SPI Valve Seat Failure: Statisitically, what are the real numbers? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
2003 Ford Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91951
What I Drive: '03 Focus SE and '03 ZTW

FF Reputation: 4 2003 Ford Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question SPI Valve Seat Failure: Statisitically, what are the real numbers?

I'm curious about the statistics around the valve seat failure topic, and the validity of 'everyone says it's doomed to failure' comments.

Is it that every vehicle will fail, or is it a mixed bag? Obviously the ones you hear about, or that are posted here are the ones that have happened. But what is the likelihood statistically speaking? Anyone?

First Ford: '62 Falcon Futura 2-door / Modified Production 302 / 270 HP / Close Ratio 4-speed / 3.50 ratio 8" Fairlane Differential (289-271 HP cam / heads / exhaust / medium high rise / 600 CFM Holley / dual-point) Low 15's at 90+ MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
deadend9009
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69681
What I Drive: 2003 Grey Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 deadend9009 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Seeing the cost of a SOHC engine in junkyard would indicate a high demand, perhaps due to high failure rates. These are assumptions...I could be wrong.

In for later.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
It's one of those things that EVENTUALLY happens to all of them, WHEN it happens varies tremendously....

EVERYTHING breaks eventually, in this case many break sooner than you would expect, hence the warnings about the issue.

A few of the "regulars" here have run to 150,000 B4 having the issue crop up, but eventually it did...

There are engines that can run a million miles B4 major issues show with good maintenance, but this doesn't appear to be one of them...

Luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's a fairly common problem. If you're ever removing the cylinder head for something like a head gasket failure, then definitely consider having new valve seats put in. The problem doesn't seem to happen after properly installed valve seats.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
hogback
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92322
What I Drive: 2003 Tan SE

FF Reputation: 1 hogback Good Standing Member
how much would it cost to have the valve seats put in
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
compumasta
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94105
What I Drive: 1997 Toyota Tacoma

FF Reputation: 1 compumasta Good Standing Member
That will vary greatly by the machinists in your area. Here in Las Vegas i was quoted (not bargain shop but from a reputable shop) a price of $270 bucks to replace all of them. Ive heard less from others here and im sure its not the most expensive. For me, it was cheaper to just spend 275 for a rebuilt head with the new seats, since new lifters were also required to correct my original problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I would say that the SPI is a head problem motor, for sure. I find them in the junkyard all year long, they always have at-least 3-5 sitting around with the heads missing.

Now myself and others have been on this site for a long time, and have noticed that the majority of people come on saying that the #4 valve has gone bad in some way or another, whether it be the seat or the valve itself.

But I do hear people say that if you spend the $$$ and get the head all squared away around 100k, then the SPI can be a good motor, as good as per say the Zetec in the sense of break down percentages.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->