Need Turbo Zetec Info - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Foci-runner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95625
What I Drive: 02 SVTF/ 03 Turbo EAP/ 01 S2 (DD)

FF Reputation: 1 Foci-runner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Need Turbo Zetec Info

Okay so I have decided to go with a turbo Zetec instead o fmy preferred V8/RWD swap for various reasons. 1- cost 2-time 3-ease-of-swap. However I am hoping that those currently here that have a turbo Zetec would be able to shed some light into the swap/build for me.

I am planning on finding a donor/junker focus with the 2.0 Zetec as I currently have the SPI in my LX. Preferably a donor with a blown motor but no Block damage since I am planning on rebuilding the Zetec motor from the bottom up anyways- This way i can put my old SPI motor into the donor car and then turn around and sell it to recoop some costs.

The info I am looking for is- who is your recommended Manufacturer for parts for this rebuild for every aspect: pistons, rods, cams, heads/valves, intake. What comp on the pistons would you recommend and how mush PSI are your currently running with said pistons.

Also is there any recommendations for beefing up the tranny? I am new to Foci as I have always generally driven Mustangs. Help a guy out and if you have any threads you could link me to it would be greatly appreciated. I want to do as much research as possible before getting into this. I would say time is on my side as I am in no rush, however from what I read about the SPI motors time may not be on my side after all.

This is going to be a daily driver but I want to squeeze as much as I can (safely) out of this vehicle.

Short version- Turbo Focus guys: What are you running with your setup and what would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Why dont you find the doner car and build it keeping the SPI for a good daily driver

I would do 9.0 to 9.2 compression forged pistons best deal you can find there all good , ARP head and main studs , eagle rods , stock head and cams will get you to an easy 320hp at the wheels

The trans is strong I would add an LSD and good clutch and let it go

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Foci-runner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Why dont you find the doner car and build it keeping the SPI for a good daily driver

I would do 9.0 to 9.2 compression forged pistons best deal you can find there all good , ARP head and main studs , eagle rods , stock head and cams will get you to an easy 320hp at the wheels

The trans is strong I would add an LSD and good clutch and let it go

Tom
What turbo and setup are you using? Also I have an Auto tranny. As far as the Stock Head and Cams- I want this thing to last for a long time. Will the stock head and cams be able to withsatnd that kind of beating over the long haul.

Cost on this project really isn't an issue. I was going to go with the V8/Rwd swap but realizing that it would cost around about 15k-18k for me made me decide I would rather Turbo so I can get my project going sooner. I guess patience isn't a virtue I really have.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Foci-runner
Focus Enthusiast

Also I already have a 3 cyl geo metro for a daily driver for backup already. So thats the reason I was planning on selling the donor car after the swap. Its nice to get 45 mpg and not have to pay 25k-35k for one of these new hybrids
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You have no choice but to use a stock head casting so if the turbo is going to have an adverse impact (which it won't significantly) you have no alternative.

Cams show no additional wear from a turbo.

Cost is no issue? Really? If so, go look at some British websites that sell take-off WRC parts.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Foci-runner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamDFL View Post
You have no choice but to use a stock head casting so if the turbo is going to have an adverse impact (which it won't significantly) you have no alternative.

Cams show no additional wear from a turbo.

Cost is no issue? Really? If so, go look at some British websites that sell take-off WRC parts.
I understand that the cams wont really have any wear from the turbo but is there an alternative that anyone else is using that helps squeeze some more power out of their motor. With the head should i have a valve job done or port/polish, etc. All that type of info is what I am looking for. I understand yes all of those things help but I am just wanting to see what is working for everyone else out there that has done this before.

As far as cost goes. I am estimating in putting about 5k-10k into this project. I am not including recovering funds by selling any stock pieces and or parts and the donor car either so 5k-10k is on the higher side of the budget really but this is only for the initial build/swap. I will probably be throwing money at it little by little after this all said and done too. Compared to the V8/RWD swap I was originally planning on doing this is a much more affordable/quicker alternative to more power.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
actually it depends what you are doing.... 5k will be on the low side.. a turbo kit new will cost around 4k. than your tuning and gauges and lsd, clutch, i think you get it. it starts adding up very quickly.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Foci-runner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkyoda View Post
actually it depends what you are doing.... 5k will be on the low side.. a turbo kit new will cost around 4k. than your tuning and gauges and lsd, clutch, i think you get it. it starts adding up very quickly.
I will be doing all the labor myself and I have found complete turbo kits with intercooler and all for just over 2k for the Zetec. I have done quite a few Motor Swaps and rebuilds however this will be my first focus turbo build/swap.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foci-runner View Post
I will be doing all the labor myself and I have found complete turbo kits with intercooler and all for just over 2k for the Zetec. I have done quite a few Motor Swaps and rebuilds however this will be my first focus turbo build/swap.
You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true...
Rally Revolution #21
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Foci-runner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamDFL View Post
You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true...
Would you say this is not a good setup? Seriously Just wondering?.....

http://swappedandboosted.com/index.p...products_id=17

That's why I am here to find out what the Users here would recommend and to find out what is working/not working for everyone else.

Bookmarks & Social Networks