Getrag gear oil (hopefully the final thread on it) - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #61
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

FF Reputation: 3 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc17 View Post
I guess I am gonna bring back a very controversial thread. I have a question specifically about Royal Purple. Before the hate starts back up I was recommended this stuff and am pretty set on using it. My questions is should I use the Max Gear stuff or the Syncromax stuff?

Thanks,
sbc
Maxx Gear 75w90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #62
larryc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79836
What I Drive: 2004 SVT focus 4dr. red

FF Reputation: 1 larryc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
redline/

this maybe one line that has been over looked in case there are other new svt focus owners seeking the correct trans fluid; http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=50204 if you use the sites application guide it confirms its correct.can't believe all the confusion.hope this settles choice some what.$16.00 qt. at amazon.
Attached Images

Last edited by larryc; 02-18-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #63
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Doubt it's been overlooked, MTL 75/90 was the OP's suggestion as an alternative to the Ford Synthetic trans lube.

Plenty of discussion though...

S.R. #275
Old 02-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #64
larryc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79836
What I Drive: 2004 SVT focus 4dr. red

FF Reputation: 1 larryc Good Standing Member
mtl 75/80

click the link-
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #65
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Link clicked.

Redline is currently showing ONE MTL fluid, 75/80 GL-4 they say is popular for Ford Focus.

I can only guess at their catalog for 1/29/12, my assumption is that the MTL 75/90 the OP mentioned was their recommendation at the time & that it was a GL-4 fluid. Might have been the only offering with the "MTL" name then as well, don't know that.

FWIW - synthetic GL-4 lubricant was agreed by all in the discussion to be appropriate, avoiding GL-5 "hypoid" type was the main concern.

"Redline/this may be one line that was overlooked" is the quote that caught my eye, seemed odd to call it overlooked since the thread started with a recommendation to try their MTL fluid.

Current info. with pictures never hurts, I'm not going to debate which option is "best" - that's a matter of personal preference & application.

S.R. #275
Old 04-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #66
DannyG
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128266
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 DannyG Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
If you want your motor or tranny to last more than 10K miles, choose recommended fluids with proper certifications, ratings and formula. The factory fluid is $20/qt for a reason.
LSCMan my question to you good sir is whether or not there is a difference in the two fluids that Ford recommends for the car: Motorcraft full synthetic manual transmission fluid vs. Motorcraft Mercon V ATF? Thank You

- Dan
Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #67
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
LSCMan my question to you good sir is whether or not there is a difference in the two fluids that Ford recommends for the car: Motorcraft full synthetic manual transmission fluid vs. Motorcraft Mercon V ATF? Thank You

- Dan

There is a Huge difference. Mercon V is automatic transmission fluid which has detergents in it, where as the Motorcraft Full Synthetic manual transmission fluid does not (as far as I know) and is more like regular gear oil just fully synthetic.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #68
DannyG
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
There is a Huge difference. Mercon V is automatic transmission fluid which has detergents in it, where as the Motorcraft Full Synthetic manual transmission fluid does not (as far as I know) and is more like regular gear oil just fully synthetic.
Interesting... There is a service manual on another thread that has the Mercon V ATF as a recommended fluid AND a member of the other thread actually called Ford SVT Team and they confirmed that this ATF is the proper fluid for the SVT Getrag tranny. Which would justify the RP syncromesh (being a substitute for ATF apllication fluids, as said on their website). I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHICH ONE TO BUY DAMN IT!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #69
DannyG
Focus Rookie

Here is the link: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/a...2&d=1232555761

Also, I drained my fluid since I took the entire tranny out with the engine for a rebuild... The old fluid from the transmission was a dark purple/blue.. Any idea what fluid was previously used based from the color? I personally don't know which fluids are which color, and I'm really curious to know now!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #70
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
The synthetic manual transmission fluid has a blue hue to it, ATF would be red. In my little hand book that came with my SVT it specifically list the synthetic manual transmission fluid. The Mercon V ATF fluid was meant for the MTX-75 which was later switched over to the same Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid that is used by the SVT.

If you look at the link you posted it specifically says Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid, then a period and under that is says Mercon V. You can use either but we suggest the synthetic manual trans fluid as ford stopped saying to put the Mercon V in the regular Zetecs and to use the other fluid.

Not saying that the person who called SVT is wrong but I would want to hear it from them personally. Especially after being on here so long and this is the first time I ever heard someone say that.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->