2012 Focus gas door doesnt lock - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,210, Level 51
Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
They dont use a gas cap on the 2012 Focus it capless
You cant put a locking gas cap on it
An old thread covered this, apparently there is a locking cap that fits the Focus.

Quoting:

Locking Fuel Filler Plug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what Ford was thinking when it comes to their capless fuel filler especially with a non locking fuel door. I just ordered a locking fuel filler plug which comes with two keys. Ford doesn't have them listed as an available accessory for the Ford Focus on their web site. I did notice they have them available for the F150, Mustang, Escape, Fusion, Edge and saw they all had the same part number listed. I found a Ford Dealer in Ohio on eBay who had them for sale and he went out and tried one on a 2012 Ford Focus and said it fit like a glove so I ordered one -- $21.95 plus $6 USPS Priority Mail with no sale tax for non Ohio resident. He then made a listing for the 2012 Ford Focus. I believe Ford has them listed for their other vehicles as $24.95 plus tax which equates to the same price I paid with shipping.

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-...item27bd484ea5
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
They dont use a gas cap on the 2012 Focus it capless
You cant put a locking gas cap on it
Locking fuel plug, 8u5z-9c268-b, I bought one for employee cost of around 24 bucks for my gf's Fusion. I will be doing the same right away for my focus.

Besides, with most new vehicles, it's really tough to jam a hose down the spout as there is a rollover valve you have to get the hose through. I used to do it this way to drain tanks so I could remove them for servicing the pump but I can't do that anymore with most new stuff (have to disconnect a fuel line and command the pump on with a scantool and drain the line into a container instead)
Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
fordnut02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96119
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 fordnut02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Called my Ford Dealer and there is no listing for a gas plug for the Focus

there is no listing yet.

does all Fords use the same plug ?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,448, Level 94
Points: 23,448, Level: 94 Points: 23,448, Level: 94 Points: 23,448, Level: 94
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
part number in the post right above you should get you the right one. After all, it IS a Ford part.

None of the focuses ever came with locking fuel doors. I put a locking cap on mine but no big deal.

No, a "special nozzle" is not required. try to open it with your fingers, Ive done it before with their "easy-fill" or whatever it is and you should be able to figure it out too.

Besides, if you wanted to steal gas just go find yourself a dodge stratus. BIG plastic drain plug on the side of the tank at the bottom. Not obvious at all.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
mechanizeddeath
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135913
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic SE

Points 1,641, Level 23
Points: 1,641, Level: 23 Points: 1,641, Level: 23 Points: 1,641, Level: 23
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mechanizeddeath Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Besides, with most new vehicles, it's really tough to jam a hose down the spout as there is a rollover valve you have to get the hose through. I used to do it this way to drain tanks so I could remove them for servicing the pump but I can't do that anymore with most new stuff (have to disconnect a fuel line and command the pump on with a scantool and drain the line into a container instead)
I'm not sure when it became a standard, but it doesn't even have to be super new. I had a smashed and dead '97 Legacy that I could not get the hose into. Come to find out I was hitting a valve. Had to do the same thing, pull a fuel line and dump into a container.

Because of this, I personally don't know of anyone who has had their fuel stolen for many years. Aside from taking the vehicle itself, occasionally thieves seem to target license plates, wheels and tires, and very rarely aftermarket car stereos, although even those aren't targeted much anymore because the resale value tends to be so low.

The two things that do seem to get stolen the most, at least based on my own experiences and those of friends, are money and small electronics like mp3 players. I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but here in Michigan a bum will happily take a rock to your window for that $2.13 he sees sitting in the console.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,409, Level 75
Points: 13,409, Level: 75 Points: 13,409, Level: 75 Points: 13,409, Level: 75
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I bought the lock for the gas cap only because someone might 'TRY" to steal gas and ruin the little metal clip which covers the gas pipe. Also they may damage it so it no longer opens/works. Which means I cannot put gas into the car! Until I got it replaced..
Plus If that was broken you would get the emissions code for no gas cap etc. and I bet it costs a small fortune to replace.
With the locking cap on there it cannot be broken so easily.
PS I love the unusual gas door as it is almost invisible to anyone who does not know what it looks like. (on the 5 door hatch)

So that is my thinking.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #17
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114147
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Black Ti Sedan, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 bshin352 Good Standing Member
OP, not sure where you are but I can assure you it's pretty difficult to siphon gas through the filler. They may have better luck going under and cutting a line, or if ballsy enough, drill it. Even if, this car is pretty low to the ground and can't carry much fuel, I'd think they may target bigger or easier fish.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

Points 2,360, Level 29
Points: 2,360, Level: 29 Points: 2,360, Level: 29 Points: 2,360, Level: 29
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
I got mine 'cause it's pretty hot every single day here so I thought the gas could be evaporated
Old 03-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,132, Level 40
Points: 4,132, Level: 40 Points: 4,132, Level: 40 Points: 4,132, Level: 40
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Keeping your tank full minimizes fuel evaporation and the as long as the filler cap isn't open or off that wouldn't contribute enough to the evaporation equation to notice.

I don't have any worries about mine since I think most thieves know to hit bigger targets and not waste their time trying to get 10 gallons at the most from our cars. I live in truck and SUV land so I dont even really think about it and am much more concerned about somebody snagging my catalytic converter off of my 4Runner since lifted trucks are easy targets for those thiefs where a Focus isn't.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #20
MattE_Sales
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119191
What I Drive: 2014 White Platinum HB Titanium

Points 22, Level 1
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 MattE_Sales Good Standing Member
I have people comment about the lack of an inside fuel door release on Fords. A fuel door with a release leaver can be defeated by anyone with a screw driver. It doesn't really matter anyway, because getting a hose past the rollover valve in the fuel filler neck to siphon gas is going to be nearly impossible.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.