Possible fix for shaky clutch engagement - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
NWChris
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93217
What I Drive: 2012 Gray SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 NWChris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Possible fix for shaky clutch engagement

So if you're reading the other threads you definitely have heard about the clutch issues on the Powershift "auto". I think I may have fixed the problem (at least in my car).

I have a 2012 Focus with a build date of 11/11. There are no software updates available for my car and Ford has claimed no fix for it other than letting the techs do a drive cycle, which does not work.

They say that the clutch needs to "break in", but that doesn't seem to be possible under any reasonable driving conditions so here is what I did...

At 1025 miles, I took the car out to a safe stretch of road, came to a complete stop, then full throttle accelerated to the speed limit. I stopped again and did this 5 to 6 times in succession. I then drove around in select shift mode, down shifting and up shifting at higher RPM's. I performed a few full throttle engagements forcing the car to downshift etc. Basically I went out and worked the clutches as hard as I could for a few minutes. I avoided anything that might be considered extreme or warranty voiding, but I gave it a good go. Immediately, the car was launching and shifting with extreme reduction in the shake/shudder.

At first I was a bit skeptical that I had somehow affected the adaptive learn, but after 2 days the shudder has not returned and it seems to be getting better by the day.

If you want to do it, give it a try.

I wish I didn't have to say this but, I am not to be held accountable for anything you do to your car. This is merely my observation and what you do is your own responsibility. I have some pretty extensive experience in the Auto industry, but I'm not a Ford Mechanic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
aperson9923
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90061
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti Hatch

Points 1,748, Level 24
Points: 1,748, Level: 24 Points: 1,748, Level: 24 Points: 1,748, Level: 24
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 aperson9923 Good Standing Member
OMG this is exactly what I did and it worked too. I swear by it. I just love my car now. I also feel that it makes your car more sporty
Mods: Tint 20/5, LockPick & Backup Camera, K&N Drop In
Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92046
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

Points 78, Level 1
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 hoover460 Good Standing Member
Sounds like how I drive all the time!

Glad to hear it helped, mine actually has no shudder, but I need to get the TSB (May build), so who knows after that!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 858, Level 15
Points: 858, Level: 15 Points: 858, Level: 15 Points: 858, Level: 15
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWChris View Post
So if you're reading the other threads you definitely have heard about the clutch issues on the Powershift "auto". I think I may have fixed the problem (at least in my car).

I have a 2012 Focus with a build date of 11/11. There are no software updates available for my car and Ford has claimed no fix for it other than letting the techs do a drive cycle, which does not work.

They say that the clutch needs to "break in", but that doesn't seem to be possible under any reasonable driving conditions so here is what I did...

At 1025 miles, I took the car out to a safe stretch of road, came to a complete stop, then full throttle accelerated to the speed limit. I stopped again and did this 5 to 6 times in succession. I then drove around in select shift mode, down shifting and up shifting at higher RPM's. I performed a few full throttle engagements forcing the car to downshift etc. Basically I went out and worked the clutches as hard as I could for a few minutes. I avoided anything that might be considered extreme or warranty voiding, but I gave it a good go. Immediately, the car was launching and shifting with extreme reduction in the shake/shudder.

At first I was a bit skeptical that I had somehow affected the adaptive learn, but after 2 days the shudder has not returned and it seems to be getting better by the day.

If you want to do it, give it a try.

I wish I didn't have to say this, but I am not to be held accountable for anything you do to your car. This is merely my observation and what you do, is your own responsibility. I have some pretty extensive experience in the Auto industry, but I'm not a Ford Mechanic.
This reminds me of doing a 'tune-up' on old carburated cars, take it out somewhere in the country and floor it! Called blowing out the carbon! It worked remarkably well and everything seemed better, even suspension seemed to work better. Must be all that utilizing the full range of performance rather than a very narrow range that let things seize up.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Think you have to do this to the speed limit or do you think just a series of hard launches using only 1st gear would do the trick? That would seem to be where most of the clutch work would occur. Just trying to suit the technique to my environment.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
NWChris
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93217
What I Drive: 2012 Gray SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 NWChris Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Think you have to do this to the speed limit or do you think just a series of hard launches using only 1st gear would do the trick? That would seem to be where most of the clutch work would occur. Just trying to suit the technique to my environment.

Thanks for the suggestion!
First gear only would probably work fine. I liked the idea of getting a full throttle 1-2 shift in there, but as long as the clutch is making solid/stressed engagement I would have to assume that's fine.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover460 View Post
Sounds like how I drive all the time!

Glad to hear it helped, mine actually has no shudder, but I need to get the TSB (May build), so who knows after that!

Me too !!! Every so often I employ all 160hp and always using sport shift and manual shift to drive with more rpm's. Guess that's why some of ours drive like a dream ... and shift amazingly well.

I also have a May build and just had the TSB done in December and let me tell you it's such an amazing difference after the TSB ... don't wait any longer and have it done right away. Perform the drive cycle yourself even if they say it was done ... just to be sure. Then break it in like you love to drive ... makes a world of difference, you'll see. I also loved mine before the TSB but now it's 10 times better driving, especially in the city.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,833, Level 32
Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
I also have a May build and just had the TSB done in December...
How did you go about getting this? Did you have to complain about the transmission? Or do you have a friendly technician? Because it was a pain for me to get the October update. I still have the jerky stop-and-go issues.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Vernl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92066
What I Drive: 2012 Tri white Titanium 401a

FF Reputation: 1 Vernl Good Standing Member
Seems logical enough, perhaps the clutches can become glazed during the break in period..similar I suppose to ''bedding in '' new brake pads.
I am going to give it shot too.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
one clutch is used on 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear. The other clutch is used for 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear......so I would say working the vehicle through the full range would be best.

I'm a Ford tech but honestly haven't had to work with many of them to hear anything about this (only ever looked at 1 focus for a shift concern and the standard update and drive cycle cured it), but it wouldn't surprise me that you could be experiencing better performance from it.

I know with older diesels, we get elderly people who come in with their 6.0L trucks and they never do anything other than putt around with it. Even while towing, they'll never work a truck hard and never go wide open throttle EVER! It is quite common to get these trucks in and the unison rings in the turbo are seized (the unison ring rotates to allow the vanes in the turbo to open and close). Once it gets seized up, you'll get underboost or overboost codes, lack of power etc. People will never change their driving habit so you'll get the same guy who will run through 2 or 3 turbos during the life of the truck. For the new 6.7L diesel, they had to program the PCM to do a full sweep of the turbo every once in a while to keep it from seizing like it did with the 6.0L......and now we get the old people who complain that their turbo sweeps on its own once in a while. aaaaahhhh!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks