Catch Can - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #41
got3fords
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93395
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE Sport HB 203A

FF Reputation: 1 got3fords Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Okay, two questions:
On Greg's install, you can't visibly check the level in the can. So I guess you just need to learn how often to drain it.

Secondly, couldn't you just vent the hose to the atmosphere and plug the port on the intake? I guess you would get oil dripping somewhere along the bottom of the car. On my Harley, I have a hose running down the frame and back to the rear fork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
You are correct that I cannot check the level but it takes 5 seconds to remove it and unscrew the cap...the only clear ones I know of are the OAS for compressors that Home Depot/Lowes sell that are plastic, not sure how well they will stand up to the heat of the engine bay.

I am running breathers on my mustang and thought about doing the same thing you described but decided to give he catch can a try.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #43
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Just out of curiosity, if the oil fumes that are captured by the PCV system are routed to the combustion chamber and burned, if you have a car that burns no oil wouldn't the catch can always be empty and so of no value?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #44
kbass24emtp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87665
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 kbass24emtp Good Standing Member
Well I installed my Moroso kit last night. It was kit #85600 it is for a Miata. To make it work I had to switch out the fittings to 1/2" barb. You can find them at a hardware store, it is just 3/8 NPT to 1/2" barb. The hose is 1/2 and make sure it is fuel/emmision hose SAE 30R7. You will need about 55" and you will also need one zip tie. Now you can reuse your factory fitting by just cutting the hose, but be carefull. There is an o-ring in there. I just bought new fittings. Part numbers 7T4Z-9E499-D and 7T4Z-9E499-B. I will try to post pics so here it goes.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #45
typemgtst
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96555
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 1 typemgtst Good Standing Member
I installed a catch can and check valve on my srt 4 and it collected a fair amount of oil between changes. But that was a boosted high HP car. I'm not sure if a check valve is needed but may be interesting to look into. Bwoody has some of the best catch cans out there.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #46
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
You will probably never have to check a catch can inline with the valve cover breather. It won't trap much vapor because it's just a breather. Also the OAS for air compressors from home depot have no problem with engine heat. I've had mine on for over five years and no problems.

Also may want to use teflon tape on the npt fittings. They will leak.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #47
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Bump -
It's been a year since the last post in this thread.
Has anyone else installed one of these things? What brand did you use?
I am approaching the first 1000 miles and I am looking to due this type of mod asap so that I end up with a pile of iron oxide with some plastic bits before the engine wears out.

I do want to actually install it in the PCV circuit, has anyone done this?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #48
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Anyone got a diagram of the PCV System in our Focus'? I plan on doing this as well. But I want to see where the PCV valve/hose is so I know where to place the Oil Catch Can and what size catch can I need to buy.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #49
kbass24emtp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87665
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 kbass24emtp Good Standing Member
Well I have had it on for over a year now and from day one it has never caught any oil or water vapors at all, Every time I have checked it, he can has been empty and looks just like the day I put it on. I removed it when I had to take in the car to the dealer and will probably never put it back on. I would say, save your money or spend it on something else. It is not really needed on the Focus unless you just have to have one.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #50
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
You will probably never have to check a catch can inline with the valve cover breather. It won't trap much vapor because it's just a breather. Also the OAS for air compressors from home depot have no problem with engine heat. I've had mine on for over five years and no problems.

Also may want to use teflon tape on the npt fittings. They will leak.
I'm quoting myself here because you will have next to nothing in the catch can if it is in line with the valve cover breather. Catch cans, when installed correctly will catch oil and vapors. Were yours is installed, not so much.

I went with a topspeed performance battery breather catch can for both the pcv and valve cover breather. I get a lot of oil after track days and some oil in between oil changes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks