A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #121
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
cacophonous, could that foam be sandwiched inside the assembly? Also, if its roadnoise, not wind noise, how does a little foam over the mic port help? If it does, COOL, but it seems like the foam is a wind canceling solution, not background noise canceling....
Hi st falcon.

Not sure if it would work the same sandwiched inside the trim since it would probably be compressed down to a thin layer.

So far my tester felt it was better but still not perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #122
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94641
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Murray5476 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I had my MFT Upgrade done yesterday and the Call I placed to my VM seems to be much better but when on the highway at 70. Forget it!. Sounds like a jet engine in the back seat!. This is something I don't believe is a defect in anything to do with the car, just the nature of the mic picking up road noise and the fact that the focus is no where near sound insulated like a big luxury car. Sucks because every other feature on this car is a real pleasure to have and I have yet to ever own a car with handsfree that sounded like you were on a regular phone. My mom's BT in her Nissan Pathfinder sounds great, same with another friends BMW. I guess this for me will be a feature that I paid for that I cannot really use.
My dealership is replacing wiring harness to microphone. Hopefully this will be the answer. I to love the car, but phone leaves a lot to be desired
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #123
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiew View Post
I finally got around to recording a few messages at various speeds, here are my results:

35-40mph: Recorded a 30 second message with me speaking and taking brief pauses. The turn signal "clicks" were very noticeable, but I could hear no road or engine noise, regardless if I was speaking or silent.

55mph: Recorded a 30 second message with the same pattern of speaking/pausing. While I am speaking, there is no background noise. During pauses, I definitely heard wind/road noise.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to perform this same test before upgrading MFT, so I really don't know if there was any improvement. Subjectively, it is much easier to hold a conversation while driving at highway speeds after the update.

I Hope this helps!

I'm interested if changing the microphone/wiring will have any effect on the background noise...
Ford seems to think there is an issue with the wiring picking up engine and other car noises...Maybe a faulty ground wire or something???
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #124
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Best of luck Murray. Personally I think Ford is reaching but that would be great if it resolves your issue. I did a test on the way home last week. I called into my voicemail and left a test message and played it back while I remained connected. Then I decided to do another test and record a few secs of hands free and then pressing the privacy button would record a few secs of what it would sound like using my phone held up to my head . WOW. I thought the road noise was horrible with the hands free but when I switched to privacy you couldn't hear a sound other than my voice. It was as if I were in a sealed quiet room.

I think were just gonna have to live with it. Its likely just an issue with the noise cancellation feature either not present or not setup by Ford correctly.

If there were that much road noise in the cabin my Cell phone would have picked it up easily.

Also many customers of other Ford vehicles have complained of the same thing..
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #125
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Dysan,, the only thing I know is that the Dealership test drove an identical car to mine, and the phone sounded fine. Mine had its very noisy background. When they ran a temporary wire from Mic to somewhere the noise went away. They said it will take over 8 hours to replace harness. But that is what they need to do. I don't like the fact that my car has to be rebuilt to that extent, but if it fixes the problem ( which Ford admits that is there) Hopefully it will be worth it. I take it to the shop Wednesday morning. Wish me luck............
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #126
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray5476 View Post
Dysan,, the only thing I know is that the Dealership test drove an identical car to mine, and the phone sounded fine. Mine had its very noisy background. When they ran a temporary wire from Mic to somewhere the noise went away. They said it will take over 8 hours to replace harness. But that is what they need to do. I don't like the fact that my car has to be rebuilt to that extent, but if it fixes the problem ( which Ford admits that is there) Hopefully it will be worth it. I take it to the shop Wednesday morning. Wish me luck............
M,

Please keep us posted. Curious though, is your issue present when your vehicle is not moving or driving at low speeds?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #127
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Does anyone know if you can bypass the integrated hands free and use something like a Jabra bluetooth speakerphone or headset but still retain your ability to have calls route through MFT? I like how it mutes the Radio so you know your phone is ringing and then you can either answer or reject a call with the steering wheel controls. It would be nice if lets say you were wearing a BT Headset and clicked the answer button on the Steering wheel that the call would be sent there instead of the Fisher Price Ford Microphone.

Can you pair your phone to the headset and the headset to MFT to do that? Is that even possible?

I guess worse case though if you did have a bluetooth speakerphone and you had your phone paired to MFT that when a call came in you should be able to answer it with the other device and bypass the integrated one. Only question though is will the radio remain muted while the call is in progress..

THe Jabra BT Speakerphone uses Dual Mics for superior noise cancellation. Something I don't' think were ever gonna get with our present setup.

Anyhow just trying to look beyond the situation. :)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #128
robbiew
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96199
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 robbiew Good Standing Member
Quote:
M,

Please keep us posted. Curious though, is your issue present when your vehicle is not moving or driving at low speeds?
My wife just called me from the Focus and I constantly heard the jet-engine noise in the background. Crazy thing is, the car was stopped the entire time!
She said the A/C was on, but the fan speed was low.
This doesn't sound like it's related to road/wind noise, but could be wiring/interference issues within the car.

Next time I'm in for service, I'm going to get the dealer to run a separate wire to the MIC and do some more testing.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #129
Dysan911
Focus Addict

For what it's worth. I did a little test lastnight with my wifes phone. I was curious if while in the car and the radio playing if an incoming call would remain muted while I took the call via the handset. It did. So I ordered a Jabra Freeway Speakerphone. It has great ratings and customer testimony. It uses dual mics so I will mount it on the visor and when I have an incoming call I will simply say "Answer" and the Jabra will take the call while the radio remains muted. When the call is complete I can still disconnect with my steering controls and the Music resumes.

http://www.jabra.com/sites/mobile/na...rafreeway.aspx

Basically I'm replacing the crappy OEM Mic with the Jabra.
I found it for $60 bucks on ebay and figured at least I can use this until there's ever a real fix discovered for the built in one.

I also made several test calls again into my voicemail yesterday. I started speaking when the car was stopped and continued to speak all the way up to 70 and then back down to a stop. My voice was loud and clear but with a speakerphone tinny kind of sound to it while stopped up to about 30 mph and as I increased to 70 it just got washed out bad by the windnoise. Horrible!.

if there is a wiring issue to blame then I would assume there should be a TSB to follow at some point on this.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #130
robbiew
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96199
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 robbiew Good Standing Member
Quote:
For what it's worth. I did a little test lastnight with my wifes phone. I was curious if while in the car and the radio playing if an incoming call would remain muted while I took the call via the handset. It did. So I ordered a Jabra Freeway Speakerphone. It has great ratings and customer testimony. It uses dual mics so I will mount it on the visor and when I have an incoming call I will simply say "Answer" and the Jabra will take the call while the radio remains muted. When the call is complete I can still disconnect with my steering controls and the Music resumes.

http://www.jabra.com/sites/mobile/na...rafreeway.aspx

Basically I'm replacing the crappy OEM Mic with the Jabra.
I found it for $60 bucks on ebay and figured at least I can use this until there's ever a real fix discovered for the built in one.

I also made several test calls again into my voicemail yesterday. I started speaking when the car was stopped and continued to speak all the way up to 70 and then back down to a stop. My voice was loud and clear but with a speakerphone tinny kind of sound to it while stopped up to about 30 mph and as I increased to 70 it just got washed out bad by the windnoise. Horrible!.

if there is a wiring issue to blame then I would assume there should be a TSB to follow at some point on this.
That is an interesting solution. I just wonder if your phone's Bluetooth can be paired with both the Focus and the Jabra simultaneously.

I have a good relationship with the tech at my dealer. He says he has relocated and rewired the microphones on several Explorers and Edges to solve similar problems. I'm going to have him do the same for me and hopefully I'll finally be able to use my handsfree!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->