Stealth CAI w/ Auto Tranny - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
cbf1989
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106860
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus ZTS 2.4L

FF Reputation: 1 cbf1989 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Stealth CAI w/ Auto Tranny

So pretty much after I finished doing the Stealth CAI for my 2004 ZTS 2.3L, I ran into a problem. The Cone Filter kept rubbing against the (forgive my lack of knowledge of car parts) Auto Trans Shifting Lever? Anyways, I did not see anywhere about it not working for cars that have an Automatic until after I did the whole project. So I messed around with it and it turns out it will work. You just have to mess around with it a good bit and take a hose from what looks like an A/C condenser line and wrap it around the filter and you are good to go.

I have had this changed out on my car for a few months now and still no problems. I have used it plenty of times while raining very bad and also in the snow. No issues so far.

I pretty much wanted to show people this thread to give others hope that may be discouraged to do it because they dont have a manual transmission. I am not saying that it will for sure work for everyone. So please dont hold it against me. I just wanted to throw the idea out there for other.

Here are some pictures of what it looks likes and also what all the air intake parts that I had to take out look like. It is pretty sad to think that all of that space is taken up by a bunch of crap (atleast I think so). I think they could have definitely came up with a better air intake system then the one they put in there.

--------------------------------

--------------------------------

(YEP THAT IS AN ACORN I FOUND CHILLIN IN THERE)

Sorry about posting so many pics. I just wanted to give the every angle I could find so you can see it is definitely a tight squeeze in there but doable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Very nice, I did that with mine, also a 04 with 2.3 and auto, but the hoses rubbing did concern me, so I made it a SRI, where it sits behind the driver headlight. I know its not as much cool air as a Stealth CAI, but it is better than the stock air box. Nice job on the pics and write up!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
cbf1989
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106860
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus ZTS 2.4L

FF Reputation: 1 cbf1989 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks GreyScorpion.

I thought it would probably be a good idea to change it to a SRI sooner or later as well. I dont feel TOTALLY comfortable with it being down there. I think it is better than having that big old stock air filter or should i say that HUGE MASS OF NOTHING lol.

So did you just make it yourself or did you buy it from somewhere?

Bookmarks & Social Networks