VIDEO: Add OEM steering column volume controls to Blaupunkt Head Unit (also works for any aftermarket with adaptor) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24351
FF Reputation: 5 jay-rod05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thumbs up VIDEO: Add OEM steering column volume controls to Blaupunkt Head Unit (also works for any aftermarket with adaptor)

I found a person on youtube that had done this before but he didn't post a how to or any explaination on how to do it. So after some research I found his website and contacted him, his name is Murat and he's from Turkey. Basically what he did was make a custom PCB that takes the remote signals from the OEM steering wheel controls (that were avaliable in Europe the whole time but only came to the US in 2005 on the ST) and converts them into signals that can be used by the head unit.

The work involved is pretty extreme, you have to know how to solder pretty well especially on two points where you'll solder a single strand of copper (human hair thickness) onto two resitors the size of a few grains of sand. So as long as you can solder you can do this.

If you have an aftermarket stereo and want the volume controls, I guess this just lets you know that the slot is there for the remote control and all you need to do is get an adaptor off ebay that converts the signal to something your stereo can use.

Here a video on it actually functioning:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This is the board when it's installed. There are 11 wires to solder from the PCB to the faceplate portion of the head unit. 9 of the 11 wires I used 3-4 inch lengths of wires that are inside of a Ethernet cable. The other two are individual strands from inside of a wire that is inside of an Ethernet cable (most difficult to do).

Forgot to mention: There are also two wires that you'll have to solder in that go to the remote on the steering column, I just used an old USB cable and used 2 of the 4 wires inside of one.

The steering column remote is super easy to install, the slot is already there on all foci so you just need to cut a hole in your lower cowl and then plug it into the slot. There is a huge margin of error you can have for making your hole as the base of the remote is quite large and has a shape forming gasket that will hide your hole.

There are three prongs coming from the remote, the bottom two are the only ones used. It doesn't matter which order you solder the wires onto the board as either way the PCB gets the same resistance. The remote I ordered didn't come with the harness so I just shaved down the plug area with a Dremel tool and used two wires I got from a junk focus (the wire connectors once pulled from a wiring harness are pretty much the same. I used a bit of electrical tape to make sure the ends don't touch.

After that just fish the wires behind the dash from the steering column to the radio bay and crimp a wire connector on each one. And do the same to the wire that you will have coming from the radio to the remote.

After that you're pretty much done. Just put some electrical tape on the PCB to cover any metal parts from touching the metal on the head unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
blackonblacksvt03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80038
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black SVT 3D

FF Reputation: 2 blackonblacksvt03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
u are god in my eyes for 5 mins anyways and u have your facts wrong i think all svts have it and they where 02 to 04 i know my svt has it anyways thanks man i miss having column controls

I work on Fords all day so more than likely i know more about your car than you.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblacksvt03 View Post
u are god in my eyes for 5 mins anyways and u have your facts wrong i think all svts have it and they where 02 to 04 i know my svt has it anyways thanks man i miss having column controls
Thanks, I went ahead and trimmed the first 25 seconds of me rambling about that out
Old 02-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
support
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77115
What I Drive: Ford Mondeo (EU)

FF Reputation: 1 support Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
wow, that's exactly what i'm searching for.

may you can explain it in more details?
screenshot and so on?

i'm from germany an bought that stereo in usa and i was wondering why it doesn't work in my car :-O)

regards
support
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by support View Post
wow, that's exactly what i'm searching for.

may you can explain it in more details?
screenshot and so on?

i'm from germany an bought that stereo in usa and i was wondering why it doesn't work in my car :-O)

regards
support
What part did you want more detail about? All you need to do is get the circuit board from mesrat and solder it to the blaupkunt's faceplate circuit board.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
support
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77115
What I Drive: Ford Mondeo (EU)

FF Reputation: 1 support Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-rod05 View Post
What part did you want more detail about? All you need to do is get the circuit board from mesrat and solder it to the blaupkunt's faceplate circuit board.
i was in the office and our firewall has blocked the pictures
now i'm at home and able to see the pictures.
do you have som contact data for me?
email, phone...?

regards
support
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by support View Post
i was in the office and our firewall has blocked the pictures
now i'm at home and able to see the pictures.
do you have som contact data for me?
email, phone...?

regards
support
His contact info is in the video description. Need to contact him via YouTube message, I don't know if he would want me giving out his email address.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Tomcatciller2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104101
What I Drive: 1999, Blue Trend

FF Reputation: 1 Tomcatciller2 Good Standing Member
Hello

I need help contacting Mesrat, i tried to contact him via Youtube, but he didnt answer yet.

Maybee someone of his older customers can write him a email he should check his Youtube Messenges or give him my Email Adress for contact. I want to buy his PCB.

My Email: TCC2@xyz.de

Thx alot.

Greetings from Germany
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatciller2 View Post
Hello

I need help contacting Mesrat, i tried to contact him via Youtube, but he didnt answer yet.

Maybee someone of his older customers can write him a email he should check his Youtube Messenges or give him my Email Adress for contact. I want to buy his PCB.

My Email: TCC2@xyz.de

Thx alot.

Greetings from Germany
I'll trying pinging him.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
Tomcatciller2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104101
What I Drive: 1999, Blue Trend

FF Reputation: 1 Tomcatciller2 Good Standing Member
Problem solved. He just contact me and i allready send him the money. Thanks for help

Greets from Germany

Bookmarks & Social Networks