Getrag gear oil (hopefully the final thread on it) - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #41
haste
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109497
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Focus SVT 3-door

Points 57, Level 1
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 haste Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i went with "XT M5 QS" on my cellphone. one guy recognized it, the other didnt.

i saw them type it into their system as "XT.M5.QS" and it came up right away.

i can take a pic of the bottle if you like...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #42
Basselisk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102662
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT

Points 470, Level 9
Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Basselisk Good Standing Member
well the guy here tells me its the only one they have, they have another type of tranny fluid but this one costs 45$ a quart, with this number: 1045737

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-vehi...-/190679886573

that stuff...

they cant find xt.m5.qs either...
Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #43
haste
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109497
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Focus SVT 3-door

Points 57, Level 1
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 haste Good Standing Member
hope this helps...

Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #44
Basselisk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102662
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT

Points 470, Level 9
Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Basselisk Good Standing Member
yeh they dont have that one available... I guess Im screwed? lol
Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #45
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,192, Level 18
Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Add me to the list of 5 guys in the US that build the Getrag SVT Trans , I have a SVT Getrag making over 300HP to the wheels with Mobile 50 wt oil and has seen over 10,000 miles or hard road track use ( mostly VIR) over 500 1/4 mile passes , 100 1/8 mile passes runs a 1/4 in 12.99 @ 111 mph and tens of thousands of miles on the road as a daily driver , I have over 200 SVT customers running this same oil 100% issue free and most of them boosted where the SVT Getrag is exceeding its load limits set by Getrag over 300TQ at the wheels , I build mostly daily drivers not race cars and I do not work for a race team , I own my own engine shop , trans business , tuning and dyno business as well as fabrication

the claimed "wrong fluids" at your # they should be 150+ out of the 200+ I have done that should of gone bad and none have , kinda throws a wrench into your scare tactics , a MTX-75 with over 150,000 miles turbocharged track / DD car with Mobile engine oil 50wt Syn , 3 clutches but never any trans issues ,

This many Foci with "the wrong fluids" and no issues has to say something at least to the point they dont brake if you dont use the Ford fluids

Tom
Gee Tom, you've seen 10K miles without trouble?? That's is a real impressive testimonial!! How about an 80's vintage Mustang with 300K miles, weekend warrior Whipplecharger motor with 450HP and no tranny trouble? It took half a decade for Toyota Supra Getrags to fail and similar for Mustang T5. Most of these cars saw 50K to 100K mi before trannys jambed and synchros failed. The serious compatibility issues were limited to certain fluids, not all alternative fluids.

Please read my posts more closely. I was discouraging arbitrary substitution of fluids based upon some anonymous website recommendation from some french guy or whomever who said to use something because it improves shift quality. Depending upon wear clearances, shift quality may also improve with Aunt Jemima Maple Syrup or Kerosene because higher friction improves synchro cone clutch engagement.

I absolutely never said synthetic 50W motor oil or GL4 lube would cause a Focus transmission to fail. I frankly doubt it, but Illl still put my money on application-specific lubricants specified by Ford and Getrag. I was most concerned about folks trying 75W-90 GL5 hypoid crap. The 50WT do not contain corrosive GL5 hypoid additives, so it's a far lower risk substitute. I have run synthetic motor oil and automatic transmission fluids in various ZF and Getrags without issues. I have frankly run motor oil in more trannys than special gear lube, but those applications called for motor oil in the tranny. Many modern manual transmissions specify motor oil including my Vette. Again, virtually NO modern transmissions specify GL5 lube because it is not compatible with modern synchros. It is generally not smart to experiment because this has PROVEN over and over to be UNNECESSARILY risky. There is nothing wrong with the lubricant that Getrag and Ford both strongly recommend for the Focus. To pick some unapproved lube with differnt properties makes no sense. Maybe I'm a little more concerned than you because I own a BMW with a Getrag transmission that is worth a little more than yours lol. List is over $6K.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #46
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 8,146, Level 60
Points: 8,146, Level: 60 Points: 8,146, Level: 60 Points: 8,146, Level: 60
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Go with Mobil 1 15W-50 then. If you can't get the right ford stuff then get the next or equal thing... you may be able to find the Royal Purple stuff... or even use AmsOil to locate a local dealer that may have some Amsoil solutions.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #47
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,362, Level 100
Points: 51,362, Level: 100 Points: 51,362, Level: 100 Points: 51,362, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
So now Mobile 1 Syn engine oil is ok guys , seems we took a 180 here you stated a lot of things that this last post says things a little diff

I think 10,000 race miles at 2 times the engines HP/TQ stock engine and trans is a good testimonial for using Mobile 1 engine oil

This isnt about Mustangs , Toyotas , BMW this is about the Focus Trans and what can safely be used in it

I am glad we got that over and done with

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #48
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

Points 1,543, Level 22
Points: 1,543, Level: 22 Points: 1,543, Level: 22 Points: 1,543, Level: 22
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
Gee Tom, you've seen 10K miles without trouble??
If you would put at least half-ass effort to read with understanding you'd know he didn't say just 10k, but much much more.

Quote:
It took half a decade for Toyota Supra Getrags to fail
decade is 10 years, half-decade would be... 5 years.

Quote:
Please read my posts more closely.
Would you do that first?

...and now, I have no idea if Tom is right, but don't make your arguments fade by showing ignorance.

Quote:
I own a BMW with a Getrag transmission that is worth a little more than yours lol. List is over $6K.
do you know what was the last available Getrag 285 list price?

Our Lady of blessed acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
But.... why read facts and investigate a claim when it supports your ideology?
...that should be written as 'The First Law of Internet Forums'
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #49
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,192, Level 18
Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
So now Mobile 1 Syn engine oil is ok guys , seems we took a 180 here you stated a lot of things that this last post says things a little diff

I think 10,000 race miles at 2 times the engines HP/TQ stock engine and trans is a good testimonial for using Mobile 1 engine oil

This isnt about Mustangs , Toyotas , BMW this is about the Focus Trans and what can safely be used in it

I am glad we got that over and done with

Tom
To be clear, I never took a 180 saying Mobil 1 syn is OK for a Focus Getrag. You are stating conclusions I didn't make. I simply think motor oil would "likely not harm the transmission in short order", as I feel a GL5 hypoid fluid would. My feeling is the Mobil 1 Syn motor oil would be inferior to the specified fluid, but I can't quantify whether lifecycle would suffer much or not. Nobody can judge the appropriateness of Mobil 1 syn motor oil without doing costly lifecycle testing as all OEM's do. Nobody here can guess whether certain components in the tranny will be starved for lubricant or wear at a rate quicker than normal because the lubricity characteristics differ. A Getrag Engineer probably wouldn't make a baseless declaration about what non-approved fluids would be OK or not, so how could I? Some people know everything, I don't. The older I get, the more I realize I have a lot to learn. In most cases I stick with OEM recommendations where no other approved, alternative fluids exist or in cases where I have little or no reliable evidence to choose another product. I've been repairing trannys as a hobby for almost 4 decades and worked for a major petroleum R&D facility as a lab engineer doing lubricant testing for a few years. However I don't know more than the OEM Engineers and I see no reason to pretend I do. The tranny design is generally optimized for a particular fluid, so changing it's characteristics is generally risky. Getrag Engineering has formally come out more than once and decleared that owners should NOT be trying non-approved lubricants because they can cause harm or shorten lifecycle. The tweaks I make to trannys to correct minor design deficiencies and make them last longer (based upon my experience with root cause teardown repairs) are not on the order of designing one lol. It's like comparing the inventor Thomas Edison to somebody who knows how to screw a light bulb into a socket. I'm the idiot in this comparison.

Tom, there were hundreds of "experts" on the Mustang, Toyota and BMW forums testifying about the benefits and wonderfulness of alternative lubricants. This list included transmission rebuilders, race teams, prominent transmission rebuild shops and lots of pyramid scheme lubricant marketeers with hype stories. All these folks got egg on their face when trannys failed, but the innocent, easily-influenced members of the forums were the one's who really got screwed. You have nothing over these supposed lubrication experts when it comes to specifying non-approved fluids for the Ford Focus Getrag, aside from the fact that a disturbing failure trend hasn't come to light yet. These trends are hard to identify. Ford, BMW and Toyota Engineers all spoke out against the use of non-approved lubricants in their transmissions. This included Ford SVO and SVT Engineers who I personally know. Last I checked, Focus is a Ford. It's not reasonable to assume that problems associated with non-approved fluids are limited to the Mustang because this sad saga has happened over and over. At some point, there's a lesson to be learned.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #50
ronrutmr2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93298
What I Drive: 2001 Sangria Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ronrutmr2 Good Standing Member
2001 ZX3, 138,000 miles, still has original fluid....

Ron

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.