Valve cover/spark plug seal replacement - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
bad_haze
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46157
What I Drive: Focus SE GFX

Points 747, Level 14
Points: 747, Level: 14 Points: 747, Level: 14 Points: 747, Level: 14
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 bad_haze Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Valve cover/spark plug seal replacement

Hi guys! Always find this site informative and fun! I have an issue that may require replacement of these seals. Here is the situation:

I have a 2007 Ford Focus SE 2.0 Duratec with 80'000km on it.
I changed my spark plugs 30'000km ago to 0.55 gap Autolite AR103 (coppper).
At the time the stock plugs came out of my engine dry and looked good.
When I put the new AR103s in, I forgot to connect CYL1 spark plug electronics.
As a result, i drove around for 15 minutes with 3 cylinders working...
Upon realizing my error, I reconnected the plug and the car ran smoothly ever since.

30'000km later, last week I changed my AR103s to new ones.
Upon pulling out the CYL1 spark plug I noticed the head & threads were covered in oil and there was a pool of oil in the chamber below. The ceramic was completely dry.
CYL 2,3,4 were totally dry and looked good.
I let CYL1 sit open for a while and the oil drained...
I put in the new AR103 and the car idled smoother than before.
Drove around for a day & pulled out the spark plug on CYL1.
The tip & ceramic were bone dry but the threads had oil in them.

I am guessing I will need to replace the spark plug tube seal. The dealer is going to charge me 220$ to change all the seals - valve cover & all spark plug tubes. The parts cost 60$. I hear the job is easy to do... Is this something I can do on my own?

My research tells me I need to:
0) Disconnect the battery
1) Disconnect Valve Cover breather tube,
2) Disconnect all electronics
3) Unscrew the 10 bolts holding the Valve Cover on
4) Remove & replace the seals
5) Put everything back on in criss cross pattern

Think I should try this on my own or will I completely mess up my car?
I am curious as to how the engine works and would like to see the interior!! But I am afraid this job is designed for trained technicians... I have replaced my throttle body and the intake and the spark plugs and did a stereo/amp set up so I'm not totally inept when it comes to car maintenance. I also worked in a Wal Mart garage for a year.

I wouldn't mind doing the maintenance myself but it's winter here and still gets pretty cold... can I keep running the car like this until it gets warmer? Like 2-3 more weeks? Or is this an urgent issue that needs to be resolved now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.