Catch Can - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Catch Can

Any 2012 owners thinking of installing a catch can?

When I get my car in a couple weeks, I think I might look into this. I know Ford stated they "may" have solved the problem with valve deposits forming on our engines, but I really don't want to go a few years to see if they really did. Anyone who has seen pictures of the VW/Audis know the kind of deposits I'm talking about.

When I pick up the car, I think I'm going to see if there is a way I can cleanly install a catch can setup. IMO, the more oil vapor I keep away from being sucked through the intake, the better. I think running a top quality oil and a catch can would be the bees knees.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

argh, didn't mean to post this one in the "interior mods" section. Can a mod move this over to the other section?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
mattlqx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87201
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-dr MT Yellow, '13 Boss 302

FF Reputation: 1 mattlqx Good Standing Member
FWIW, I had an Audi RS4, one of the cars most notorious for valve deposits. I'm not terribly bothered by newer generation DI engines, they certainly have less issues from what I've seen and heard. Considering the size and location of this engine, I don't honestly think it'd be that hard to clean the valves if you really needed to but I haven't checked into it yet.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
argh, didn't mean to post this one in the "interior mods" section. Can a mod move this over to the other section?
Your good. This is for upgrades, too. Not just interior. LOL.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
I can google... but what is a catch can? I hear people say that all the time but no clue what it does or what it looks like, where it's installed, etc.

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Basically installed inline with the pcv system to trap oil vapors fed into the intake manifold. I used an water/oil seperator for air tools from home depot. I have a different engine but the prmise is the same. At the time I think everything cost about $20. I've been running mine for years, at least 5+. I took the little white filter out. You will have to empty frequently, every few weeks.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Shorvok
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94815
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 Shorvok Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
Basically installed inline with the pcv system to trap oil vapors fed into the intake manifold. I used an water/oil seperator for air tools from home depot. I have a different engine but the prmise is the same. At the time I think everything cost about $20. I've been running mine for years, at least 5+. I took the little white filter out. You will have to empty frequently, every few weeks.
What are the down sides of something like this? If it's beneficial why isn't it on vehicles from the factory?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Keeping oil vapors out of the combustion process for cleaner burn. Downside is you have to drain it every few weeks. I have had no problems with the set up. And my car has seen many track days.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Shorvok
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94815
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 Shorvok Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
Keeping oil vapors out of the combustion process for cleaner burn. Downside is you have to drain it every few weeks. I have had no problems with the set up. And my car has seen many track days.
I can see that being useful for a performance car, but will it do anything for just a plain-jane focus? I imagine the engine is made to handle the oil vapor so I don't really see it doing any damage so other than perhaps some kind of gas mileage benefit I can't really see why the OP would want one. Just seems like something else for a warranty rep to bitch about.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorvok View Post
I can see that being useful for a performance car, but will it do anything for just a plain-jane focus? I imagine the engine is made to handle the oil vapor so I don't really see it doing any damage so other than perhaps some kind of gas mileage benefit I can't really see why the OP would want one. Just seems like something else for a warranty rep to bitch about.
With direct injection, you don't have the fuel wash over the valves to keep them clean (since the fuel is injected directly into the cylinders). As such, there is an increased risk of having deposits build up on the back side of the valves. The PCV system is often blamed for a major contributor (oil vapors being sent through the intake system can "cling" onto the valves with no fuel present to wash it away). Also, the quality of oil used can play a major role too with how easily it "mists" so to speak. Seeing as how the minimum spec for oil with these engines is pretty much any old crap you have sitting on your shelf, I would hate to see what some of these engines will look like in 5 years.

This is why I am considering installing a catch can system, and a switch to a high quality synthetic oil at the first oil change.

Bookmarks & Social Networks