New SVT...completley screwed (edit: not completely screwed anymore) - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #41
tdriver
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92591
What I Drive: 02 Focus SVT w/Powerworks S/C

FF Reputation: 1 tdriver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0sitivevibez View Post
Just bought a 2003 Comp Orange SVT. 95k, buddy checked it out with me Drove fine. Drove it all the way home from New Jersey. Yesterday it started surging at idle, then smelled burning smell. Had it towed to local shop...they said it's screwed. They're worried about em putting any more money into the car. So I have a few options....sell as whole as is...part it out...new engine. I really like the car, so thinking about new engine. Can anyone recommend a reliable vendor or how to get through this? I don't have all the money in the world but I have good credit and my dad and I are pretty good mechanically wise. Are there new SVT engines for sale? Low mileage used ones?

Something in the engine is burning up. It's running hot. Sensors are bad. Exhaust is broken (figured I could get one from Trubendz). Airbag light is on. Accelerator is sticking. Test drive and drive home was fine. FML
Hope this helps:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/pts/2862294954.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
focus_family
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72232
What I Drive: 00 White SE 02 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 2 focus_family Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Sounds good. I just emailed him back about sunday.
Ok. Hopefully we can get some of your problems fixed or at least figured out. Man the person that had that car must have run the shit out of it..Such a shame..And I thought ours was in bad shape!
Sedan Revolution #214
White 2000 Focus SE
CD Silver 2002 SVT Focus #1255
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #43
karman3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 69146
What I Drive: 2001, silver zx3; 2007, gray zx5

FF Reputation: 1 karman3 Good Standing Member
blown engine

If you bought the car recently in NJ or it had a NJ title you need to check NJ's law on car sales. I know their tough. I'm in PA and I was thinking of buying a car in NJ a few years back and there was something about buyers protection that sounded good. At least do an internet search. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #44
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thanks tdriver, if it comes to that Mass isn't too far!

I emailed Jeff back, he said sunday at 12 is good.

Karman, from what I gathered, it only applies to dealers. But I'm gonna fix this bad boy if I can...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #45
focus_family
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I emailed Jeff back, he said sunday at 12 is good.
You mean Josh? lol Yeah he told me.
Sedan Revolution #214
White 2000 Focus SE
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #46
SPRAYPAINT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89747
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 SPRAYPAINT Good Standing Member
I have to chime in here! As a General Manager of a WELL KNOWN shop in the Spring/Cypress area I say take the car to a GOOD technician, not a mechanic at a tire and auto shop. You need someone to actually run tests on the car (cylinder leak down test, compression test, cylinder balance test, secondary ignition system tests, etc) before you start thinking your screwed or have been taken advantage of. Your should expect to pay around 2-3 hours of labor or less to have an EXPERIENCED tech look at it. I know that can be expensive up front but it could save you thousands. Keep in mind, let him tell you what is wrong and you can fix it!

January 2012 Ride Of The Month
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #47
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus_family View Post
You mean Josh? lol Yeah he told me.
I'm notoriously bad with names. Sorry about that!

Yeah, I really should've taken it to a technician. My old man loves this shop thought since they've always done a good job on the F-150 and Explorer. Then again he isn't always right like he thinks! I'll see what Josh has to say and we'll go from there. If I can fix Monesha for under $2000 I will!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #48
fakitol
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63209
What I Drive: 01 zx3 mtx,04 svt,01 zx3 atx, 02svt

FF Reputation: 1 fakitol Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
LITTLE HELP FROM NJ GUY!
There is no law that you can use against the seller. No one force you to buy the car! It's you decision and you should be careful what are you buying. Did you buy the car from Clifton NJ? I went to check this orange svt EAP. Timing belt was never done and the guy told you that right? There is ORP (off road pipe) on it and it has a tune to turn off the CEL, maybe the flex is screwed but it wasn't loud at all. The oil smell comes from the valve cover as far as I saw+was dripping oil on the drive way. Didn't have chance to lift it up,maybe it's just the oil pan dripping on the ORP. The car is BEAT UP! You need to change the whole suspension and that is mandatory! The car has clean title but it has been wrecked before and some parts are resprayed (bumpers,side skirts,doors,trunk). Check your floor in the back you will see. That engine need a tune up badly and it was running poor & you need to wiggle some things around(he only did oil changes nothing else). I think it's the same car so this can help you a little bit. I bet it's the timing belt I did check it was fine but anything happens. I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE JUST HONEST!
Good Luck
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #49
jmcrides03
low n slow

Fan#: 75938
What I Drive: 96 paseo 97 contour zetec mtx 75

FF Reputation: 7 jmcrides03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
if a shop told me my engine was screwed with out giving me specifics id never go back. sound like theyre trying to make a buck off you. i had a shop tell me the motor in my monte was blown and they offered me 200 bucks for the car when it was only 50 bucks and a couple hours of my time to fix it
sedan revolution #83 Team Focus Cleveland #14
96 toyota paseo 97 contour zetec mtx turbo build in progress
Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #50
focus_family
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrides03 View Post
if a shop told me my engine was screwed with out giving me specifics id never go back. sound like theyre trying to make a buck off you. i had a shop tell me the motor in my monte was blown and they offered me 200 bucks for the car when it was only 50 bucks and a couple hours of my time to fix it
Yeah I agree. Its always best to get second and third opinions. We had one tell us that our nissan needed a new timing chain and it would be $1100 to replace. Turns out it was just the timing chain tensioner that cost us $50 and took us half an hour to replace.
Sedan Revolution #214
White 2000 Focus SE

Bookmarks & Social Networks