introducing myself + ask for help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Regional Forums > Overseas Fanatics > Fanatics: Europe

Fanatics: Europe Europe & UK Global Forum

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
mike_surrey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92930
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Black

FF Reputation: 1 mike_surrey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
introducing myself + ask for help

Hello Everyone,

my name is Michal, l live near London and I drive black 2000 Focus 1.8 Zetec manual.

I have a problem with the car and I thought to ask for your help. My car is revving itself, usually straight when I start the engine. It is getting worse now, it revvs itself when no gear is selected also when I drive and press clutch it starts revving. Sometimes it stays within 2-3k but recently revvs to 4k - which is frustrating. The car accelerates by itself when in a gear (I don't touch the gas pedal). It sometimes stops doing that after I keep the clutch for one-three minutes and gets 'normal'. But recently, before going to normal, the revvs drop down too low so the engine almost stalls and then, after 3 seconds it gets to normal idle mode. I did the ECU reading which shown nothing. I have read on the internet that this could be Throttle Position Sensor or idle control valve sensor. Unfortunately my funds are limited so I would like for your suggestions without trying both. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,885, Level 39
Points: 3,885, Level: 39 Points: 3,885, Level: 39 Points: 3,885, Level: 39
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Doesn't really sound like a throttle positioning problem, it sounds more likely to be a dirty IAC valve BUT it could also be a dirty MAF sensor.

Both of these are easy to clean but I'm not familiar with the 1.8 so hopefully someone can chime in with detailed instructions.

One thing you might do that could improve the condition would be to disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes and then reconnect it. This will reset the ECU to its defaults and could possibly remedy the problem, at least temporarily. It won't hurt anything if you try it.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
mike_surrey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92930
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Black

FF Reputation: 1 mike_surrey Good Standing Member
Thank you very much for suggestions -I am going to disconnect the battery and see if it helps.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
SonicZXIII
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90927
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SonicZXIII Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i honestly would clean and oil your entire throttle body... the 1.8 im not sure if it has it but check for a TPS (throttle position sensor) sometime this will act up and cause it to rev uncontrollably. the other thing i can think of is the throttle cable sticking,
Old 01-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
Ian.Deasy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93286
What I Drive: 2003 Capri Blue ST170 (uk spec)

FF Reputation: 1 Ian.Deasy Good Standing Member
The early 1800 had a calibration issue that would hold the revs up. Might be worth checking your car is running the latest software. That will involve a trip to a Ford dealer.
The other potential area of concern is the crankcase vent pipe to the back of the inlet manifold. It usually crushes in on itself then splits giving and air leak that leads to all kinds of errayic idling.
On top of that I would check the idle speed control valve. They are known for sticking, they are a bit of a pig to get too as they live on the underside of the inlet manifold, but if you can get to it they are only held on with 2 8mm bolts. Take it out and immerse it in brake/carb cleaner for a while, that usually frees them off, but while its off its worth checking eBay as you can pick them up new for around 40. I got one for my wifes 2.0 Maverick (same basic engine) and its been fine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.