Superchip question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
zmilt86
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95923
What I Drive: 2003 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zmilt86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Superchip question

Hey guys new to the forums got a quick question. I bought a 2003 zx3 ford focus as my DD. Today i was running new wires for my speakers and found a random wire with a broken dial running to it. that wire dial ran down from my glove box to the eec. now after taking out the ecc and removing the Superchip the car runs like balls, lol. My question is this; i have no problem putting the chip back in so the car runs normal, but the dial that has 0-7 settings. with the knob being broke i have no idea what setting the knob needs to be on. any help would be great. i used this write up to remove it

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/pcm.htm

here are some pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
On my chip I think I had the programs on dial # 0,1,&2. stock program was one of the programs. If u turn the key to the ignition On position, u can tell If there is a program there by if the odometer shows numbers or if it shows "-----------".

It doest make sense that it would run bad without the chip, unless there were a lot of mods done to the car.
So be a aware, running the chip may require 91 octane gas.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
zmilt86
Focus Rookie

well i think i figured it out. with the dial being broke i basically moved it untill the car either died or didnt run. so i think i found 1,2,3. one felt stock didnt run very well, 2 felt like it did before i messed with anything, and 3 felt like to motor was getting to much gas. so let say 2 is the tunned mode. what would you assume has been done to the car? it has a airfilter that runs from the top of the motor under the car and a svt catback exhaust. thats all i can see.i was going to do new plugs, wires, and switch to a different intake. im not to sure how i feel about the airfilter next to the ground. any recommendations on what to use as far as plugs and wires with this superchip?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
zmilt86
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
On my chip I think I had the programs on dial # 0,1,&2. stock program was one of the programs. If u turn the key to the ignition On position, u can tell If there is a program there by if the odometer shows numbers or if it shows "-----------".

It doest make sense that it would run bad without the chip, unless there were a lot of mods done to the car.
So be a aware, running the chip may require 91 octane gas.

It ran fine and idled fine. but it hesitated bad between 2-3RPM or if i got on it, it fell on its face then came back. seems fine now but im scared what mods may be done. any suggestions to be safe? plugs, wires, run 91?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I just doublechecked my programs.
I had 91 octane tunes on 0 and 1. Stock was on position 4.

Sounds like should sleuth around a bit to see what's been done to the car. But without the chip, u don't need the 91 as there would be nothing that is advancing the timing.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
zmilt86
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
I just doublechecked my programs.
I had 91 octane tunes on 0 and 1. Stock was on position 4.

Sounds like should sleuth around a bit to see what's been done to the car. But without the chip, u don't need the 91 as there would be nothing that is advancing the timing.
Car runs fine going down the road and at idle. But 1st gear take offs and low rpm loads on motor makes car just die. I still feel like its all in the chip. Any help would be great.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Going off of what some one elses chip is set to wont be the same as what yours is set to , if you cant go back to the way it was before you hurt your engine you need to dump the chip and get a good tune with an xcal3 so you can datalog and get things right

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
zmilt86
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Going off of what some one elses chip is set to wont be the same as what yours is set to , if you cant go back to the way it was before you hurt your engine you need to dump the chip and get a good tune with an xcal3 so you can datalog and get things right

Tom
Can I ditched the chip all together and go back to stock without a tune?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
zmilt86
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

Tom
Do you sell the xcall 3 with a tune? What do you recommend as far as returning the car back to stock with svt catback exhaust and air filter? That's all I know that has been done to the car.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
zmilt86
Focus Rookie

In a tough spot. Car is literaly dieing at every intersection. It seems as soon as i push clutch in rpm dropway faster than normal and just dies. Had no problems before this whole chip situation. Any recommendations just get me through or put it back to stock or any help at all would be great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks