looking for help zx3 running poorly - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
injen78
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 125081
What I Drive: 01 Black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 injen78 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
looking for help zx3 running poorly

have an 01 zx3 and it has been running very poorly the past couple months.
i brought it to have the CEL checked last week and it was throwing a code for the TPS sensor and IACV, so i replaced the IACV(second time in 2 months), and went back to have the codes run. now im only getting a CEL for o2 sensors and IACV. the car runs like garbage, at initial start up it idles high and has a sputter, then will idle down and act as if its going to die, then jump back up, bog out....etc. the whole time it sputters.

replaced- iacv(2x), plugs, wires, catalytic converter, egr, oil/filter, fuel filter, vc gasket, rear pcv hose(original had collapsed) and new pcv

cleaned- throttle body, MAF

looked at- vacuum hoses, had a smoke test run on it and its passing.

really looking for some pointers as to what to look at now. could possibly get a video of how its running later if someone would be interested in helping me put it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Highball116
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112564
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 3 Highball116 Good Standing Member
What are the exact codes for oxygen sensors? Depending what they are, it could be a failure of one or both of the sensors.

Toby
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
injen78
Focus Rookie

i cant remember exactly but one of them was a malfunctioning heating switch i believe. i really doubt the o2 sensors being bad would be causing it to run the way it does. its acting as if theres a major sensor unplugged, but the scan tool shows otherwise.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Highball116
Focus Enthusiast

If the code was for an internal fault in the upstream heated oxygen sensor, then that's your problem right there. The upstream oxygen sensor contributes a lot to performance. The downstream oxygen sensor does not, and is only there to check for excessive emissions. Get the code checked again, but if it's the upstream heated oxygen sensor, that'll cause a lot of problems.

Toby
Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You're looking at STFT/O2 Voltage, which is not the heater circuit.

Check the fuses.
If they are good look at the heater duty cycle.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
injen78
Focus Rookie

Codes are as follows

p1506-Idle Air Contol Overspeed Error
p0136-Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
p0135-O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank1-Sensor1 Malfunction

the tech also said something about p2271 and p2270 which are related to the o2 signals/heaters

so what im going to assume is that a vacuum leak causing too much unmetered air to be burned which is making the engine run lean(o2 incorrect reading) and making it run fast(iac incorrect)

but ive been messing with the vacuum lines and havent really come up with anything.

first o2 is $43.99
second o2 is $65.99
coil pack is $90
and then theres various vacuum hoses that could need replaced.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Highball116
Focus Enthusiast

One of the codes indicates a malfunction in the heater circuit of the upstream oxygen sensor. See my original post. Internal faults supersede abnormal readings, and are always the roots of poor performance; not mere symptoms.

Toby
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
cheap sleeper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59848
What I Drive: 2001 black zx3

FF Reputation: 3 cheap sleeper Good Standing Member
coil pack, faulty battery cables, tps, dirty maf, fuel pump screen clogged or fuel pump failure. these all are common reasons why our cars will run like poo. i would check the coil pack first.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
injen78
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highball116 View Post
One of the codes indicates a malfunction in the heater circuit of the upstream oxygen sensor. See my original post. Internal faults supersede abnormal readings, and are always the roots of poor performance; not mere symptoms.

Toby
So replace the upstream o2? Ill give it a shot but i really doubt a bad o2 r and o2 with abnormal readings will make the car sputter, lope, and die at idle. But i do appreciate the ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap sleeper View Post
coil pack, faulty battery cables, tps, dirty maf, fuel pump screen clogged or fuel pump failure. these all are common reasons why our cars will run like poo. i would check the coil pack first.
Coil pack is one of the things id like to replace first, but money is the issue, im hoping that my buddy with a zx3 will let me test some parts before buying new.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Highball116
Focus Enthusiast

Just to reiterate, you have a code for a malfunctioning upstream oxygen sensor. The only recommended repairs are to replace the sensor, or repair the wiring: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0135. Also, the upstream oxygen sensor contributes a lot to performance, as it informs the air-fuel ratio. You're thinking of the downstream oxygen sensor, which is only there to track emissions.

Toby

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->