Thermostat change - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
herman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53783
What I Drive: 2007 Red SES

Points 1,051, Level 17
Points: 1,051, Level: 17 Points: 1,051, Level: 17 Points: 1,051, Level: 17
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 herman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thermostat change

How do I change a Thermostat in a 2007, 2.0 Duratec ? I had a diagnostics ran on my car and it revealed that my Tstat is bad, in need of instructions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 9,593, Level 65
Points: 9,593, Level: 65 Points: 9,593, Level: 65 Points: 9,593, Level: 65
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 59%
Activity: 59% Activity: 59% Activity: 59%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
how to archive
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's not an easy one, and I don't believe there is a How-To on changing a Duratec thermostat. First off, you should verify that the thermostat is bad. Thermostats go bad one of 2 ways: stick open, stick closed. If it was stuck closed, then you'd be overheating unless you drive a very short distance, and don't warm up the car. Most likely, if the diagnostics ring true, the thermostat is stuck open. This is easy to verify. We have a test mode built into our electronic odometer that can help you monitor engine temp more precisely than the gauge. Here's how to do it: Key off, hold down the odo reset button, turn key to ON, continue to hold odo reset. The gauges will jump up and down, and the odo will read [test], now each time you press and release the odo reset button you'll scroll through one of 30 test functions. You're looking for the odo to read [15 C] or whatever temp makes sense for your vehicle at that time. Now start the engine without turning the key OFF. The odo will remain in test mode until you turn the key OFF. Drive normally and keep half an eye on the temp. You should see it rise up to about 92C, and then fall back down to 70 or 80 C as the thermostat opens. The cycle will continue until you maintain an engine temp around 90C which is your thermostat temp IIRC. It might be above that, but that would be normal. What would not be normal- and a sign of a stuck open thermostat- is for your temp to never cycle, and just warm up slowly over about 20 mins of highway driving to 70 or 80C. I'm sorry the readout is in C, but that's the breaks. At least you can watch it and see if the thermostat is actually doing it's job.

As far as changing it- you'll first have to figure out which thermostat you have. There are 2- one with a sensor, and one without. Then you'll have to get the part which, if you have the sensor, is about $120. You'll also need an intake manifold gasket, and coolant to refill the system of what you lose. The thermostat is on the front side of the engine at the top of the lower radiator hose- exactly the opposite place you'd think it was if you're used to working on cast iron engines. You'll need a mechanic's mirror to check and see if you have the sensor. The thermostat will be directly under the intake runner for cyl #1. Mine doesn't have the sensor, so I can't tell you anything except you'll see wires coming out of the plastic thermostat housing.

Unfortunately, these cars don't have a simple replaceable thermostat like we're used to. That's part of the reason why, if I were you, I'd want to verify that the thermostat was bad, and someone's diagnostics weren't bad instead. Even if you do this yourself, you're looking at $200ish in parts if you have the sensor, and $100 or so if you don't.

All these prices are based on RockAuto's thermostat price. We do get a discount, but do double check. It costs nothing except maybe a little time to figure out the difference between a temp in C and a temp in F.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
maloken
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103321
What I Drive: 2007 pitch black zx4

FF Reputation: 1 maloken Good Standing Member
Hi there, I am new to the forum, and have no idea how to use it yet. I have been trying to get answers on changing the t-stat on my 07 focus and have found nothing useful as of yet. This is my wifes work car and we need it up and running asap, so any help would be greatly appreciated from any of you. I have cleaned the radiator, inside and out, changed the coolant, and the water pump, as it was suggested that at 130,000 miles it is or was due anyway. Still, the problem persists, the car runs at normal temps, and warms up normally, then fluctuates towards the "way high" side when climbing hills or the like. Ideas?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Prof. Gump
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 196849
What I Drive: 2007 Focus SE

Points 23, Level 1
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Prof. Gump Good Standing Member
Thermostat not opening?

I'm hoping someone will reply to this old thread if I bump it with this question. I just put a Stant 38708 in my 2007 Focus that had a P0125 error. I'd watched the temp on the odo readout prior to the change, and the engine was slowly, slowly climbing to around 70C. Now, after the new thermostat, the temp climbs to over 100C. It seems this thermostat, which is supposed to open at around 82C, is not opening at all. I'm hoping someone can disagree or agree with that, tell me if the temp sensor is bad, or if I need to get another thermostat or what. I don't want to just hop in there and pull the new one out. My hands are sliced all to pieces from the sharp edges on the intake manifold and the cladding on those hoses. It was NOT a fun job getting that sucker in there!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
spacemanspif
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 188025
What I Drive: 2007 ZXW SES

Points 120, Level 2
Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 spacemanspif Good Standing Member
Might have trapped air in the system. Did you fill the block through the upper hose? When I did the engine swap in my other car I had to fill the block before the stat would open and function properly. These engines have a more complicated cooling system and you might need to fill the rad too if the surge tank doesn't drain directly to fill it.

Last edited by spacemanspif; 11-21-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 1,580, Level 22
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 9 Marde Good Standing Member
I am no T-Stat expert, so can not help that much. I replaced mine with this type/brand->
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I remember, my engine goes up to about 110 - 115 C, then cools-down, then goes back-up and repeats this cycle. Back when I replaced it, I researched my temperature results, and found my coolant temp range was OK. These temp measurements were done using the on board diag "odometer test mode".

Seems like your car is fine now; and prior to replacing your T-stat, it was stuck open. Repeat your test; what Temp does it hit before going down? -and Must Be before the dumb needle gauge in the dash starts to point to Red.

Smart people (not me) test new T-stats on a bench before installing them in a car.

""supposed to open at around 82C""
That does not sound like the correct T-stat for a Duratec Focus. -wrong, see EDIT below.

You replaced the T-stat without removing the IM? Far-out man.

EDIT: Just noticed at the Amazon link above, it says;
Notes: Temperature: 180F, Included Components: Includes housing and seal, OEM Recommended Temp

180F = 82C so I guess your 82C T-stat is perfect. So why does my car cycle at HI temp of about 110 or 115C....? FWIW, my temp tests were done during the Summer and the outside temps were hot, about 100F.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 1,580, Level 22
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 9 Marde Good Standing Member
Yikes! Prior to my post, I did not read the lengthy post made by whynotthinkwhynot <shown above>. Now I have.

Maybe my t-stat does cycle open/closed at much lower temps than I said above; I hope so... The temps I said above (done during a hot summer day) were MOST LIKELY the results of the HI SPEED radiator fans coming on & off and cooling the system. Hmmm? I will have to dig around and learn/re-learn this stuff again. Sorry if I confused you Prof. Gump.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
Prof. Gump
Focus Rookie

Points 23, Level 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Thanks!

Thanks to you both. I am pretty sure that I put in as much coolant as came out, but I'll check it by filling my drain pan to the level that it was when I dumped it, to see if that matches the amount I put back in. Maybe it is an air bubble.... Because I did just fill back through the reservoir tank. But I did get in a little over a gallon that way, maybe about 4.5-5 quarts, and that's roughly what came out, since I was using an oil drain pan, and I know about what 4.5 quarts looks like in it.

I read in another post that the car should be going up to the low 90s and then cycling back down. I think I got up to 105? That was in 20 minutes of driving, partly with the air conditioning on. The temp was only dropping when I backed off my speed or reduced load by turning the AC off.

And, yeah, doing this with the manifold on was not fun, but I didn't want to take all that off too and get a gasket and all. I don't think it would have been so bad but for all the sharp edges and the trouble I had getting light on what I was doing. I was pretty lucky with those locking hose clamps. It turned out that big pair of channel locks works well enough on those.

An FYI for anyone else hitting this thread, the Ford dealer told me that the OEM thermostat is out-of-stock all around the US and is listed to be unavailable for at least 30 days. The parts guy at Ford suggested that this might be because Ford was going to let that go to just being an aftermarket part.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Prof. Gump
Focus Rookie

Points 23, Level 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Oh, one more thing....

My car has the 2.0L Duratec in it, if that would make a difference.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.