Key Stuck in Ignition - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
tweetybird
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86686
What I Drive: 2000 Neon

FF Reputation: 1 tweetybird Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Key Stuck in Ignition

I have a 2005 Focus, 4 door, came home today from work, pulled in the driveway, put it in park, grabbed the key to pull it out - won't budge. I've played with the wheel moving it back and forth, fiddled with the key and the gear selector, nothing. Turns in the ignition ok just will not come out.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone been through this before? All help and ideas greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87814
What I Drive: FrankenFocus AWD In Progress

FF Reputation: 1 Kickerbeast Good Standing Member
Sounds like you need a new lock cylinder. On the plus side, having the key in there means you probably won't have to drill anything out. Most cylinders have a pin that you press in while the key is in the on position and then you can pull the whole cylinder out of the column. This gets pushed out when the key is in the off position so you can't pull the cylinder without the key. You could probably get a cylinder and take it to a locksmith with your old key and they should likely be able to reset the cylinder to your key. Either that or pull your cylinder that you have now out and take it to a locksmith to see if they can get it out. Either way, you may be stuck without a car for a few days.

ZX3 going AWD http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310574
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This is a common problem usually on earlier Focuses. Start by looking here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=54527
Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
fresh1dougie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21165
What I Drive: 2005 Sangria Red ZX3 SES Auto 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 fresh1dougie Good Standing Member
Key non release

That problem has happened to me a few times. Normally I let it sit overnight and it usually lets go the next time I drive it. I have noticed that if I am too fast at trying to remove the key before the shift is all the way back to the park position it gets stuck and wont come out. So now I take my time and insure the car is fully engaged in park, before attempting to shut off ignition. This has happened at least once a year. The key has always come out on its own. Just a glitch in security syncro I believe. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
tweetybird
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86686
What I Drive: 2000 Neon

FF Reputation: 1 tweetybird Good Standing Member
Another Question

Ok, so a new tumbler, does the transponder also have to be recoded? That's what one locksmith told me
Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
No, the locksmith is full of crap. Only the ignition cylinder needed.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
g_lipe85
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86172
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 g_lipe85 Good Standing Member
My 06 does this, Mine is caused by the plastic sleeve on the shifter sliding down and making it impossible to fully engage park.

All i have to do is shift it back to R and pull up on the bottom plastic sleeve under the shifter handle then put it back in park and remove the key
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^ On the ATX, there is a key removal inhibit solenoid that will prevent the key from being removed in any gear except Park. The OP said he fiddled with the gear selector but the inhibit solenoid or a bad lock cylinder are the two possible causes to investigate.

"Normal Operation
The ignition switch contains a key removal inhibit solenoid that will prevent the ignition key from being removed unless the transmission selector lever is in the PARK position. The inhibit solenoid (and the ignition switch) receives fused battery voltage from Battery Junction Box (BJB) fuse 1 (30A) and is grounded through the transmission selector lever assembly. When the selector lever is placed in any position other than PARK, the inhibit solenoid is grounded and energizes to lock the key in the ignition lock cylinder. A short to ground along circuit 31S-TA34 (BK/YE) will keep the solenoid energized and prevent the key from being removed. A damaged ignition lock cylinder may also prevent the ignition key from being removed."
Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
JQKingsley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94524
What I Drive: 2007 Light Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 JQKingsley Good Standing Member
I had this same issue with my 07 last year. I needed a whole new ignition. We got the key to come out once prior to getting it replaced, but it happened again and was stuck there for a few days.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird View Post
Ok, so a new tumbler, does the transponder also have to be recoded? That's what one locksmith told me
Only if that is the only key you have. The new lock cylinder has to be keyed to your key in order to work. If you don't have another key, then let me know and I can show you how to pull a trick until you can afford to get another key programmed. Don't throw away the key that is stuck in the lock cylinder. You might be able to program another key if you have 2- even if one is stuck in the old lock cylinder.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks