What to expect? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
brfitzp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93760
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 brfitzp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What to expect?

So i'm looking into buying a 2012 titanium Sedan focus.
I price out the car I want with all the options on the ford website and it comes to about $26k.

-Leather Seats, the upgraded suspension, and the sony sound system are things i want most from the car.

-I see things about a customer cash discount of like $2000, how does that work? Do they just take that much off the cost of the car from the start or is it a rebate?

-How has everyone's experience with the car been so far? Anything major breaking? (yes i've searched around this forum quite a bit and read about transmission problems but it seems they've been solved)

-How is fords financing do they except everyone? I'm only 20 with pretty good credit, but have no record of any loans.

-Also, I've never bought a car from a dealer before, any tips on haggling the price with them? Besides the $2000 incentive will they work with me any more? What should I expect to work them down to when the sticker price reads about $26k.

-As a note, I'll be trading in my 2006 pontiac G6 with 60k miles if i decide to buy this car.

I've been really excited about this car, and the more i read about it the more i want one, just trying to see what your experiences with this car are before I jump in.

Thanks.

Edit: Also would I be better off cutting a deal with one they have on the lot than trying to get them to order me one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
redshift1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93084
What I Drive: Titanium Noir

FF Reputation: 1 redshift1 Good Standing Member
Getting pre-approved for a car loan through a credit union will be cheaper than financing through the dealer or Ford Credit plus it allows you to negotiate price only with the dealer.

Consumer Reports usually offers sound advice for making a new car purchase
you might try their website they usually provide access to specific cars and invoice pricing, you may need to buy a CR membership unless you have access to one.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
So i'm looking into buying a 2012 titanium Sedan focus.
I price out the car I want with all the options on the ford website and it comes to about $26k.
Sounds nice.

Quote:
-Leather Seats, the upgraded suspension, and the sony sound system are things i want most from the car.
To each their own.

Quote:
-I see things about a customer cash discount of like $2000, how does that work? Do they just take that much off the cost of the car from the start or is it a rebate?
Do you mean if they'll send you a check later? I think that may technically be an option (at least it was with the new graduate promotion), but they'll just take it off the price of the car. There's a little box on the pricing form for rebates/promotions and they just throw it in there so it's removed from the price.

Quote:
-How has everyone's experience with the car been so far? Anything major breaking? (yes i've searched around this forum quite a bit and read about transmission problems but it seems they've been solved)
Personally, I like my car, but sometimes wish I chose a couple of different options, especially when I know my monthly payment is much lower than I had been shooting for. Oh well, maybe someday I will get some new tires.

Quote:
-How is fords financing do they except everyone? I'm only 20 with pretty good credit, but have no record of any loans.
I think they're more accepting of people, but not everyone will get approved. My dealership went out and got quotes from BoA and a local credit union (both of which denied me due to lack of a long credit history, but Ford had better rates than BoA and were barely any higher than the CU anyways and with the ford financing incentive they had going at the time it worked out better). With Ford financing, approval is (I think) mostly based on income and your credit score. I thought I had to get my father to co-sign on the financing due to my lack of a deep credit history, but with my income/credit score it wasn't necessary. You should really, if possible, try to get pre-approved from a local credit union as they usually have better rates.

Quote:
-Also, I've never bought a car from a dealer before, any tips on haggling the price with them? Besides the $2000 incentive will they work with me any more? What should I expect to work them down to when the sticker price reads about $26k.
You shouldn't haggle on the price with incentives in mind. If you want the car for $24k, go for that without the incentives, then have them add the incentives on top of it. They personally aren't really losing money from the incentives so it shouldn't be a part of the negotiations. A lot of people call them "dealer discounts." (No clue if that's an actual thing, my dealership only charges $50 over invoice, which I am sure probably isn't the best price, but it was worth it to me for the lack of hassling I experienced at other dealerships.)
Quote:
-As a note, I'll be trading in my 2006 pontiac G6 with 60k miles if i decide to buy this car.
Again, this probably shouldn't be part of the negotiations either (at least immediately) as they'll try to convince you that the incentives/trade-in itself is a nice enough discount without giving way on the MSRP. This was my first car purchase so others can probably give you better/more advice on actual negotiations, but this is (somewhat) what most people seem to say.
Quote:
I've been really excited about this car, and the more i read about it the more i want one, just trying to see what your experiences with this car are before I jump in.

Thanks.

Edit: Also would I be better off cutting a deal with one they have on the lot than trying to get them to order me one?
If the thing has been on the lot for a while they're more likely to make you a better deal as they aren't making any money when the car just sits there. Just make sure you don't go to a single dealership if possible. Look around and find some cars that are on the lot that you like. Get prices of those and try to see if dealerships won't beat each other's prices (this only works so much, and can be done with a car you order built). I think the main advantage to ordering a car is that you can get precisely what you want, with a lot car you may not find everything in a single car.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
josephd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84356
What I Drive: 2007 SE Dark Toreador Red Pearl

FF Reputation: 1 josephd Good Standing Member
If you have AAA, they are also offering some nice rates on new and used cars.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
USAA, Costco and Sams CLub all have car buying programs which help save money.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
start with dealer invoice price, and work DOWN from that. This info is available,just google

Up here in Mass, the ads have some wording like "customer cash" of which lowers "your price", but that is your cash or trade. The "your price" is not what you pay----false advertising.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephd View Post
If you have AAA, they are also offering some nice rates on new and used cars.
No one tells me anything!

I'm thinking about refinancing my loan. I got it through Ford when I knew my credit was (relatively) bad. It's already gone up like 50 points since then. I was utilizing a good chunk of my credit at the time, but then I graduated and paid it all off. The problem was that I bought my car before the lower balances were reported to the credit bureaus. I didn't intend to get it so soon, but I wanted a Ti Kona Blue... and I only found 1 in a 200 miles radius of my house.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 1,637, Level 23
Points: 1,637, Level: 23 Points: 1,637, Level: 23 Points: 1,637, Level: 23
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 TehMark Good Standing Member
If you are ordering one don't pay more than invoice.

Here is current promotions http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2012/...-Rebates/Print

Financing isn't bad. I think i'm on 2.9% or something. (edit: financing looks pretty damn cheep currently with those promos)
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
ksearcy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92627
What I Drive: 2012 metalic sterling gray sel

FF Reputation: 1 ksearcy Good Standing Member
Edmunds.com True Market Value

You may want to use this price calculator, it'll put you in the ball park. You'll need to change to your zip code and change options to your taste. I think the Sony audio is standard on titanium models.

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus/20...tyle=101364750
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 1,637, Level 23
Points: 1,637, Level: 23 Points: 1,637, Level: 23 Points: 1,637, Level: 23
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 TehMark Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksearcy View Post
I think the Sony audio is standard on titanium models.
10 speaker sony is standard on Ti.

random fyi: I don't know if the homelink mirror is still offered but if it is don't get it. the way it sounds on the site makes you believe that you don't get a built in garage door opener without homelink. this is not the case. the Ti has a built in remote that is attached to the sun visor. when i ordered my Ti the garage door opener was a nice surprise

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.