In the shop :( - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Afbar1114
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114836
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Afbar1114 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In the shop :(

So a few weeks ago my 13' ti sedan started acting really different while driving it. It would really stutter while starting from a dead stop, felt like it was skipping, and struggled to get up hills. People where also telling me they were having a hard time hearing my on bluetooth, a lot of rattles and heated seats weren't working right. so i called to make an appointment so i could get a loner which is 2014 fusion se with leather, heated seats, sunroof, and my touch with sirius activated.

anyways.....

I brought my car in on wednesday first thing in the AM. Called them later in the day and they said they were waiting on the ford hotline to see what to do. So yesterday passes and i didn't hear them at all. So i called them this morning they told me they fixed the blue tooth issue with an internal update different from the sync one on the web site. They told me they are waiting on parts. So i asked which parts and they told me the clutch and two snap rings. They said I would not have the car until at least tuesday.

So for a week I am driving around the loner which might be my next car. The Fusion drives so much better then the focus does and it is really smooth no shaking, no grinding, no stuttering, nothing it drives so much better in all aspects but I do miss the remote start on the cold mornings.

So is this a normal thing they do replace the clutch or was there something wrong with it. From time to time I do use the S-mode but I do not think that would cause any issues. Will replacing the clutch with a new one stop any of the old issues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
So a few weeks ago my 13' ti sedan started acting really different while driving it. It would really stutter while starting from a dead stop, felt like it was skipping, and struggled to get up hills. People where also telling me they were having a hard time hearing my on bluetooth, a lot of rattles and heated seats weren't working right. so i called to make an appointment so i could get a loner which is 2014 fusion se with leather, heated seats, sunroof, and my touch with sirius activated.

anyways.....

I brought my car in on wednesday first thing in the AM. Called them later in the day and they said they were waiting on the ford hotline to see what to do. So yesterday passes and i didn't hear them at all. So i called them this morning they told me they fixed the blue tooth issue with an internal update different from the sync one on the web site. They told me they are waiting on parts. So i asked which parts and they told me the clutch and two snap rings. They said I would not have the car until at least tuesday.

So for a week I am driving around the loner which might be my next car. The Fusion drives so much better then the focus does and it is really smooth no shaking, no grinding, no stuttering, nothing it drives so much better in all aspects but I do miss the remote start on the cold mornings.

So is this a normal thing they do replace the clutch or was there something wrong with it. From time to time I do use the S-mode but I do not think that would cause any issues. Will replacing the clutch with a new one stop any of the old issues?
fwiw I had the stuttering problem in both S mode or normal. In my case it all but went away in the cold new england winter and returned with a vengeance in the hot weather especially with AC on and/or extra passenger load.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Afbar1114
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
fwiw I had the stuttering problem in both S mode or normal. In my case it all but went away in the cold new england winter and returned with a vengeance in the hot weather especially with AC on and/or extra passenger load.
the seasons changed here and this is when it all started.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
the seasons changed here and this is when it all started.
here is a question that your observation and mine brings up.

If stuttering occurs because the owner did not not give it enough gas, as some have said here, how can the problem/symptom disappear in some kinds of weather and not in others?

Dealers and ford memos have contended that in some cases the owner is not driving it right. Some posters here actually buy into that.

Whether you do or don't shouldn't it be a consistent problem cold weather and hot if so ?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Changing the clutch and seals is not a "normal" event: they should last the life of the car. But as been posted here innumerable times, some (a couple? a few? many?) have seals that leak, allowing transmission fluid to contaminate the clutch. This causes clutch chatter and all other manner of bad behavior.

If your dealer is competent and uses the most up-to-date parts (e.g. Clutch Revision "D") it should solve the problem permanently. Or so we hope.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Changing the clutch and seals is not a "normal" event: they should last the life of the car. But as been posted here innumerable times, some (a couple? a few? many?) have seals that leak, allowing transmission fluid to contaminate the clutch. This causes clutch chatter and all other manner of bad behavior.

If your dealer is competent and uses the most up-to-date parts (e.g. Clutch Revision "D") it should solve the problem permanently. Or so we hope.
its my opinion that the cold new england weather mitigated the effect of the leak.

doesn't matter either way since we have seen post after post where people got all those parts replaced and the problem(s) came back.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Afbar1114
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post

I sure hope so because this is the 3rd time its been in the shop for same problem and they keep telling me thats how its suppose to act. they even gave me a paper that told me it was a memo from ford and it is fine to hear metal grinding and the two times before they found nothing.

and to the poster above how are we suppose to drive this car. give it full gas from a dead stop? ford just wants to blame the driver and not the car because it will cost them more money and when they dish this stuff out people just give up. but the ones that don't thats when they fix it and make it right.

ETA: I should also have said there is only 7500 miles on it and i got it in may of this year
Old 11-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
its my opinion that the cold new england weather mitigated the effect of the leak.

doesn't matter either way since we have seen post after post where people got all those parts replaced and the problem(s) came back.
Mine haven't.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Fusion seems a nice upgrade!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Afbar1114
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunFFS13 View Post
Fusion seems a nice upgrade!
Yea it's nice but I miss the remote start ion cold mornings and the navi. But hopefully it gets fixed

Bookmarks & Social Networks