Dissatisfied with Rock Auto - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Marketplace > Vendors, Dealers & Seller Reviews

Vendors, Dealers & Seller Reviews Good or Bad dealings? Post your vendor, dealer or seller recommendations, feedback and comments here. Members who knowingly post false or malicious information will be banned from the site.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Dissatisfied with Rock Auto

Several weeks ago, I ordered a set of CFM CF Mirror Caps:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250898

I later came to find out that the mirror design for SVT/ST models are different than that of Non SVT/STs. I thought, okay, I'll just order the mirrors then since I've been wanting a set anyway.

I then come across the mirror swap write up that Tom did:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231384

I looked at Rock Auto's web site and found the mirrors with the correct part numbers and was very happy with the price of the set.

Now, comes the why I am dissatisfied with Rock Auto. Shopping on their site I find part number FO1320314, which is the driver's side mirror and has this photo:

Then, I find part number FO1321314, which is the passenger's side mirror and has this photo:

Okay, as you can see, the part numbers and photos match up with OEM style SVT Mirrors, which is reinforced by Tom's thread linked above.

I get one mirror, the driver's side in the mail yesterday, but this is what I got:

As you can see, it's a different design from OEM. I was very unhappy with this because now the cool CF caps I bought are STILL not going to work. After reverifying the photos with the part numbers from RA's web site, I was very upset because it wasn't what I had ordered. After a maddening converstion with one of RA's reps on the phone, trying to understand how a part with a different design can have the same part number, I gave up and decided to wait until I get my second mirror, which was scheduled to be delivered the following day.

I got the second one, passenger's side, and being skeptical due to the condition of the box, I inpected this one for damage. The condition of the mirror was good, given the condition of the box, and then I noticed that the mirror cap that came with this one was for the driver's side. Now, I'm very unhappy and make another phone call to RA and had to take a good 10 minutes to explain the the rep about the mirror cap being the wrong one. It took every once of will power NOT to just return the set and get my money back.

However, I was patient and he sent me a shipping label so I can return the defective mirror so they can get me the right one.

My assessment of Rock Auto:
Good Price: yes
Fast Shipping: yes
Accurate Description of Item: No.

I understand the concept of photos when ordering from the Internet, but when I get an OEM part number off of a car enthusiast web site and then look up said part number on a company's web site and the number and photo match up with the description of what I'm looking for, then I expect to get exactly what I ordered. Their web site should have noted that this was NOT an OEM part, but is an AFTERMARKET replacement for those OEM part numbers, but then that just takes me back to the part I said about a part with a different design having same part number. This was not the case and thus makes my first time ordering from Rock Auto a very nerve racking and upsetting experience. Will I order from them again? Who's to say, but it's not very likely.

Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
That really sucks! I can't say I've had any bad experiences with Rock Auto but I mostly order parts for my Merkur for which I only order Motorcraft parts.

Maybe you could find someone parting out a SVT/ST or get lucky and find a SVT/ST in a salvage yard somewhere.

Hope everything works out for ya cause those mirror caps are dope!
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Yeah, I really liked them and was really looking forward to seeing them on my car, but for some reason, I'm that guy that can't get the right parts when everyone else can. FML. CFM was cool, though, and said I can return the caps.
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I generally promote Rockauto when people need parts and have had no problems with my few orders, but there is often little information about the parts themselves, they could definitely do better about that. Sorry to hear about the frustrations.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Carl... judging by the mirror cap I think they sent you a mirror for a taurus.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Once I get the other mirror back, I'll try and install them. But they look like they'll fit. If they don't, that'll be strike three for them.
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If you go to fordparts.com ford uses the same part numbers for everything which have a right and left side. I guess that's how they do things. It's prolly not RA it's prolly Ford.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 40437
What I Drive: 2001 Infa Red SE

FF Reputation: 10 Red01Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (56)
mike,those are what they have listed as svt mirrors,i have the same set on my fiance's focus. they aren't bad but i would be upset spending good money on a set of cf caps and not being able to use them plus getting the wrong capped shipped
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
DaWagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92784
What I Drive: 2000 Orangish Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 DaWagon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In argument case RockAuto does describe the parts as VARIOUS MFR Part # FO1320314 which mean's that its not OEM Ford. I ran into this issue before with RockAuto's pictures, they are not 100% accurate.

I pulled one of these from my stock from my work and checked it out compared to the image and its bang on! Give RockAuto another chance lol
Old 01-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_mclaren View Post
If you go to fordparts.com ford uses the same part numbers for everything which have a right and left side. I guess that's how they do things. It's prolly not RA it's prolly Ford.
I ordered the parts from Rock Auto, I sent my money to Rock Auto, thus Rock Auto is responsible for making the customer happy. These part numbers were not in Ford Parts' catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red01Focus View Post
mike,those are what they have listed as svt mirrors,i have the same set on my fiance's focus. they aren't bad but i would be upset spending good money on a set of cf caps and not being able to use them plus getting the wrong capped shipped
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWagon View Post
In argument case RockAuto does describe the parts as VARIOUS MFR Part # FO1320314 which mean's that its not OEM Ford. I ran into this issue before with RockAuto's pictures, they are not 100% accurate.

I pulled one of these from my stock from my work and checked it out compared to the image and its bang on! Give RockAuto another chance lol
What is the design underneath the mirror cap? I may not know the whole ins and outs when it comes to part numbers and stuff, but this is the validity of my argument. Looking at a member's thread, Tom's that I linked above, and going off of that information and using the part numbers, pictures and web site, I go to the same web site, look for the same part numbers and it has the same picture, but I get something different??? I mean, WTF?!? That is the point I'm trying to make.
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->