building a duratec 2.3 - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
tungfumaster
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18237
What I Drive: 2006 infra red ST

FF Reputation: 1 tungfumaster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I want one in 11.6:1 flavor, idles well, bullet proof, revs to 7200rpm, that can handle some boost when I get bored with it.(6 to 8 lbs) I've been doing much research and it seems like its quite doable with proper tuning. Just less margin for error. And to everyone whose about to jump my shit about how I want lower compression? No, I don't.
ST Crew #30
1990 SHO (gone), 1992 SHO (gone), 1999 Lincoln Continental (crushed), 2000 ZX2 (gone), 2004 Duratec PZEV, 2006 Infra Red ST, 2009 Focus SE Sport, 2010 Fusion Sport FWD (gone), 2011 Fusion Sport AWD.
ST Dyno 139/139
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #32
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
11.6:1 with 6-8 psi boost will require 100 octane unleaded race fuel, or you will just be pulling too much timing and leaving too much power on the table.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #33
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungfumaster View Post
I want one in 11.6:1 flavor, idles well, bullet proof, revs to 7200rpm, that can handle some boost when I get bored with it.(6 to 8 lbs) I've been doing much research and it seems like its quite doable with proper tuning. Just less margin for error. And to everyone whose about to jump my shit about how I want lower compression? No, I don't.
Stands back with fingers in ears LOL

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #34
tungfumaster
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw5.0 View Post
11.6:1 with 6-8 psi boost will require 100 octane unleaded race fuel, or you will just be pulling too much timing and leaving too much power on the table.
It's not about brute power, it's about driveability and response, on and off boost. I have no need for a 400whp focus.

I understand the challenges , the margin for error is tighter tuning wise, but some of the honda guys have gotten excellent results...

http://www.evans-tuning.com/dynos/20...ch-sport-1000/

Keep in mind stock compression on the F22c is 11.7:1, and this is tuned for 93.

Now he is also using stand alone engine management so I'm open to the possibility that SCT doesn't offer the same tuning capability, maybe Tom can chime in with his thoughts on this.

Obviously though, it is possible to run this type of setup safely.

So how about instead of off the cuff negative responses, maybe just consider that it is possible and maybe have a little but of open mindedness toward the topic.

That being said, I'm open to any suggestions that will result in the driving experience I'm looking for. I've driven plenty of turbo cars and I can't say I like it that much. When given the choice to drive my buddy's speed 3 or my ST? No thanks, I like my ST just fine. I 'm just looking to enhance the characteristics I love about it.
ST Crew #30
1990 SHO (gone), 1992 SHO (gone), 1999 Lincoln Continental (crushed), 2000 ZX2 (gone), 2004 Duratec PZEV, 2006 Infra Red ST, 2009 Focus SE Sport, 2010 Fusion Sport FWD (gone), 2011 Fusion Sport AWD.
ST Dyno 139/139
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #35
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
It's not about brute power, it's about driveability and response, on and off boost. I have no need for a 400whp focus.

I understand the challenges , the margin for error is tighter tuning wise, but some of the honda guys have gotten excellent results...

Now he is also using stand alone engine management so I'm open to the possibility that SCT doesn't offer the same tuning capability, maybe Tom can chime in with his thoughts on this.

So how about instead of off the cuff negative responses, maybe just consider that it is possible and maybe have a little but of open mindedness toward the topic.

That being said, I'm open to any suggestions that will result in the driving experience I'm looking for. I've driven plenty of turbo cars and I can't say I like it that much. When given the choice to drive my buddy's speed 3 or my ST? No thanks, I like my ST just fine. I 'm just looking to enhance the characteristics I love about it.
My response was not off the cuff by any means, just to the point. Is the Honda direct injection?. The reason is direct injection can tolerate more compression before knock occurs. Our 2.3 does not have VCT or Direct Injection, so getting 11.6:1 compression and boost to live on pump gas is quite the task. Cylinder pressure is going to be your enemy.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #36
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
^^ the s2000 does not have direct injection
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #37
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:

The Focus isnt a Honda , Its a Focus , you need to plan your engine around what a Duratec can do and it aint no honda , it would be a hugh mistake to build a 11+ compression Duratec with boost , thats my opinion

I like the SCT much better then most standalones on the market below the 1200.00 - 1500.00 price range and it would depend on what standalone it is below 2200.00

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #38
tungfumaster
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
The Focus isnt a Honda , Its a Focus , you need to plan your engine around what a Duratec can do and it aint no honda , it would be a hugh mistake to build a 11+ compression Duratec with boost , thats my opinion

Tom
But what does that mean?

Is a Honda motor built better? Or are there characteristics of its design that make this an easier prospect?

By your response you have equivalent tuning tools with SCT...

I had this conversation with Walter Marcy for the short time he had his forum. He said absolutely he could do it, but then proceeded to tell me he wouldn't build it because it it would be scary fast. Now I do temper this with the fact he's no longer in the community but I believe that's due to lack of business skills, not his lack of tuning skills.

There's some good discussion on the topic here...
http://www.evans-tuning.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19

And the bottom line is, I'm not replacing my Fusion. My Focus is long paid for. What this means is that I have a fairly large budget for focus mods. I'm willing to spend a fair amount of money to get exactly what I want. Right now I'm doing electronics, suspension, and another brake upgrade. I'm looking for new seat and wheel options. This car will be perfect for my needs when I'm done and I will be owning it for quite a while. Keep in mind I'm still going to spend far less on this project than on a Fusion replacement even if I blow up a motor in the learning process.

If someone has an idea to get me to my goal post up. Keep in mind this isn't about max HP. I want fast response. I'm looking for quickest, not the fastest. Maybe a turbo'd 2.5 at stock compression would fill the bill.
ST Crew #30
ST Dyno 139/139
Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #39
Goddarn
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92650
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Goddarn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i'm looking to do this aswell =]
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #40
K26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 51125
What I Drive: 2006, Red, turbo'd ST

FF Reputation: 8 K26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Amen to the focus not being a honda lol Just put a basic turbo kit on it and be done. then if you blow the motor rebuild it for more power.

Bookmarks & Social Networks