Putting a cone filter on stock intake - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #51
thingsidont
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90749
What I Drive: 2001 sterling grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 thingsidont Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Then that's not a zetch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #52
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Zetec has the PCV connect to the back of the intake manifold. The breather valve on the Zetec valve cover goes to the air box so its port is after the stock filter and before the MAF.

There is a "special" yellow foam filter in the air box about 1" square specifically for this.

Most aftermarke air intake systems will pull this off and either provide or require a second breather filter. Ideally you would still want some vacuum on the line like it would see in the stock configuration, but is not needed.

The main reason for this is because emissions usually require any "vapor" from the motor, must go through a "device".... these devices on a focus (and most cars) are the catalytic converters. Routing the "vapor" through the intake is the answer to this problem. but once you get miles on it usually it just mean that its coating your intake with oil because manufactures usually skimp on having a good oil/air separator installed.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #53
all4focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84560
What I Drive: 2001 blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 all4focus Good Standing Member
What I just did with my 2001 Zetec Focus a couple weeks ago was get rid of the snorkel (I had already taken off the resonator a long time ago), so the intake gets its air right at the bottom of the airbox, which might actually get some "cold" air coming up from behind the bumper. I've liked the results so far. Less annoying intake noise, more good intake noise. It feels much less restrictive too, and the throttle response is so much better. I think my mpg even saw a slight increase. :) It's nice and quiet when you don't want to make noise, but when you step on it, it's like dubstep coming from your engine. A very bassy, burly sound. This is a great free mod in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #54
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Zetec has the PCV connect to the back of the intake manifold. The breather valve on the Zetec valve cover goes to the air box so its port is after the stock filter and before the MAF.

There is a "special" yellow foam filter in the air box about 1" square specifically for this.

Most aftermarke air intake systems will pull this off and either provide or require a second breather filter. Ideally you would still want some vacuum on the line like it would see in the stock configuration, but is not needed.

The main reason for this is because emissions usually require any "vapor" from the motor, must go through a "device".... these devices on a focus (and most cars) are the catalytic converters. Routing the "vapor" through the intake is the answer to this problem. but once you get miles on it usually it just mean that its coating your intake with oil because manufactures usually skimp on having a good oil/air separator installed.
Spi is the same way. The pcv is on the drivers side of the valve cover it goes down to just below the throttle body. The breather tube comes from the air box with a 1" filter and goe into the passenger side of the valve cover.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #55
rics94svtbird
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95825
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus SE 4door

FF Reputation: 2 rics94svtbird Good Standing Member
add the cone filter from auto zone and get the cryo2 system best way or thats what im thinking
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #56
cdbertrand
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97547
What I Drive: 00' Infra Red ZX3, gf's 08' SE

FF Reputation: 2 cdbertrand Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
doesen't get much better than this.

Rally Revolution #17
When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?
When in doubt.. Flatout. - Collin McRae
Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #57
ZX3_Gomez
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75295
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3, 2010 Matrix XRS

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3_Gomez Good Standing Member
I am currently running the Spectre Filter on my stock tube. So far I have not had any problems with my setup. I will be cutting the stock intake box and making it into a heat shield.

Measured it all out and it will fit. Will post pictures later.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #58
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Can you post those pics? I wanna see this. Or a how to of sorts? I have a limited budget, but enough for a decent spectre filter and stuff
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #59
frednumber15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83585
What I Drive: 2003 2dr ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 frednumber15 Good Standing Member
I got a 5% (2 mpg) gain from installing a similar cone filter in the same place....but you'd want one with a bellmouth molded inside....

http://www.profblairandassociates.co...mouth_Sept.pdf

The OEM intake is restrictive even if you have the resonator removed. The OEM airbox has a straight pipe intake.

Intake temps as measured from the IAT thru a ScanGauge are only a few degrees above ambient.

* you need that piece of foam in your box in the upper left corner to filter the intake air for the PCV system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenwerd43 View Post

just got one from auto zone, im wanting to make/ buy a heat shield for it and also put a tube where the old resonator was and put it down into the fender to bring more cold air into it

...and I am unanimous in that position.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #60
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
if your going to do this atleast do it right... spend the damn $40 and get a K&N or aem dryflow... why go with a cheap spectre or autozone one? and NO!!!!!!!, a filter is not a filter. Materials, designs, gains, end results and warranties are very different

Bookmarks & Social Networks