Replacing rear wheel hub/bearing assembly w/drum brakes. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
pmiller613
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73693
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZX3 Zetec 175k

Points 1,095, Level 17
Points: 1,095, Level: 17 Points: 1,095, Level: 17 Points: 1,095, Level: 17
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 pmiller613 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymes View Post
@pmiller I don't think so... That's for a rotor setup, not drums. Wheel studs for a drum are attached to the drum and the is no hub assembly. The bearing is pressed into the drum itself. This is what you should have gotten..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...questid=322028

I just did mine a month ago, and the price of the drum assembly was $20 more then just the bearing. It would cost more then $20 to have the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in.
Thanks for the additional info guys... another case of them giving me the wrong part (or having the wrong part mis-labeled in their computer). I'll try to replace the drum (with new bearing included) today... to separate the drum from the axle do I just remove the axle nut? I was not able to achieve that yesterday. Also, I thought the axle nut was a 29mm according to other reading... but a 29 or 30mm axle socket would not fit and too small. Is it 32mm on the back also?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
I just edited my previous, as I went digging deeper into what the hell you bought. It might be for rear drums, but I have never heard of buying it parted out so much, and certainly not what you need for a DIY job. Buying the entire drum assembly with bearings, thats a DIY, 40 mins job.`

Yes it is just the axle nut to be removed and I believe it is a 32 mm. And if you have ABS, the forementioned gold ring needs to be transferred.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
pmiller613
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,095, Level 17
Level Up 95% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
I just edited my previous, as I went digging deeper into what the hell you bought. It might be for rear drums, but I have never heard of buying it parted out so much, and certainly not what you need for a DIY job. Buying the entire drum assembly with bearings, thats a DIY, 40 mins job.`

Yes it is just the axle nut to be removed and I believe it is a 32 mm. And if you have ABS, the forementioned gold ring needs to be transferred.
No ABS... also I saw there is a bolt or screw that goes into the center of the axle nut? What is that about? Does it need to be removed first?

Last edited by pmiller613; 01-29-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
pmiller613
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,095, Level 17
Level Up 95% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Success! Once I got the new drum (including hub & bearing attached); (to summarize) removed axle nut, pulled old drum assembly, put new one on there, and I'm good to go. Took me less than an hour.

FYI the rear axle nut is not actually 32mm... it is smaller (29mm) as stated in the spec, but is covered by a dust shield (or adapter?) that fits 32mm perfectly... anyway, I got the axle nut off using a 32mm but when putting it back on, getting it torqued back down to spec using the shield/adapter is not recommended (I fouled mine up attempting to do so).

To answer my other question above about the bolt/screw in the center of the axle... I did not have to remove mine. Also to note I do not have ABS so did not have to worry about those sensors/etc. as some people might.

Big thanks to suby6, iroc34, & Tymes for the help... I wouldn't be done already without it (+rep) This forum is the best out there hands down.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Good to hear. Just out of curiosity, and maybe to save others some headache, what was the price difference between the full assembly and bearing hub? It helps put a price tag on the headache of partial replacement and the easy full replacement.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
pmiller613
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,095, Level 17
Level Up 95% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Good to hear. Just out of curiosity, and maybe to save others some headache, what was the price difference between the full assembly and bearing hub? It helps put a price tag on the headache of partial replacement and the easy full replacement.
The price difference was $10 ($45 vs $35)... I don't know why someone wouldn't just buy the entire drum to start with, for others' reference (unless you were like me and not aware the drum was sold with hub/bearing attached).
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50774
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

Points 2,010, Level 27
Points: 2,010, Level: 27 Points: 2,010, Level: 27 Points: 2,010, Level: 27
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
If I had seen this post earlier, I would have told you to NEVER use wheel bearings from Auto Zone. they use plastic carriers that last 10-15k miles if you're lucky. I have purchased about 4 of these for my 2 rear wheels and all ended up failing, some catastrophically. When the bearing fails, you'll want to replace it with a high quality bearing like an SKF from NAPA. Unfortunately, you'll need a bearing press to make the switch. You may be able to find a shop to do this for cheap. I would do it for you if you could get it up to Central Indiana.

You'll know that the bearing is failing when you hear a loud whirring from that wheel that at first just sounds like loud road noise or a low tire. Don't wait too much longer or the bearing will come apart making it difficult to drive.

I'll post pics of the plastic carriers that I'm talking about later. Sorry if it sounds like I'm a negative Nancy, I just want to give you a heads up before you get stranded or worse.
Zetec Crew #190
Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50774
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

Points 2,010, Level 27
Points: 2,010, Level: 27 Points: 2,010, Level: 27 Points: 2,010, Level: 27
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
Plastic Wheel Bearing Carriers

Here are the pics of the plastic wheel bearing carriers.

Zetec Crew #190
Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

I don't see what's wrong with those carriers!! LOL

That's clears up the price difference for me, My complete drums cost $95 plus tax, now I'm in Canada, and the price is going to be different. But $50 is a large difference.

@pmiller I'd be paying close attention to those rear wheels, hopefully the complete set will be better then the bearings on their own. I don't want to have you sitting roadside with your back wheel hanging off like a Honda. :)
Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
pmiller613
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,095, Level 17
Level Up 95% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
I don't see what's wrong with those carriers!! LOL

That's clears up the price difference for me, My complete drums cost $95 plus tax, now I'm in Canada, and the price is going to be different. But $50 is a large difference.

@pmiller I'd be paying close attention to those rear wheels, hopefully the complete set will be better then the bearings on their own. I don't want to have you sitting roadside with your back wheel hanging off like a Honda. :)
LOL me too. Too late now, but I drive about 20k miles a year in the Focus, so it won't take too long if they go bad that quickly. Trust me I'll be in tune to the noise if the Autozone bearings go bad that quickly. For me, I've always had good luck with Autozone parts, although I seem to be one of the few. Time will tell for sure.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.