2 Fast 2 Furious Focus. Yeah I know, again. - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #61
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE

Fan#: 64465
What I Drive: blue sub #6

FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i see it. i'm starting to think its a stock knuckle with an adapter welded up to create a mount for the ball joint. 1/4 inch plate and tube would easily support the weight, and the stresses involved when properly welded. especially if the pipe section had a gusset inside it.
the way it looks to me is they made it mimic the lower part of of the stock mac strut, added some bracing, and a mounting plate for the upper ball joint. but that's from what i can see. i wish we had a shot of the back side of the knuckle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #62
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That is how I think it was done too, but like you, I have never seen the other side. All I know is that welding a ball joint mount to a spindle is a job for a professional welder.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #63
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Another review with a few more pics. Mentions Cougar hubs. Which I know nothing about.
http://www.modified.com/features/010...200/index.html
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #64
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE

me too, if they are a cast steel knuckle it wouldn't be too hard to weld together properly. I have to weld cast steel parts onto mild steel pieces at my job everyday. its actually pretty easy as long as both metals are clean. however them only fitting a 225 tire? we can do that with some offset math and without a widebody. sure it might have more torquesteer, and according to dave's physics model incorrect, i doubt the differences would be noticed by anyone but professional drivers. though i do like how the article stated how they managed to keep the upper arm from tearing through the sheetmetal. and that they used a 100% bone stock engine and trans.... makes me want to go buy a zetec and do some more wrenching after the svt is built.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #65
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Ah, Paladin, see you are professional welder so you see things a little differently. I just pick up the MIG once a month and while I don't have the skill to do it myself, I at least have the sense to know that this isn't something I should ever try.

It is interesting to talk about, but the article mentions custom machining as well. If the knuckles aren't available or the plans aren't around on how to make them, it is probably going to be expensive to figure it all out.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #66
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE

yeah. all that for 4 inches more of track width and (arguably) better suspension geometry isnt worth it. it makes you wonder what made the car handle better? teh crazy suspension, or the extra track width on an already short wheelbase car. i'm voting for the latter having more of an effect. also like i said only fitting a 225 width tire. there isnt much gain in contact patch on that. could ahve easly put 245 or bigger if they had stayed with a stock frontend setup and just got some coilovers. that would ahve deffinitley made an improvement, even on the torquesteer issues.

from an engineering standpoint its a cool fronted steup, but from a real world, real budget mindset the could have done more with less.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #67
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Here's a different pic of front setup. It talks about wider tires also.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_08.html
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #68
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Yeah, you can do more with less money, but at the same time, there is no substitute for proper geometry. While the Focus is a very good strut suspension, that is still no match for a good double A-arm.

I'd still like to see someone do it. Having done an SLA conversion, I can with confidence say that I would like to see someone else do it.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 09-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #69
jcfr200
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119090
What I Drive: 2000 FR200 red

FF Reputation: 1 jcfr200 Good Standing Member
Hey Covmister. Just lettin ya know, family member owns the only two that remain. And yes, they cost over 200k each to make. Not made by Ford, made by McLaren for Ford Racing). Carbon fiber bodies, and too many custom parts to name. And, only thing I can tell you about 25mph, is that we were told by the guys who tested em that 180 on the turns was still considered peak handling.

Best,

John
Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #70
Covmister
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89659
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Covmister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Oh cool........

Bookmarks & Social Networks