Ford Premium warranty worth it? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
BeastMD
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 186489
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Ti Performance Blue

FF Reputation: 1 BeastMD Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Premium warranty worth it?

Was digging around on the Fordowner website today and they offer a 6year 75000 mile premium warranty for about $1304. Good deal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
TooOld
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

FF Reputation: 4 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMD View Post
Was digging around on the Fordowner website today and they offer a 6year 75000 mile premium warranty for about $1304. Good deal?
Like all extended warranty programs, it's simply insurance. If you never have to use the program, or don't use $1300 worth, then in hindsight it wasn't good for you. Likewise, use $1300 or more then it was good for you.

(Not counting the loss of what $1300 would do for you invested and the value of that $1300 by the time the warranty expires -- assuming you have to pay the $1300 up front).
Old 09-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 12 wavsine Great Standing Member
Quote:
Just to clarify.

* The bumper to bumper warranty runs for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

* The factory powertrain warranty runs for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

* The factory emissions warranty runs for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic converters, electronic engine control unit (ECU), transmission control module (TCM) and any other onboard emissions diagnostic module.

* The 14M01 warranty extension extends coverage to the most troublesome parts of the DPS6 transmission (the input shaft seal, clutch and software) to 7 years/100,000 miles for Focus built between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455833

^ All of the above is free.

Extended warranties are a big money maker for automobile manufacturers/dealers if that gives you a clue.

https://www.google.com/url?url=https...UXnDOLnxLojOkg

Synthetic oil in GDI engines
www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396

Last edited by wavsine; 09-19-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Pretty sure I paid $1315 for my 6 year/125k mile warranty via (Harold) Zeigler Ford. So no, it's not a really good deal.

In fact, I feel like any extended warranty isn't really a good deal as it's so difficult to prove to the dealer that you have an issue unless the car doesn't function. I replaced my rear UCAs and my rear bearings myself even though the car is under warranty because I was tired of ruining tires. I don't have a second car for the dealer to mess around with my car all day and then charge me diagnostics to say that nothing is wrong with my car.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
The extended warranty might be good for someone who would have a hard time suddenly paying for a repair. Someone on a fixed income. Paying for the warranty with the car payment can make the cost a bearable one. And gives a bit of peace of mind. If you do this go for the 0$ deductable.

For the average person, who can swing a repair and not have a problem.. realizing the warranty is making Ford and the dealer money. they, on average make money on the deal. And the dealer gets a good chunk of the money you pay right up front. So ford is really still making money even though the amount Ford really gets is only 75% of what you paid.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
No, definitely no. I won't pay for it. My local FD is worthless.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:40 AM   #7
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
If I didn't trust the reliability of a car enough that I had to buy an extended warranty, I wouldn't buy that car in the first place. I wish that my focus didn't have some many issues, but at least most of them were covered by the standard warranties.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Check around on Internet, you can get the ford premium care extended warranty 6yr 75000 miles for somewhere between $900-$1000. No deductible. Try a few different dealers I think Anderson-Koch is cheapest.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
BeastMD
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 186489
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Ti Performance Blue

FF Reputation: 1 BeastMD Good Standing Member
Thanks for the thoughts. First Ford just dont want the nickel and diming killing me before its paid off.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
We got a 6 year 75k mile warranty for $800 from our dealer and went with it since we only average about 8000 miles a year and 3 years is up after next May and didn't quite trust the quality on a 1st year model of a new gen and even the smallest fixit can add up over 800 bux easily.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->