Bad Noises - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
COSVT03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6023
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 COSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bad Noises

Im very afraid to take my car into Ford because im unsure of what they will do.

I was driving around with my stereo off the other day because I had just got off my cell phone and forgot to turn it back on (was in complete bliss in the twisties) when I started to hear a clunk when I would turn EITHER direction! I was like NO somethings wrong. Me being all mechanically inclined and all I brough the Poor baby home to check under her hood I checked the whole engine bay up top and all the addon's to make sure everything was fitted properly! Perfect! nothing wrong or even out of place! ... ... ... ... I stick my head under my car and found I was missing the bottom heat shielding to my cat! (I remembered shortly it wasnt even there when I got my car...Nor was part of the tranny mount ) So I was checkin out the passangers side and stuck my head behind the wheel and to my amazement nothing. Checked out the suspension...nothing. I looked over on the drivers side behind the wheel and I saw a SPOT of FLUID hanging at the lowest part of the transmission. So in a slightly unhappy manor I took my car into the garage and lifted it on a jack. The whole TOP half of the transmission is covered in what I believe was tranny fluid. So now the question is. (Its already had 3 Transmissions One that came on it. One that the rear mount broke because it was missing part of the motor mount [The little metal plate] and the third one now is leaking?) What are they going to do? and has anyone had this problem? I did a search on tranny and transmission and couldnt find anything! Im completely bumming out

Are they going to lemon my car / make me pay to have it fixed and what not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
damn, what a bitch!

I'm sorry, dude...only choice is to take it in
Old 10-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #3
RockyNBullwinkle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12930
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, 01 Silverado Z71

FF Reputation: 1 RockyNBullwinkle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
First off, the majority of the time that you lemon a vehicle you should seek legal advice from a lemon law attorney. Especially when dealing with ford.

Secondly, are you sure it's tranny fluid. If it's still shifting as normal and you don't hear any noise while driving in straight lines I doubt it's the tranny. You sure there isn't another leak just above the tranny?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
BOM KRON
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14282
What I Drive: 03' SVT focus

FF Reputation: 1 BOM KRON Good Standing Member
yea being that the only time you even noticed a problem was hearing a clunk when turning it might not be the tranny....u said there was fluid all over the top of the tranny? well if its covered from the top down its possible it could be something leaking above...just make sure its tranny fluid before you start jumping to a conclusion ...

If it is diagnosed a lemon tho, bullwinkle is right...u gotta fight back!

Favorite FF Quote: "My check engine light has been on for awhile but I put a sticker over it so i didnt have to look at it"
Old 10-19-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
BrandonMShanks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9957
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 BrandonMShanks Good Standing Member
how can you not be sure if its tranny fluid or not, tranny fluid has a very distictive smell to it
Old 10-20-2004, 09:19 AM   #6
COSVT03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6023
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 COSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I dont mean to come over as an @$$ but im very mechanically inclined and have been working on cars for the better almost half of my life.It was tranny fluid the clunk is possibly the joint between the CV-Shaft and the transmission seat/seals. (Like internally, I forgot to mention that it doesnt Shift very well.) No its not how I drive it...most of the time.

The tech told me today they have fixed 6... and non of the problems have been fixed and that the dealership MIGHT use my car and the Tranny Techs Black SVT as Two test cars to see if it fixes the rattle issue. He also mentioned that they have about 3 or 4 more Service Bulletins that concern the Clutch/Flywheel/Transmission that he just got the other day. Not sure if this is BS or what.

I wonder how long till I get an Answer.

Does anyone know how the Lemon part of the deal will come about so I can possibly be ready for it.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
bfocused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63
What I Drive: I now drive a 2009 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 bfocused Good Standing Member
There was a TSB out last year for "creaking,groaning, or other noises coming from the front suspension while driving over bumps, or over level transitions" Turns out the strut tower bearing end caps were bad, as well as some stabilizer bushings. This could be the noise. Take it too the dealer, and ask them to run a "Oasis" report for your vin #. This will tell them and you about any tsb's that pertain to your car.

I also am driving around with my third trasmission. Finally got it right after 3 tries, man o" man...
bfocused
Old 11-18-2004, 11:09 PM   #8
ducart2002
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12128
What I Drive: 03 svt Focus, 87 Rapido Merkur XR4T

FF Reputation: 1 ducart2002 Good Standing Member
Hi all: Have a 2003 SVT Focus, I bought new at a dealer here in Ga. in late March. Just have a bit more than 3000miles now. Recently have noticed a rattling noise occasionally, when in neutral at a lite. Pushing in the clutch pedal seems to stop it , like it might be the throwout bearing or?. Also I have some surging at highway speed in 5th or 6th gear. I have read about similar probs. in your post's. Am old hot rodder and also have a nice 87 Rapido, Merkur XR4TI. Regards, A. Smith in Ga.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:13 AM   #9
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Well my friend, you have fallen victim to two of the SVT Focus's most common problems. There is a TSB out that your local Ford dealer should be aware of regarding the rattle. I just had it performed on mine. I will post the text below. Your Ford dealer should replace the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate with updated parts free of charge. Unfortunately, some people who have had this done say that the problem came back eventually. As for the surging, there is a TSB for that as well. The ECU can be flashed with a new firmware update, which some people have reported cured the problem. I have the surging, too. I've just gotten used to it, the roads here are so poor most of the time I can't tell if it's the car or the road.

Source: SVTOA Forums.

TSB 04-21-19 TRANSAXLE NOISE AT IDLE IN NEUTRAL WITH CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASED - PREMATURE CLUTCH WEAR
Publication Date: October 20, 2004

FORD: 2002-2004 Focus
This article supersedes TSB 04-12-02 to update the service procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2002-2004 SVT Focus vehicles may exhibit premature clutch wear, or a clunking and rattling noise in the transaxle, mainly at idle in neutral. The noise can typically be reduced by fully depressing the clutch pedal. The premature clutch wear or noise may be caused by the dual mass flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate or by transaxle alignment.

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check transaxle fluid level. If low, fill to correct level and retest for noise and proper clutch operation. If noise is still present or clutch is not operating properly proceed to Step 2.

Remove the transaxle. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-03C: Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285; Removal.
Inspect the clutch slave cylinder assembly as follows:

Inspect for leaks.
Rotate the outer race, while applying pressure and check for roughness.
Inspect for any surface scoring or burrs that may impede the sliding motion of the clutch release hub and bearing. Scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper.

Replace the clutch slave cylinder if necessary. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-02B: Clutch Controls - MT285/MTX75 Transaxle - Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Inspect the transaxle input shaft for damage, spline wear, burrs or rough surfaces. Scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper. Replace the transaxle if the input shaft is damaged and cannot be repaired.

NOTE: IT IS NORMAL FOR THE INPUT SHAFT TO APPEAR POLISHED WHERE THE CLUTCH HUB SEATS, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED UNLESS THE SPLINES ARE DAMAGED OR WORN.
Remove the clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-01C; Clutch - MT285 Transaxle - Removal and Installation - Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate.

Inspect the rear face of the engine block as follows:

Ensure that the two (2) required engine dowel pins are installed and are not damaged. If the dowel pins are missing or damaged replace as required.

Inspect the corresponding dowel pin holes on the transaxle. It is acceptable for the dowel pin holes to bear slight witness marks from a tight fitting dowel. However, if the holes are elongated then they must be measured. If elongation is greater than 0.040" (1.02 mm) out-of-round replace the transaxle.

Inspect the upper and lower separator plates for damage or warping. Replace if needed.
Inspect the crankshaft flange and flywheel mating surface for residual thread locking compound or rust. Clean as necessary.

Install the following new revised components:

NOTE: THE REVISED FLYWHEEL, CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PRODUCTION LEVEL CLUTCH COMPONENTS. DO NOT INTERCHANGE OR MIX.
Revised dual mass flywheel and new flywheel retaining bolts. Torque bolts in sequence to 83 lb-ft (112 N-m).

Revised pressure plate and clutch disc, and new clutch pressure plate retaining bolts. Ensure the clutch disc is properly installed with "TRANS SIDE" label facing the pressure plate. Tighten pressure plate bolts two (2) turns at a time in sequence and torque to 21 lb-ft (29 N-m).

Install transaxle. Torque the transaxle bolts in sequence to 35 lb-ft (48 N-m) to ensure proper transaxle to engine block alignment. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-03C; Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285 - Installation.

NOTE: THE TRANSAXLE BOLTS COME IN FOUR (4) UNIQUE LENGTHS AND WILL FIT INTO ANY OF THE THROUGH HOLES OF THE TRANSAXLE TO ENGINE BLOCK. IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE PROPER LENGTH BOLT IS INSTALLED INTO ITS PROPER MATING HOLE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
2M5Z-7002-BD Transaxle
2M5Z-7A564-AA Slave Cylinder
4M5Z-7550-AA Clutch Disk
4M5Z-7563-AA Pressure Plate
3S4Z-6477-AA Flywheel
W702426-S303 Bolt - Pressure Plate
W707339-S430 Bolt - Flywheel
W701350-S309 Dowel Pins
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
DEALER CODING