? About a Check Engine Light - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2003, 02:04 AM   #1
Cthulhu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1703
What I Drive: 2001 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Cthulhu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question ? About a Check Engine Light

Okay, let me start off by saying that I know exactly zero about Focus'. :D My wife's car is a 2001 automatic base model Focus...crank windows and all. ;) Today I changed the oil, air filter and rotated the tires. I as far as that goes, it was all routine as usual. After I finished, the check engine light is on and is shifting odd now.

The *only* thing I can think of is that when I opened the coolant cap to check it, the car wasn't TOTALLY cooled off yet. It's not like it sprayed out or anything...just a little "pssst" when I took the cap off. Could that have anything to do with it? I'm reaching here...I know. =) The only symptoms are obviously the CE light and the odd shifting. By odd shifting I mean... it idles fine but if you hit the gas just a tiny bit it tries to die. When accelerating it shifts once (harshly, but nothing TOO bad), then one more time (same way), then nothing....just keeps revving, no more shifts. Very odd... Seriously, I just don't get it. I just thought I'd post in case one of you guys may have had this happen before or something. If the CE light stays on I'll get a ODBII scanner and see what code it's throwing. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2003, 05:57 AM   #2
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
reaching for the oil filter or air filter you may have disloged a wire or something maybe? Check all the connections you can see, if all good, you can disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes and that will reset the computer. When you reconnect it and start it, it should be normal again. But I think something has been bumped out of place if all you did was change the oil and air filter.
ST crew #18
Old 11-11-2003, 09:42 AM   #3
Cthulhu
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
reaching for the oil filter or air filter you may have disloged a wire or something maybe? Check all the connections you can see, if all good, you can disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes and that will reset the computer. When you reconnect it and start it, it should be normal again. But I think something has been bumped out of place if all you did was change the oil and air filter.
Thanks for the reply... I'll definately check that out. I hadn't thought about that. :D

Anybody else have any suggestions/thoughts? What about me opening the cap before it was totally cooled off? I was reading in the manual about that and it said that it might cause a CE light.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
GaryFocus
Banned

Fan#: 1265
FF Reputation: 1 GaryFocus Good Standing Member
go to autozone or somewhere where you can get a free diagnostics to see what it is. If its something stupid like an O2 sensor or air temp sensor, than just reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and see if that fixes it. If it is something serious like something in the fuel system, take it in asap. DO NOT disconnect the battery until you get a diagnostics. If its something serious, you could probably [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] it up more by doing that

Last edited by GaryFocus; 11-11-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:28 PM   #5
oracleguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73
What I Drive: 02 Cloud9 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 oracleguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by GaryFocus
. DO NOT disconnect the battery until you get a diagnostics. If its something serious, you could probably [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] it up more by doing that
How so? All that would happen is the CEL would return...
02 Cloud9 ZTS - Windows tinted, Volant Cold Air Intake, FC 65mm Throttle Body, Phoenix Gold speakers, clear corner lenses, fog light mod, 2.25in Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Redline Tuning hood quick lift kit.

SVT Upper Front Grill and Euro lower grill is up next.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:20 AM   #6
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
good point Garyfocus. It would be wise to check before disconnecting the battery, if nothing else to be time efficiant. Getting codes is free, and might be a simple fix. I can't figure out how taking the radiator cap off in any situation could cause a CE light to come on though
ST crew #18
Old 11-12-2003, 01:05 AM   #7
Cthulhu
Focus Rookie

okay, so my friend came by and pulled the codes for me. They were, P0113 (Air Temperature High out of Range Fault) and P0102 (Mass Air Flow Sensor Low out of Range Fault). So I took the air filter back out, reseated it and cleared the CEL with his scanner. Started her up and no more light. Running fine again as well...shifting is fine again. I really have no idea what the hell happened. Just one of those freak things I guess. I truly think there was nothing wrong with it and if I had just cleared the code it would have been fine...kinda scary how much in control the ECU is. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. You guys seem like a nice bunch of fools. I'm from the Subaru world and it's nice to see other groups helping each other out. If I ever have any other problems with my wife's car, this'll be the first place I post.

-Bill
Old 11-12-2003, 01:06 AM   #8
Cthulhu
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
I can't figure out how taking the radiator cap off in any situation could cause a CE light to come on though
me either... that was mainly just speculation...trying to retrace what I did.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:07 AM   #9
GaryFocus
Banned

Fan#: 1265
FF Reputation: 1 GaryFocus Good Standing Member
same thing happened to me. except all i was getting was air temperature and i had to reset the ecu to get rid of it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks