Best way to fix carpet??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105248
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 katkrazy2007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Best way to fix carpet???

In my 2008 SES Focus, I carpet that's next to the driver side door and passenger side door is sticking out from underneath the litle panel that pops on and off next to each door. I took it to someone to look at and possibly fix and they said that the only way to fix it was to have Ford order more interior and have it completely re-done.. I can't afford to do that. So does anyone know of any fixes that I can perform myself to get it to stay down? I open to any options. My idea was to get some heavy glue or adhesive from the hardware store (home depot or lowe's) and pop off those plastic pieces and glue the carpet that's sticking out down really well and hold it to let it fully dry. I know this is literally permanent but I can't see how it would hurt since you couldn't visually look down and tell that I did that after I had the carpet tucked back in and glued. The problem is that from the factory, Ford didn't make the interior carpet larger enough which is what is causing it to do what it is doing. I just need a successful fix I can take care of myself because I can't afford new interior plus labor to install it, not to mention time lost without having my car. Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,997, Level 71
Points: 11,997, Level: 71 Points: 11,997, Level: 71 Points: 11,997, Level: 71
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
I'd recommend what's known as "Contact Cement". You apply some to each part (the carpet & the floor in this case) then stick them together when it's tacky.

I actually use something made for the purpose called "Spray Tack" from WellWorth. Got it from a canvas/Auto Upholstery shop, but I'm sure you could find that or an equivalent elsewhere. I like that in particular just 'cause it's a spray can for easy application to fabrics.

Luck!

By the way, it's a common issue with all cars - the fit has to be trimmed pretty close, then with some shrinkage over time & the carpet settling in to a final position it's "happy" in I've seen edges pop out in all brands & vintages....
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks!! I'll have to make a little list of what you reccommend and go on a hunt lol! Its good to know that it is common and not just my car though.. It bugs the crap outta me! I just want a good fix that is at least semi-permanent (lasts for several years). It woudn't hurt my feelings to have to re-do it every few years (:
Old 10-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,997, Level 71
Points: 11,997, Level: 71 Points: 11,997, Level: 71 Points: 11,997, Level: 71
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
old metal door edge trim that screwed down held the carpet better, but cost, weight (minor difference if any) and corrosion issues relegated that system to the scrap heap....

The contact cement solution CAN generally be reversed (pull up the carpet) when necessary, so it shouldn't CAUSE any problems.... (factory attachment of carpeting in certain locations...)

luck!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
md11mx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104613
What I Drive: 2009,ice blue,focus

FF Reputation: 1 md11mx Good Standing Member
3M 1300L is a real good contact cement and can be had in a toothpaste size tube. You can thin it with acetone,,,i.e. fingernail polish remover.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Awesome ideas and suggestions everyone (: I need them oh so badly. I am getting more excited to fix my carpet now!! I think it will look more aesthetically pleasing when I am finished tinkering with it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.