SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
FRPP 1.5 inch drop is what I got, and on the roads of CT? I'm happy.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #32
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How does the FRPP handle without a sway bar? I know my ZX3 has the stock bar...with the stiffer set up, would it be detrimental to get the system without at least the SVT rear sway bar or a stock rear sway bar?
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #33
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Just fine, bigger bar will help a little more, but the kit itself is a good kit for achieving better handling.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #34
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakc View Post
How does the FRPP handle without a sway bar? I know my ZX3 has the stock bar...with the stiffer set up, would it be detrimental to get the system without at least the SVT rear sway bar or a stock rear sway bar?
I had my FRPP kit for about 2 months or so before I installed Steeda's 22mm rear sway bar (my car did not have a rear bar.) With out the rear bar, the FRPP was a noticeable improvement over stock but I feel like the rear bar was helpful in turns and when pushing the car harder (on/off ramps)

I also upgraded my front sway bar to the SVT's 21mm from my stock 18mm size. The addition of the rear bar was more noticeable than increasing the front but they work well together and I feel they help the car act more neutral and predictably in the turns.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
Entrical
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75364
What I Drive: '09 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 Entrical Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I put the FRPP kit on my G/F's '09 SES and it handles great. I wish it were about a half inch lower, but it feels solid on hard turns, and it's comfortable enough for a daily driver even on harsh roads. The only time I rubbed was when the trunk was loaded with groceries and two (heavier) people were in the back seat.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #36
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Continental DW or DWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrical View Post
I put the FRPP kit on my G/F's '09 SES and it handles great. I wish it were about a half inch lower, but it feels solid on hard turns, and it's comfortable enough for a daily driver even on harsh roads. The only time I rubbed was when the trunk was loaded with groceries and two (heavier) people were in the back seat.
Seeing that you're the manager at the Big - O, what is your experience with Continental DW vs DWS? I've wanted the DW but realize that in less than 40 degree weather the tire may become a liability. Know anything about that?

Why do you wish it is lower? And do you have a sway bar set up on it also?
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
I had my FRPP kit for about 2 months or so before I installed Steeda's 22mm rear sway bar (my car did not have a rear bar.) With out the rear bar, the FRPP was a noticeable improvement over stock but I feel like the rear bar was helpful in turns and when pushing the car harder (on/off ramps)

I also upgraded my front sway bar to the SVT's 21mm from my stock 18mm size. The addition of the rear bar was more noticeable than increasing the front but they work well together and I feel they help the car act more neutral and predictably in the turns.
And that is the kind of feedback I'm looking for!

How long did you wait after installing the kit before you got an alignment? And what kind of rubber/rims do you have?
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #38
Entrical
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75364
What I Drive: '09 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 Entrical Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakc View Post
Seeing that you're the manager at the Big - O, what is your experience with Continental DW vs DWS? I've wanted the DW but realize that in less than 40 degree weather the tire may become a liability. Know anything about that?

Why do you wish it is lower? And do you have a sway bar set up on it also?
IMO, the climate we live in doesn't necessitate an All-Season tire. Now, if you plan on taking the car somewhere where there will be sub-freezing temperatures and/or snow, then definitely look in to an All-Season. The DW is an awesome tire, I have it on my G/F's '09 SES. Great handling tire in wet and dry conditions, and it's quiet. The only complaint I've ever heard about the DWS is that it's loud, but the times I've heard that were from people running extremely wide tires (P295/30R19 on the rear of a Porsche, customer came back the next day cursing up a storm that they sounded like an airplane taking off). The DWS is definitely a good choice if you're looking for a well-rounded, high-mileage tire. Just keep in mind that an All-Season tire is not great at anything, it's just OK at everything. Personally, I'd pick the Bridgestone 970AS over the Conti DWS.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #39
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedSlayer View Post
Posted via FF Mobile The front Eibach sway is 1 step up from stock and the Steeda rear sway bar I got was a 22mm bar.

I took the car in for service last year and the Ford mechanic told me that the frpp is almost identical to the svt set up minus the rear disk brakes.

For me it rides kinda rough but that has a lot to do with me having 18's an low profile tires. But it hugs curvy roads like you would't believe.
I believe the dampers/struts are the same as on the SVT kit, makes sense. How long have you had the FRPP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyL View Post
My FRPP sedan will smack down on really rough spots in the road. When new, the set-up bordered on harsh on merely crappy roads; after it broke in until now (30+K on them), it’s been firm, communicative, and precise about going where you want to go. It reminds me of the ride qualities of well set-up motorcycles. It behaves very well indeed on fast mountain roads: comfortable and confident.
Very useful review of the FRPP Chrissy. What size rims do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djzx3 View Post
FRPP 1.5 inch drop is what I got, and on the roads of CT? I'm happy.
If CT is anything like NJ or NY, then what you're saying is the stiffer springs can handle anything...any issues with the dampers? I've read elsewhere on the forums that the FRPP springs are a touch too much for the SVT dampers and they may have to be replaced more often...
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #40
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

I see, so if there is light snow on the 17 one or two times in the year, the DW should be able to handle it, provided I drive really, really slowly?
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90

Bookmarks & Social Networks