A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue - Page 15 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #141
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94641
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Murray5476 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dysan, just a quick question. Do you by any chance have a ford bug deflector on the front of you car? I do, Ford wants to remove it to see if it changes any air flow, that they think may be some of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #142
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Murray,

No I do not.

FWIW, I was doing some research on other Ford vehicles with this same problem and came across a Ford Edge Forum. They have the exact same mic as we do and not surprising the same exact wind tunnel issue that we do. One of the owners described the issue as follows:

Quote:
I did not find the microphone to be defective in any way before or after the SYNC update. I did however find the microphone to be of poor design. At high speeds ( 55 & over ) there is an unusually loud background noise. Sounds like windows open to the person listening on the other end. The microphone is mounted with direct physical contact in every possible way , to the hard backing of the headliner which is also in direct physical contact with the thin sheet metal roof at a point which takes on winds from driving exactly at the top of the windshield.

I fixed ours. The difference is amazing. No more noise
I emailed the guy and he sent me pics of what he did. Not that I'm condoning anyone go out and do this but he dissembled his Mic and actually extended the wiring so that the Sound receiver part of the mic was isolated from touching anything.

So with that said If that's the case I highly doubt a wind deflector on your car is causing any problems.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #143
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Murray,

No I do not.

FWIW, I was doing some research on other Ford vehicles with this same problem and came across a Ford Edge Forum. They have the exact same mic as we do and not surprising the same exact wind tunnel issue that we do. One of the owners described the issue as follows:

I emailed the guy and he sent me pics of what he did. Not that I'm condoning anyone go out and do this but he dissembled his Mic and actually extended the wiring so that the Sound receiver part of the mic was isolated from touching anything.

So with that said If that's the case I highly doubt a wind deflector on your car is causing any problems.
This fix makes sense... The mic is obviously affected physically by the vibration from the wind and road imperfections. I hope Ford can actually come up with a firm/software fix, or even a harware fix (tho that would never be a warranty fix)...I will be isolating my mic with foam wrapped around the mic assembly as a friend here has done...his calls are crystal clear, even at highway speeds on Michigan roads!

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #144
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
This fix makes sense... The mic is obviously affected physically by the vibration from the wind and road imperfections. I hope Ford can actually come up with a firm/software fix, or even a harware fix (tho that would never be a warranty fix)...I will be isolating my mic with foam wrapped around the mic assembly as a friend here has done...his calls are crystal clear, even at highway speeds on Michigan roads!
I may try the same thing if I get bored this weekend. Maybe not to the extent of dissembling the mic but instead trying to float the mic in a way that it's not directly connected to the overhead console.

Take some Pics st Falcon when you do yours though.

I will post the pics of the guy that dissembled his Mic so everyone can see the idea behind this.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #145
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Here are the pics. Click each one to see a larger ver.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #146
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Makes me wonder how the engineers would overlook this. It's not rocket science that if the microphone isn't isolated there will be extra background noise. I sure hope they are adding some sort of insulation from the factory moving forward.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #147
F'nClassy
Eh!

Fan#: 97270
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 6 F'nClassy Good Standing Member
Has anybody ordered and received a focus lately with this mic issue fixed?
HN#154
Sonic's MK3 Crew #07

Live together, die alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsken View Post
Instead of a "Dual Clutch", "Dual Personality" might be a better name.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #148
WaterRooster
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98157
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 WaterRooster Good Standing Member
I have a 4/23 built focus Ti and am having the wind noise issues with the mic as well. Although... I am a pilot and had an extra wind screen for my headset. I dissembled the overhead and removed the mic. I opened up the mic casing and cut the windscreen down so that it fix over the mic its self, reassembled everything and have at least a 85% improvement in MFT recognizing what I am saying and in call quality. I don't expect perfection when dealing with cars and hands-free, Even my A6 had some "Are you on speakerphone" issues. So this at least brought it back to that. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #149
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRooster View Post
I have a 4/23 built focus Ti and am having the wind noise issues with the mic as well. Although... I am a pilot and had an extra wind screen for my headset. I dissembled the overhead and removed the mic. I opened up the mic casing and cut the windscreen down so that it fix over the mic its self, reassembled everything and have at least a 85% improvement in MFT recognizing what I am saying and in call quality. I don't expect perfection when dealing with cars and hands-free, Even my A6 had some "Are you on speakerphone" issues. So this at least brought it back to that. Good luck!
Quick question, if the car was built on Monday how come you've already got it when you're in Il, when the car I ordered only had to go 12 miles between here and the plant but is allegedly not due to arrive until 4/29/12 which is not possible because the dealer is not open then. That doesn't seem fair, unless the car is already at the dealer but they haven't been bothered to go and check and call me back, hell they have never actually called me back come to think of it, but they do pretend to be interested when I do show up or call asking for information, so idk. I wanted to see the car already Mine was also built 4/23/12
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #150
WaterRooster
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98157
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 WaterRooster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Quick question, if the car was built on Monday how come you've already got it when you're in Il, when the car I ordered only had to go 12 miles between here and the plant but is allegedly not due to arrive until 4/29/12 which is not possible because the dealer is not open then. That doesn't seem fair, unless the car is already at the dealer but they haven't been bothered to go and check and call me back, hell they have never actually called me back come to think of it, but they do pretend to be interested when I do show up or call asking for information, so idk. I wanted to see the car already Mine was also built 4/23/12
No clue? Window sticker has 4/20 build and Etis has a 4/23 date on it. I got a call and was told to come in and I picked it up last night 2 hours after it came off the truck. No clue on how it worked, but I feel your pain!

Bookmarks & Social Networks