2012 se brake smell - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Davey Boy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78161
What I Drive: 03 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Davey Boy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 se brake smell

We traded in my SVT and bought a brand new SE hatch. It looks gorgeous :) but after driving home from the dealership I noticed 2 things. The miles till empty predictor seems to over-estimate, we drove 6 miles and it went from 401 till empty to 389.
Also, and more troublesome, after pulling into the garage the rear driver side brake was smelly. Since its brand spanking new we're taking it back to the dealer today. Any thoughts what it might be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
The distance to empty feature does adjust to reflect current miles per gallon. The version on the Focus seems to adjust a bit more frequently than others. Once you settle into your driving pattern it will likely be a bit more consistent.

The smell could be lots of things, but the exhaust is routed on that side of the car. Brand-news parts will frequently smell hot when exposed to heat the first several times, so my bet is it's just the exhaust system behaving like a new exhaust system will. I guess it could be a sticking brake pad or shoe, but if that was the case, the right rear wheel would feel noticeably warmer to the touch than the left. A sticking pad or shoe would also make the car difficult to roll forward or back while in neutral.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,851, Level 76
Points: 13,851, Level: 76 Points: 13,851, Level: 76 Points: 13,851, Level: 76
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Yeah, agree the exhaust system will smell a little from whatever is on the pipes and such.
If it smells a little like paint burning/electrical insulation then I would not worry right off.

As for distance from empty, it is not so perfect. It is just a calculation based on the current MPG the meter is giving. Just going uphill some could dramatically change the numbers.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,264, Level 28
Points: 2,264, Level: 28 Points: 2,264, Level: 28 Points: 2,264, Level: 28
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
As for distance from empty, it is not so perfect. It is just a calculation based on the current MPG the meter is giving. Just going uphill some could dramatically change the numbers.
It IS perfect and you explained why. It's a constantly changing variable and it won't get "more accurate" the more you drive because it's still a constantly changing variable.

New things smell when they get hot until and possible coatings burn off. Stop being over worried about absolutely nothing.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
We traded in my SVT and bought a brand new SE hatch. It looks gorgeous :) but after driving home from the dealership I noticed 2 things. The miles till empty predictor seems to over-estimate, we drove 6 miles and it went from 401 till empty to 389.
Also, and more troublesome, after pulling into the garage the rear driver side brake was smelly. Since its brand spanking new we're taking it back to the dealer today. Any thoughts what it might be?
As the previous posters have said, thats nothing to be concerned about.

HOWEVER, if your car sounds like its being hit with a stick all over when off, you got issues buddy! lol!! (see "strange banging sounds" thread )

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Davey Boy
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info! This is the first brand new car we've bought so I didn't expect the exhaust to smell funky. I'll look into the sticky pad after class today though I doubt that's it.
Fortunately, the car is not possessed hahahaha
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
It IS perfect and you explained why. It's a constantly changing variable and it won't get "more accurate" the more you drive because it's still a constantly changing variable.

New things smell when they get hot until and possible coatings burn off. Stop being over worried about absolutely nothing.
When will you stop feeling the need to post in every thread even though you have absolutely nothing to offer other than insulting someone’s intelligence? Trying to increase your post count? How do you know he doesn't have a locked up brake caliper on a brand new car?

That's right, the 2012 Focus is perfect and according to you it has to be an owner problem every time.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Points 2,264, Level 28
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
When will you stop feeling the need to post in every thread even though you have absolutely nothing to offer other than insulting someone’s intelligence? Trying to increase your post count? How do you know he doesn't have a locked up brake caliper on a brand new car?

That's right, the 2012 Focus is perfect and according to you it has to be an owner problem every time.
Dude. Seriously. Quit trolling me around and posting bullshit that has nothing to do with the thread. Who really cares about post count?
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Davey Boy
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
Dude. Seriously. Quit trolling me around and posting bullshit that has nothing to do with the thread. Who really cares about post count?
Maybe he'd quit trolling if you'd quit being a condescending dick in your replies.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Points 2,264, Level 28
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
I'm sorry. Where is that taking place? I'm glad to see the members here stoop so low as to name calling.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.