Strange acceleration sound - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
goosta
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14356
What I Drive: 2000 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 goosta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Strange acceleration sound

Our 2000 ZTS is making a strange sound when accelerating from a stopped position. Iíve been trying to think of how to describe it without much luck. Itís quite loudÖmaybe a deep pinging sound? It occurs when the car is stopped and the accelerator is pressed and only lasts for a few seconds. It is very loud when the car has been sitting overnight, or an otherwise decent amount of time. We havenít noticed the sound during acceleration while the car is in motion. Also the idle has been pretty rough lately.

I didn't know about the fuel pump recall - could this be the problem? If we take it in for the recall service, are all costs covered? We don't have a penny to spare right now...

Thanks for your help!

*EDIT*

My local ford dealer has a recall search based on the VIN. I searched for recalls and it found none. Ours was manufactured on 9/11/1999...doesn't that fall within the fuel pump recall?

Last edited by goosta; 10-15-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 09:20 AM   #2
j.a.dj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11556
What I Drive: 2002 white zx3

FF Reputation: 1 j.a.dj Good Standing Member
i had that kinda problem but mine happend all at once and it made all kinds of bogdown sounds, and then it just made one big screech and then died, but i let it cool down and then it would go a little bit kinda like it over heated ,but i dont know much about cars and engines and stuff but my problem was the fuel pump and i had to get it replaced ,but im in the middle of geting re-embursed for it ,but your problem sounds a little different than mine ,but ya i hope you can find some help on here if not then take it in to ford and have it checked out.

man do i use the word "but" to much must be a fetish or something

peace
Old 10-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
avengerc4
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(

Fan#: 493
What I Drive: 02 PWorks SVTF, 2014 Subaru Outback

FF Reputation: 4 avengerc4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
a loud noise? mine has a weird not whining sound but hissing sound and I think its either a leak in the exhaust or the air gettin sucked in through my drop-in K&N air filter, but a pinging noise? not a sucking sound or anything? huh...could be fuel pump?
Old 10-16-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
d3bilhan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12408
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 d3bilhan Good Standing Member
Your description sounds almost like valve a valve sticking.
How many mile does your focus have? What oil type and weight do you have in it?

[img]

Bookmarks & Social Networks