question about the painted 17" wheels - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
DoubleD2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95267
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DoubleD2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
question about the painted 17" wheels

Hi All, Newbie here doing research on a new ride, considering the Focus Titanium Hatch or a Nissan Juke.

Question: I see the painted 17" wheels on the Ford website are $295, just about all of the Titanium's I see in the local inventory has the "sport" wheels. I'd really rather then painted 17's. Do the local dealers stock these wheels and could easily be swapped out for the sport wheels I see on so many? If so will I get any credit for the "sport" wheels or they'll just add 295 to my price?

This is the wheel in question:
From Ford site:

Pic from member rides:

In the many pictures I see of these painted 17's they all look black(see above pic) but on the Ford website they appear to be a gunmetal(see first pic). I'd really like the gunmetal look over black but either would work. Let me know if they are black or really dark gunmetal.

Thanks for the info!
Derek

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
captainsubt3xt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95121
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver/Titanium/5-Door

Points 2,039, Level 27
Points: 2,039, Level: 27 Points: 2,039, Level: 27 Points: 2,039, Level: 27
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 captainsubt3xt Good Standing Member
Get the ones pictured up top. You won't regret it. They look boss.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
DoubleD2012
Focus Enthusiast

^^ that's what I want but is that what's on the candy blue in the second pic?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD2012 View Post
^^ that's what I want but is that what's on the candy blue in the second pic?
Yeah, they are the ones that are black in the inner portion of the wheel, like the car pictured. I would have loved the polished only wheels...but I like my multispoke 17's

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
DoubleD2012
Focus Enthusiast

what a bummer they look completely different on the car then on the ford site, I think the gunmetal is better looking than the black
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
fourcircle
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94490
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5 Door Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 fourcircle Good Standing Member
Quote:
Do the local dealers stock these wheels and could easily be swapped out for the sport wheels I see on so many?

Let me know if they are black or really dark gunmetal. Derek
Derek: The 17 inch wheels you are looking at come in either polished or painted. The polished are so shinny they look like chrome, and the pained is not gunmetal as you were hoping but is instead painted black just like in the picture of the blue car you posted.

The "star" sport wheels you are seeing on so many titaniums is an upgrade ($795 I believe?), and they are 18 inches. They also are mated with a handling package suspension tune to the car, only Titaniums. I found it to be quite stiff and a bit too hard.

As for swapping any of the wheels, you are not likely going to find a dealer willing to do that off of another car because each vin# has an original equipment list they won't monkey with. I'd suggest you buy a stock Titanium with the standard 17s and see if your dealer will work with you on swapping them with the parts department for the painted 17s. It'll likely cost you a few hundred since they are considered aftermarket and they don't come equipped on a car. A cheaper alternative might be to buy the SEL and just equip it with the optional painted 17s.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
DoubleD2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourcircle View Post
Derek: The 17 inch wheels you are looking at come in either polished or painted. The polished are so shinny they look like chrome, and the pained is not gunmetal as you were hoping but is instead painted black just like in the picture of the blue car you posted.

The "star" sport wheels you are seeing on so many titaniums is an upgrade ($795 I believe?), and they are 18 inches. They also are mated with a handling package suspension tune to the car, only Titaniums. I found it to be quite stiff and a bit too hard.

As for swapping any of the wheels, you are not likely going to find a dealer willing to do that off of another car because each vin# has an original equipment list they won't monkey with. I'd suggest you buy a stock Titanium with the standard 17s and see if your dealer will work with you on swapping them with the parts department for the painted 17s. It'll likely cost you a few hundred since they are considered aftermarket and they don't come equipped on a car. A cheaper alternative might be to buy the SEL and just equip it with the optional painted 17s.

Good luck!
thanks for the insight, I may just have to see about getting a set from the dealer at 295, or I could look into an aftermarket set and get a gunmetal set
Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
st falcon
Focus Addict

Quote:
thanks for the insight, I may just have to see about getting a set from the dealer at 295, or I could look into an aftermarket set and get a gunmetal set
The 295 is the upgrade price, not the price of the wheels set, but you might already know that...The wheels are about 500 a piece when you buy them seperately..when you order the car, you can chose these wheels and just pay the 295 for the upgrade...as for the Juke, well, it reminds me of a word that also ends in "uke"...buuut thats just me

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
The 295 is the upgrade price, not the price of the wheels set, but you might already know that...The wheels are about 500 a piece when you buy them seperately..when you order the car, you can chose these wheels and just pay the 295 for the upgrade...as for the Juke, well, it reminds me of a word that also ends in "uke"...buuut thats just me
Isn't the list price $250 each? Unless you're counting tire, sensor, mounting and whatnot. You might be able to find them on eBay for a bit less, but shipping probably won't be cheap.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
st falcon
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Isn't the list price $250 each? Unless you're counting tire, sensor, mounting and whatnot. You might be able to find them on eBay for a bit less, but shipping probably won't be cheap.
The wheels on their own are actually $610 EACH on Fordparts.com. That is without valve stem, pressure monitor. OEM wheels are EXPENSIVE....You may well find a set on eBay, but since they are a special order wheel, I doubt too many people who got them on their cars are going to sell them anytime soon.

ON a side note, I have found a lot of amazing prices on Ford wheels like these on the UK eBay site. These type of wheels are a dime-a-dozen over there, but again, shipping would suuuuuck.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.