The most absurd story ever. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The most absurd story ever.

On December 21st I had a car accident. The SVT was messed up badly and it was my fault. I came around a curve and there was a car slamming on the brakes, I couldn't stop and I went under it.

Anyway, the car was towed to a holding yard awaiting the adjuster from Geico to see if it was totaled. The adjuster said it would be close, but he thought it could be fixed. So he put the initial estimate on the front seat and I had the car towed to a shop that I know does excellent work. A week later I get a call from the body shop asking me if I knew when the adjuster was coming by to do the estimate. I informed her that it was on the front seat and had been there before the car was towed to them. Apparently some one dropped the ball and that info didn't get passed on to the proper people. So a week or so more goes by the insurance has issued a supplement and work has begun on my car and I get a call from the shop that they're having trouble finding the Mach's for my car but they have located them and they will be in in a week. That will now put them at having my car for over three weeks. Fast forward to the beginning of week four. I get a call from the body shop saying the car is back together, but they're getting a code for my seat belts and they're going to have to replace them. It shouldn't be a problem, they just have to get a supplement from Geico, and have the car for another week. I said fine, I've been in the rental this long what's another week. Three days later I get a call from Geico. They're totaling my car! The price of replacing my seat belts will make the claim exceed the value of my, therefore in the state of Massachusetts, they have to total it. I asked the adjuster how much it would cost to replace the seat belts and he told me $1200. So instead of paying an extra 1200 they are paying me $7300(the value of my car minus my $500 deductible) and the body shop $6800 for the work they have already performed! We wonder why insurance is so high. I asked if I can buy the car back. "No the car is now property of Geico and they are going to send it to auction and try and recoup some of their loss." I asked if I could buy it at auction. "If you know someone who has a dealer license you can, but Geico has set the reserve at $5000, then you have to have the car towed to a shop and have the seat belts replaced and after that the car has to be towed to a state police barracks where it will sit until it can be inspected." I told the adjuster that no one is going to pay 5k for a SVT Focus that has 100k miles on it, a salvage title and needs seat belts before it can be driven or sold. He then told me Geico will send it to the auction for the next three years, write it off as a loss, and then send it to a salvage yard. So the SVT is now gone, but before she went I took a few parting photos with my phone.

This is what a totaled Competition Orange SVT Focus looks like:

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Oh man so sorry to hear! That is in my top 3 most aggravating stories I've ever read. I'm just WTF. WTMF. That makes no damn sense they would do that. I think it would have been better if you didn't put the finished photos in, makes it all the more aggravating that no one is going to ever get that car.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 01-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thats such bullshit!

Why not have paid for the set belts out of pocket? $1200 would be worth it for a rare SVT like that. Insurance company didn't give you that as an option?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony View Post
Thats such bullshit!

Why not have paid for the set belts out of pocket? $1200 would be worth it for a rare SVT like that. Insurance company didn't give you that as an option?
this???????

Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Focus Revolution Club--Hatch Nation
Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony View Post
Thats such bullshit!

No, it's not an option because the car is not road legal and there for can not be released.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bergner View Post
Oh man so sorry to hear! That is in my top 3 most aggravating stories I've ever read. I'm just WTF. WTMF. That makes no damn sense they would do that. I think it would have been better if you didn't put the finished photos in, makes it all the more aggravating that no one is going to ever get that car.
My cell phone pics don't do it justice. I took immaculate care of the car. The interior was in mint condition and now the exterior is as well. The car looks brand new inside and out.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
TomTheHero
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91514
What I Drive: 2009 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 TomTheHero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i had a similar problem with USAA back when i had a toyota avalon.
insurance companies are whack.
i'm sorry for your loss, bro
Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Very sorry to hear but I'm not going to lie, I LOL'd. The thought that seatbelts pushed the repair cost over the edge AND the car was already repaired to that point is just funny.

I'd talk to the shop and find out where it's going. They'll probably be understanding and help you out getting it back.

Also maybe a talk with a lawyer might be another course of action. I don't see any reason why you couldn't buy the car back as a 'parts car'. Just because it doesn't meet on road standards in current form doesn't mean it can't ever. And being you are the title holder and not the insurance company you have final say in what happens, IMO. For the insurance company to 'steal' the car out form under you doesn't seem right. A lawyer should be able to steer you through the fog and figure out if this is legal or not.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So, the body shop had no choice but to replace the seatbelts? You couldn't like... clear the code and fix them on your own at a later date?

I'm just confused by how easily it seems you 'gave up' I'm sure there were options...

But at least you saved 15% by using Geico.....?

(sorry for your loss)
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
implausible
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94362
What I Drive: '12 Grey SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 implausible Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCitySVT View Post
No, it's not an option because the car is not road legal and there for can not be released.
So once they take it, there's nothing you can do?

Bookmarks & Social Networks