anyone NOT like the stock tires? - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #91
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As stock tires go, these are decent. Reasonably quiet; dry and wet traction are both pretty good.

Can't speak about snow traction from experience but I can tell you that most people who complain about snow traction on just about any brand new tread are lousy drivers to start with, and most likely you need to slow the F down. Some people think you should be able to pop a set of $600 tires on and the car should drive like a tank, but it just doesn't work that way.

The only drastic downside is they will wear fairly quickly (I expect belts to start popping out of them by 60K).

If you truly hate them you can always get new and sell these.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #92
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
As stock tires go, these are decent. Reasonably quiet; dry and wet traction are both pretty good.

Can't speak about snow traction from experience but I can tell you that most people who complain about snow traction on just about any brand new tread are lousy drivers to start with, and most likely you need to slow the F down. Some people think you should be able to pop a set of $600 tires on and the car should drive like a tank, but it just doesn't work that way.

The only drastic downside is they will wear fairly quickly (I expect belts to start popping out of them by 60K).

If you truly hate them you can always get new and sell these.
I have driven OEM tires (honda, mazda) that were criminally called all-seasons. They had snow capabilities that were laughable and dangerous.

If I still lived in a place where I had to drive in the snow, I'd invest in snow tires. There doesn't exist an all-season tire that holds up to the cheapest shittiest snow tire.

And yeah, slow down people.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #93
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
on most cars the stock tires usually suck. Even when I bought my truck it had some crappy BFG's (Rugged Trails) and they wore out crazy fast and were NEVER very good. And those tires were damn expensive about 1200- $1400 for a replacement set.
Dang,where you buying these Rugged Trails? I can get them in a 32" size for about $750 out the door but yes,they are quite crappy.
You can get the Mud Terrains for a little under $1200 at Discount Tire but I'm partial to my GY Duratracs which went up from $170/tire to a whopping $220 which just jumped me well over $1000 when I get a new set.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #94
JeremyT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87633
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red ST

FF Reputation: 1 JeremyT Good Standing Member
Just to throw in my own two cents worth, but I found the Kumho Ecsta 4x tires to be reasonably priced and handled quite well when I had a set.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #95
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

Points 519, Level 10
Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
My stock ContiProContacts have about 18,000 miles on them and have been decent tires for me up until yesterday. I drove home from out of state in some fairly rainy weather ... but not super rainy. I have never had more trouble and sketchy moments hydroplaning. I am very concerned about this, do NOT want my wife to have to face the same challenge and will be having new tires installed soon. My next set will be General G-Max AS-03.
Hatch Nation #174
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #96
Michael Jackson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104370
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Michael Jackson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
My stock ContiProContacts have about 18,000 miles on them and have been decent tires for me up until yesterday. I drove home from out of state in some fairly rainy weather ... but not super rainy. I have never had more trouble and sketchy moments hydroplaning. I am very concerned about this, do NOT want my wife to have to face the same challenge and will be having new tires installed soon. My next set will be General G-Max AS-03.
I can confirm this. I had/have these same tires on both my prior Mercedes, and now this car came with them. I haven't driven the Focus in the rain with them yet, but expect similar results.

Outright scary to drive in any inclimate weather. Pretty crappy on dry pavement too. A set of cheap, Chinese, no-name tires was by far an upgrade on the Mercedes.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #97
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
Out of curiousity, what was the temperature? (seeing that you're in ME).

cheers
gk
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #98
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

Points 519, Level 10
Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
Out of curiousity, what was the temperature? (seeing that you're in ME).

cheers
gk
upper 50's to low 60's
Hatch Nation #174
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #99
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102640
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Tire Size Theory

Based on many comments I have read about the OE ContiProContact tires (and based on my own 2,000 miles of experience with them), I believe they work much better with lower sidewall profiles - i.e. with 17" wheels I believe they get better comments than with 16" which have a taller sidewall (for the same overall tire height).

My car came with the 16" wheels, and I am changing to winter tires next week (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R), and then upsizing to 17" wheels in the spring with 'real' tires on new alloys ; )

Since some people like them and others hate them, does anyone else think the 16" vs 17" makes a big difference in how the OE Conti tires perform? ...
Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #100
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1 View Post
Since some people like them and others hate them, does anyone else think the 16" vs 17" makes a big difference in how the OE Conti tires perform? ...
I was wondering why people are so polarized on their opinions of these tires. Perhaps you're correct and the sidewall height is a factor. I have 10,000 miles on my 17"s and still like them as stock tires. I've had no hydroplaning or noise issues.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.