out the dealer had over-zealously inflated each tire to 39-44 psi each. Everything went fairly smoothly for the next 5000 miles, disregarding noticeable hydroplaning every time it rains here(which is a lot.)

Finally about 3 weeks ago while getting my tires back up to pressure for a little road trip I noticed another tire developed a sidewall bump. Alas I was fed up with the mediocre and expensive tire and ended up swapping all 4 out for some Hankook summer tires(Ventus V-12.) I must quickly explain, I'm from Puerto Rico and if some roads Stateside are considered bad the ones here are a horrorshow. I chose my tire mostly based on a harder sidewall, it just so happened that the Hankook's had a hell of a lot better performance for a cheaper price.

Slapped 'em on and holy crap what a difference. The car attacks a corner more eagerly and it barely hydroplanes now. I had the 'falling in love with the car' phase all over again. Anyway I couldn't be happier with the switch, the Conti's were holding the car back a lot.

(And on the plus side the tire has a pretty nifty tread design ;) )

Also, first post! Long one but glad to be part of the community. Greetings from Puerto Rico!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #58
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG_Zeal View Post
Oh sweet a tire complaint thread.

Got my SEL last september and the Conti's an I never really got along. Before 100 miles I got a sidewall bump in the front-right tire. I got it replaced fairly quickly and thats when I found out the dealer had over-zealously inflated each tire to 39-44 psi each. Everything went fairly smoothly for the next 5000 miles, disregarding noticeable hydroplaning every time it rains here(which is a lot.)

Finally about 3 weeks ago while getting my tires back up to pressure for a little road trip I noticed another tire developed a sidewall bump. Alas I was fed up with the mediocre and expensive tire and ended up swapping all 4 out for some Hankook summer tires(Ventus V-12.) I must quickly explain, I'm from Puerto Rico and if some roads Stateside are considered bad the ones here are a horrorshow. I chose my tire mostly based on a harder sidewall, it just so happened that the Hankook's had a hell of a lot better performance for a cheaper price.

Slapped 'em on and holy crap what a difference. The car attacks a corner more eagerly and it barely hydroplanes now. I had the 'falling in love with the car' phase all over again. Anyway I couldn't be happier with the switch, the Conti's were holding the car back a lot.

(And on the plus side the tire has a pretty nifty tread design ;) )

Also, first post! Long one but glad to be part of the community. Greetings from Puerto Rico!

Posted via FF Mobilewelcome to the site! Glad your tires are working for ya. Never had an issue with the conti's, and it seems they grip quite well. Personal preference in my opinion, based on driving style. I have learned that defensive driving pays off more than tires, unless your at the track...but, I'm old. Being 30 is an eye opener (or perhaps its the kids, the mortgage, etc!). See, you like your hankooks, and on my wife's old altima they hyrdroplaned like a cigarette boat. But, the bubbles in their sidewalls never burst, fortunately.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #59
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have to agree that the stock (16" on mine) Contis suck in the snow. We don't get much snow where I live so i've never felt the need to put snow tires on my cars. I previously had a Dodge Magnum (RWD) and did fine through the winters on the all season OEM Goodyears. The LX's came with either Goodyears or Contis and I heard a lot of complaints from LX owners with the Contis over on LXforums over the years I was a member. I believe one of thier biggest complaints was fast wear.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #60
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I agree in the Snow the stock Conti's weren't that good ( I think the footprint was too big though.)
http://www.rebeldevil.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks