Caliper covers - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89667
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamsicle View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have never seen them in person, myself. Appreciate the warning, misfire!

I could paint mine, but would have to invest in 4 jack stands which I'd never use again. Maybe I could sell them I guess. Would also need a weekend in which I don't need to drive anywhere. That's a tough one.

But the responses here are making me lean away from the covers. Thanks again guys.
Use the jack that comes with your car and do one at a time. Just dont put yourself under the car and put the wheel back on once the "ok to touch" time has elapsed. Then just go onto the next caliper.

I have 4 jack stands and I still only used 2 at a time as the front calipers are a little different than the rear ones and it made sense to do like with like. Also, I painted them at 6PM and took a test drive at 9PM. The paint said i needed more time but I couldn't get it to smudge with my finger and ceramic cures better with heat so I didn't see any harm. That was 3 months ago and they have looked great since. You could of course just goto bed and drive it in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Luki13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92156
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Tri-coat SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Luki13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
I could paint mine, but would have to invest in 4 jack stands which I'd never use again. Maybe I could sell them I guess. Would also need a weekend in which I don't need to drive anywhere. That's a tough one.
Ask around. You might be able to borrow stands. If you're careful, you could buy, use and return them as well. We all know walmart takes anything back. I did all four on the VW at one time. Cleaned, taped (I used a spray calliper paint), paint, lunch and then put it all back together.

Why does everone like red so much? I did min black so they looked finished but don't stand out. Now maybe if I had a big brake kit....

2007 VW Rabbit - Modded
Old 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
Red Jay 918
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
i helped my gpa install these on his Mustang a while back. their not that bad but i still probably wouldnt get them. i dont think they come off as Brembo knockoffs... its not like they have Brembo anywhere on it nor are they detailed to be as such. now these on the other hand... oh yeah... fake, wanna be, wishes-he-had-them Brembo brake covers are:

besides they make them in other colors. from the website i'd say you can get them in just about any color you desire and you can get whatever you want engraved in them. if you want orange with an SVT, SE, 2.0L logo even your name...whatever.. they'll make it for you. IMO, they're not all that bad as being made out to be but still not my preference. up to you though!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
hoopty01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94278
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 hoopty01 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I have never seen them in person, myself. Appreciate the warning, misfire!

But the responses here are making me lean away from the covers. Thanks again guys.
I don't see a need to paint, mine already have a finished appearance(silver). I've got the 18's with the sport package so the calipers blend very nicely with the wheels. Not sure if other models have the same silver/grey calipers though.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #15
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bumped, anybody else try these?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
Tyson
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99177
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Tyson Good Standing Member
Quote:

You don't need 4 jack stands...just jack one wheel take the tire off and paint the caliper with a small brush and regular latex paint...calipers don't get hot enough to make the paint type matter plus with a brush you get a nice coat...then put the wheel back on and move to the next wheel...I did this last night looks great plus I get more coverage...

Only thing I will note is I have a nice big jack now that is something to invest in...
Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Doug81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85686
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Doug81 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki13 View Post
Why does everone like red so much? I did min black so they looked finished but don't stand out. Now maybe if I had a big brake kit....
I painted mine black also.

I used VHT caliper paint. I just cleaned the calipers well with a wire brush and VHT caliper cleaner and masked everything off including the fenders and applied several coats as the directions suggest. My rear calipers were smooth so I roughed them up a bit with some sandpaper prior to painting.

I removed the spring clips prior to painting and waited for the paint to set well before reinstalling them.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I'm just going to paint the calipers.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
^Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki13 View Post
Why does everone like red so much?
I think red has become too... cliche? I'm fairly certain I'm painting mine yellow - your thoughts?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
Q822.
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100625
What I Drive: GLI VW dark gray

FF Reputation: 1 Q822. Good Standing Member
My brother has done his in yellow on a black car AWESOME...
I've done all my car with paint kit bought on Ebay and it's perfect. You juste have to do one wheel at the time. One Jack is enough. I did my last one Black with Sline logo it was Nice but RED is always good too..

Bookmarks & Social Networks