08+ FRPP springs/dampers- confused - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
08+ FRPP springs/dampers- confused

Ok-

Before anyone bashes me- yes, I've search and searched and searched. I've read so many pages here that the info isn't sticking in my head any more!

I want to lower my 09 coupe. I want roughly 1.5" or less. And I want the parts to be as bolt up without extra parts as possible. Also i need it to be a stable set up that will last. I've never lowered a car, the extent of my suspension experience is all leaf springs.- I'm afraid of dropping cash on the wrong parts or it getting away from me. Anyway, it seems that the FRPP parts are the way to go.

I kept reading that the springs M-5560-zx3b and damper kit M-18000-zx3b is the way to go- but it turns out the springs are discontinued.

So I'm looking into the m-5560-zxm1 springs that I keep seeing mention of. But I keep reading conflicting information about whether the m-18000-zx3b damper can or should be used with it and if it will still be bolt up with that- further, about the stiffness of the zxm1 being too stiff for a daily driver or not.

So- based on parts availability it looks like m-18000-zx3b for the dampers and m-5560-zxm1 for the springs. BUT I also read that one is (progressive, dynamic, for track use...)whereas the other isn't and maybe they shouldn't be used together.

Can anyone clarify all this for me in an abridged version? I'm getting frustrated

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Well the dynamic strut/shock kit is M-18000-ZXM1, you can tell the difference between that and the M-18000-ZX3B strut/shock kit by the more than double the cost

the M-5560-ZXM1 spring would be a perfect fit for the M-18000-ZXM1 strut/shock combo, but the cost of the strut/shock kit is a bit steep. Probably a bit more extreme setup vs the more tame/daily driver ZX3B setup

you can still find the M-5560-ZX3B springs on ebay, there is at least one seller that has them. You would probably be ok to use the ZXM1 struts/shocks with the ZX3B springs but it sounds like the ZXM1 springs are progressive and would probably beat on the ZX3B strut/shocks leading to premature life.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
..... You would probably be ok to use the ZXM1 struts/shocks with the ZX3B springs but it sounds like the ZXM1 springs are progressive and would probably beat on the ZX3B strut/shocks leading to premature life.
That's exactly what I was wondering! Thank you!

I found this last night: http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-susp...1-springs.html That further confirmed that.

So I'd be best to hunt down the zx3b springs if I want a decent ride and longevity. I found the ones on eBay- $210, stinks because I know they should be less.

Anyone ever hear of or use fordracingparts123.com? They seem like a legit site, but I wonder if them listing the springs actually equals them having them.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Have you tried hitting up Andy at Village Ford? Or how 'bout Steve at Toulsey Ford?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 06-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

When I started looking, tousley didn't have them- viliage listed them on the site for $180 ($50 more than a lot of places..) but if you add it to the cart it said zero availability. Plus I was trying to use paypal.... I just didn't try harder with that until I'd tried some other routes and made up mind.

I actually ordered with that fordracongparts123.com last night. I dug through a ton of listings on Ford Racing and the dealership, Don Wood, that owns the site, was listed as a seller of ford racing parts. So, I figured they had to be real then. They wrote me this morning and said it was shipping today. Holy crud, that was fast! Ill go write an official review after the parts get here. Yeah... They had really good prices and shipping.

Bookmarks & Social Networks